Earl of Mar Estate, Bishopton PA7 5NW, Scotland

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Mar Hall

Mar Hall Birthday Treat

by TripAdvisor Member Scouse-Trippers

When we arrived at Mar Hall we where greeted by extremely friendly reception staff. Our luggage was then taken to our room by an also extremely helpful and friendly bell boy. We stayed in a suite in room 7. There was a fresh chocolate birthday cake for me and champagne on ice which was great. The suite was as you would expect from a five star SLH hotel. The view was just fantastic, with picturesque views of the river clyde through two large three quarter length windows. The suite had a four poster bed with modern but 'classic' fitments and decor that complimented the period mansion house. The very large bathroom was also to a very high standard with his and her sinks, bath and glass shower cubical. The main living area was also large with a number of different seating areas with views over the clyde. The room in short was outstanding and more then met my wife's and my very high standards.

The only negatives I would point out is the hotel let themselves down by using cheap bedding sheets and foam pillows.
The evening food was also exceptional but the cooked breakfast was not perhaps to the level you might expect for a hotel of this standard.The cooked breakfast at the weekend was buffet style and some of the cooked produce, in particular the sauages, tasted slightly cheap.Also there was no haggis which was a shame.Also, we felt the repetitive 'chill out' music which was played at Dinner was also not in keeping with the atmosphere and the level of dining experience. The final thing which was a dissapointment was that even though there were many grand open fire places throughout the Hotels public areas, not one of them was in use. Instead of log fires - logs which could be supplied via 'natural maintenance' from the hotels surrounding acres of land - there were instead candles in all of them (we were told this was due to Health and Safety) but we have stayed in many period mansion Hotels in Scotland and have found that an open log fire really adds to the romantic, relaxing feeling. To be honest, I'm being picky here with these things as the hotel on the whole was exceptional and obviously the hotel management and staff set themselves a very high standard and these are just a few very small negatives that could be easily addressed quite quickly.
Our hotel suite was kept spotlessly clean and tidy by the cleaning staff (who we never saw or heard more importantly) with champagne and belgium chocolates provided each day and always ready on our return from breakfast each morning. The bed was also turned down every evening in time for our return from dinner.

My wife and I spent Sunday afternoon reading the Sunday newspapers in the grand hall. The hall has high vaulted cellings and is 188 ft . in the afternoon light beams through large three quarter length period windows. The hall, is indeed, 'grand' and has a grand Victorian 'Empire' feel to it, with it's large beautiful period furniture, black grand piano and a few large tropical plants.
After all that reading and relaxing- never wanting for fresh tea or coffee- we had developed a bit of a hunger, so we ordered some afternoon tea. Scones with fresh clotted cream, mixed sandwiches including smoked salmon and a good selection of cakes, all served on traditional silverware which was very nice indeed.

In summary this hotel was excellent and my wife and I would highly recommend this exceptional scottish retreat to anyone thinking of going. We didn't make use of the Spa or fitness facilities that the Hotel had to offer so we cannot comment on these. On top of the five star grandeur of the mansion house I would say every single member of staff made us feel special, was friendly helpful and very efficient, our stay was made effortless - which for us is a big plus .I know it's a five star hotel but I've stayed in a lot of five star hotels around the world and unfortunately ,in the UK, I've found that five star staff don't always accompany a five star setting. Thankfully this was not the case at Mar Hall. My wife and I lead very stressful lives - don't we all ! - but if you are looking for a five star scottish retreat with good food, charm,history, character and excellent customer service then this is it. Go there and enjoy and if you can, stay in room 7 !

perhaps the best hotel in Scotland?

by TripAdvisor Member tonyglasgow1

I have stayed at Mar Hall twice in the last 2 months, and love it.

The hotel is beautiful, as are the gardens. The views are stunning.

The food is excellent.

The staff are very friendly and welcoming. Jeanette is a superb host, and makes you feel like you're in a big family home rather than a hotel.

Before you leave you must experience the AVEDA spa, and other leisure facilities.

Loved the place - will definitely be back soon.

avery relaxing time

by TripAdvisor Member gcarr2803

We arrived at Mar Hall and were greeted at the door and our bag taken
away. When we checked in our room was not yet ready (we were early) so we were shown to the Leisure complex to use the pool / sauna etc. Can't fault the staff and reception we received.

The pool etc were very nice (but could do with a water fountain outside the sauna).

When we left the leisure centre we were met en route by the reception
lady who called us by name and informed us the room was ready and our
bag had been delievered to the room. The room was very nice, spacious, large bathroom, sitting area and looked out on to the gardens. The champagne and chocolates I had orderd were chilling in the room - bonus points for me from my wife!

We had booked dinner for 7:30 and went to the bar for pre-dinner drinks. Again service was very good and we were brought menus to browse before ordering. Table was ready promptly and the food was very nice.

Breakfast the following day was okay, but not the best part of the stay. Thre was very little continental style food, a minor gripe. The
staff were all very young, but on the whole were pretty good. There was a wedding on during our stay but it didn't impact on our stay or service we received. Thoroughly recommend it.

a little bit of luxury...

by TripAdvisor Member glasgowgirl2007

Hotel is gorgeous, exterior as well as rooms. Surroundings are lovely too - wouldn't think you were 15min drive from Glasgow city centre.

Girls at check in desk were very helpful, there was a wedding on both days we were there but we didn't hear much noise as the reception room they use is detached from the main hotel.

Rooms had everything you'd need for a cosy stay - such comfy bathrobes, dvd player, cd player, tv, iron& board, hairdryer,...

only thing that was a bit weird was at night we left to go for dinner outwith the hotel when we got back the room had been tidied a nice surprise as I usually expect them to knock on your door very early morning.

didn't have food in the hotel so cannot comment on that but with everything else in the hotel being of a high standard I expect the food would be good too.

Can't wait to go back to this hotel - definetly worth every penny spent!

Aawsome

by TripAdvisor Member JAX83

We booked our wedding here after falling in love with the hotel on our way to see another - this was April 2006. After deciding this was
the one we spoke to friends and family, we had some feedback that as this was a new hotel it still had a little work to make it true 5 star.

However i have to say that the service was outstanding, we arrived on
the Friday night with all out luggage which was taken to our rooms. On the saturday of the actual wedding the staff were excellent, they really seemed axcited about the wedding as well even though im sure it doubles their work load. All my guests were blown away and are still talking about it.

My husband and i stayed an extra night before heading off on honeymoon. The room and views are stunning.The dinner was great and we had a fun chat with the bar guy that night. It felt like it was our house on the Sunday.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone - Please try thr hot and sour prawn soup its amazing .10/10

Comments