Bigbury-on-Sea, Burgh Island, TQ7 4BG, United Kingdom

More about Burgh Island Hotel

Deco De-Lovely!!

by TripAdvisor Member ArchwayLurcher

I was rather bemused to read some of reviews of Burgh Island, and indeed wonder if these stangely anonymous reviewers were staying in the same place as me! I too visited the hotel some years ago, and again this summer. To the reviewer who thought the place was more akin to MFI, I would say they must have a very splendid MFI near them! Further, I saw no "shabby reproduction" only very beautiful orginal furniture etc. (as a collector of 30 years standing I think I have some idea of what I'm talking about!). I would comment here that when I originally stayed there, whilst the stay was pleasant, certain aspects of the hotel reminded me of the 1970s!

As far as the staff and management are concerned, we found them efficient, polite, attentive and friendly and indeed plan to return in summer 2005.

SHame about the staff (and rubbish)

Visited the Island and Pub on 12 Oct 2004. West side of the island was just one rubbish dump. Rubbish under the windsock on overgrown sad-looking heli-pad was not at all inspiring. Neither was the run-down appearance of the hotel. The worst was the unfriendly bar-man in the pub. He wasn't just rude to us - another couple commented to us about his behaviour. Our experience wasn't unique - they had visited many times before and never experienced anything like it previously! Also cheap chipped plates for our overpriced sandwiches mean we are unlikely to go back. Maybe that is what the present owners want. So sad - especially when you read how the previous owners genuinely loved the place and ALL Visitors not just hotel guests.

The most romantic and friendly place I have ever been

We have just returned from one night at the unusual Art Deco hotel called Burgh Island. I have never had such amazing food as I had there - and this is coming from a top chef - that I am. The staff were more than fully supportive of whatever you want and wherever you want to go. Despite my other half having turned up with only one shoe they treated us with total respect. The view and ambience of the whole island is exceptional. The Pilchard pub, dating from the 1300's has the best guiness and exceptional food, yet is a stone's throw from the hotel and you can run one tab. The unusual allowance of a lie in with a late check out time means that you can just relax in the morning, snuggled up in their luxurious dressing gowns, staring out accross the sea, listening to oyster catchers and dreaming of living there. All in all it was the best place to fall in love which I did and not just with the place. Can't wait to go back.

I can’t believe some of the negative reviews of Burgh Island!

I can’t believe some of the negative reviews of Burgh Island! They seem more like personal attacks on the current owners, Deborah Clark and Tony Orchard. If the previous owners were so wonderful, why did they almost run the hotel into the ground. I have been a regular guest on the Island over the last three years. Deborah and Tony have invested a great deal of time, effort, and money gradually restoring the Hotel to it’s former glory. This has been with the help and support of it’s wonderful staff, especially Connor, the Head Chef and Gary (McBar) the Palm Court Barman. Deborah & Tony have once again put Burgh Island firmly back on the map. Keep up the good work.

An objective review.

by TripAdvisor Member palldoc

In the last 5 years I have stayed in twenty 5 star hotels, in Europe, America and Asia. Burgh Island is the best hotel I have visited. The Hotel is unique, rooms excellent. My wife is an art deco collector, so I can vouch for authenticity. It is formal yet relaxed. The food is excellent and the atmosphere perfect for a romantic weekend, stepping back in time. Garys bar is something out of this world. I reccommend the "Mermaids Kiss" cocktail.
The staff were friendly, courteous and accommodating.
We look forward to returning and become one of the many who stay year after year. I want this review to be considered as objective. Many of the negative reviews I have read are too vitriolic to be taken seriously. Burgh Island is the real deal. Worth every penny.

It's The Top... Fantastic Times at Burgh Island

We always stay at the best hotels, this year we have stayed at Raffles Hotel in Singapore 4 times, and we have stayed at Burgh Island hotel Twice, each time for two nights and on our first visit we treated my sister and her husband as well. We are also going back again next year again with my sister and her husband. The dinner dance was great fun, the atmosphere was of one which seemed to capture the spirit of how it t’was in days gone past. We all love to dress up and how nice it was to find almost all the gentleman in Black tie and ladies in gowns. Fantastic!!!
The first sight of the hotel as you drive down the hill at Bigbury is one of great excitement, it is very impressive. We were welcomed to the hotel with a great deal of friendliness by the staff, and whilst I do agree about the lack of porters (Which the owners are addressing) it wasn’t exactly hard to take our suitcase to our suite. We have always found the suites to be clean and very presentable with original art deco antiques.
The food was truly amazing the presentation was magnificent. And the star staff member has to be Gary! He is friendly but not over familiar, and he helped make our stays just that bit better. We have seen the improvements of the renovation work on the hotel this year. It is slowly coming back to its former glory. If you want to relax and wake up and hear...nothing but the seagulls cry, I can think of no other place in this country where you could or would want to go to.
There are several very negative reviews of this hotel on trip advisor which seem suspiciously similar. All I could say is, if you are in any doubt of this hotel I would recommend you call the hotel. As for Deborah and Tony, they are very welcoming and value their guests highly. It was great fun, and we will be going again soon!

Burgh Island - A magical place to stay

We have visited Burgh Island several times, but only recently had the opportunity to stay at the hotel. It was a memorable experience. The dinner was exquisite, and with a dance band that blended very well with the stylish surroundings.

The land and sea view from our suite was second to none. The breakfast was served in our favourite dining room, and the food was well up to the standard of the dinner, with the friendly and helpful service from the staff.

A walk around the island was the ideal way to burn off some callories, and the views are stunning when the weather is good. We look forward to returning Burgh Island to this truly unique hotel.

A wonderful weekend

As a party of 6, we stayed at Burgh Island for a weekend in November. From the moment we walked through the front door we were transported back in time to the decadent 1930s. The suites were fantastic right down to the bakelite telephones. The food and wine was excellent and we took full advantage of the live music on Saturday night and enjoyed showing off our foxtrots.

This hotel is magical and if you want to experience the style and sophistication of past times it is an absolute must. It is not for those seeking a sleek modern hotel chain devoid of personality and charm.

We read the 'ugly review' and can honestly say that we feel this person could not have been staying at the same hotel. We do not have any complaints, just compliments and one request - on our last day we sat out on the veranda reading the Sunday papers in our winter coats and would have welcomed steamer chairs with blankets - just like the 1930's liners! Thank you for a wonderful weekend.

An English Institution

My family and I have now celebrated New Years Eve on two separate and consecutive occasions at the Burgh Island hotel.
We have just returned from our recent celebrations and I have read with interest some of the vitriolic and brutal comments posted on TRIPADVISOR and decided to submit what I believe is a balanced, objective and informed opinion.
1.Location – Views from the bedroom out to sea and along the shore line are unforgettable. They are typically English and can be very dramatic during stormy winter weather.
2.Architecture and fabric of the building – The architecture is superb but does not lend itself to easy or cheap refurbishment. The fabric in some areas [particularly the palm court lounge and bar] is in need of repair and is on the “to do” list.
3.Internal décor – All public rooms [with the exception of the palm court facilities] are excellent and evoke memories of the 1920/30’s. Some bedrooms look “tired” and are in need of upgrade. Rooms already re-furbished are excellent although we may not agree with choice of colours.
4.Food – Absolutely superb! Presented exquisitely and with imagination
5.Staff – Some of the most attentive, pleasant and friendly hotel staff we have met. Garry the barman and Trevor the tractor driver run the serious risk of becoming legends in their own time.
6.General ambience and culture – Simply unique! This aspect above all will continue to attract guests. The obligatory wearing of formal dress for dinner in our opinion, underpins values which sadly were lost long ago elsewhere.
7.The pub [Pilchard] – Now run by a couple of “old professionals” who know their trade and make customers feel extremely welcome. Beef sandwiches with horseradish, together with a pint of “Christmas Cracker” consumed in front of the log fire cannot be bettered anywhere.
8.The Sea Tractor – An incredible piece of engineering and in integral part of the hotels unique location.
9.Business strategy – I personally do not think the owners have yet harmonised their one off day tripper customer strategy with those who are paying reasonably high prices for staying in a unique location. This is not easy and I look forward to seeing how Deborah and Tony tackle this issue.
10.Concluding remarks – I am a retired director of a FTSE 100 company and a Yorkshire man not noted for “parting with his hard earned brass” easily!
In my opinion, the hotel gives good value for money [not yet excellent] in an environment which is unique. The main challenge for Tony and Deborah remains refurbishment of some parts of the hotel fabric and décor. My family and I fully intend to continue to patronise the Burgh Island hotel. We are not merely paying for hotel accommodation, but access to an English institution. We would visit even more frequently, but Deborah insists we leave our two whippets at home and I remove my flat cap when dining.

Valentine's Day 2005

My wife and I have just returned from a two-day Valentine's Day break at Burgh Island. I had intended to book this hotel for some time but was initially somewhat put off by some very negative reviews on this site. However, I decided that we should decide for ourselves, and boy was I glad that we did! The location is simply stunning, the food fantastic and the 'feel' of the place is exactly as it should be - a 1930s retreat and haven from the pressures of everyday modern life. A lot of time, effort and money has obviously been spent on refurbishment. The staff were friendly and attentive throughout. You felt that it was the sort of place where you could go to alone and still have a great time. Our room (The Mountbatten) was spacious, comfortable and in period style. The few gripes that we did have were minor in character and should be quite simple to rectify. Although the staff were attentive, we felt that the bar area was somewhat neglected during the day and very often guests were forced to go in search of someone to serve them. Perhaps a bell or some such system to attract attention could be used? The only other problem we encountered was actually getting off the island. Although we had been warned that it sometimes took a little while to depart at peak times, we weren't quite prepared for the hour it took us (and the many other guests that decided to check out at 10:45) to get across the water. Quite why it took so long was unclear - no land rovers were ferrying anyone across and we all had to wait to be herded into the sea tractor, which although quite fun was absolutely rammed by this stage! Not the ideal way to leave the island when carrying evening dresses and suits! We could (as is suggested) have requested priority or specified a time for departure but we were unaware of the scale of delay that was possible! These were however minor problems and have been included for the purpose of completeness only. Our break at Burgh Island was a roaring success and we were absolutely captivated by the whole experience of our stay. We would wholehearted recommend the hotel - we will certainly be returning quite often!

Comments