Freepost, Auchterarder, Perth and Kinross, SC PH3 1BR, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Gleneagles Hotel

Traditional Excellence

Gleneagles hotel is set in magnificent countryside about 1 hours drive north of Glasgow and Edinburgh. The facilities are extensive and the environment is traditional. The distinguishing feature, however, is the quality of service provided by well trained and attentive staff. I have stayed at this hotel on a number of accasions ( 10 approx.) over the years and have found the quality of service throughout to be consistently excellent. It is, to say the least, unusual to experience such uniformity on the positive side of service delivery.

Scottish Stunner

by TripAdvisor Member Chezza27

The Gleneagles Hotel does live up to its reputation and meets expectations - the restaurants are all fantastic (though "The Club" restaurant in the spa doesn't serve salads which is mildly annoying and somewhat bizarre), the golf courses are stunning, the building is majestic and the rooms are all good - in the new building they're quite modern whilst in the main house they're traditional but without being chintzy. The carpets in the house are all in really poor condition which I guess they'll be rectifying in their continued renovations. Overall, a big thumbs up, especially for food-loving golf nuts.

Number one of the 50 things to do before you die!

I have visited Gleneagles on many occasions for leisure and buisness and every time I have been more than happy with the hotel the food, the staff, the golf and the rooms are brilliant but expensive. So if you have a large budget or if you are planning that once in a lifetime vacation it is one the 50 things to do before you die!

Absolutely fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member rush2112

This was our third two day break at Gleneagles in the last three years. The breakfast is an experience in itself as teh choice and quality shouts out 5 star fare. We asked for an upgrade on arrival after being given a classic room on the fourth floor. All we can say is you should refuse to go up there as the rooms are tiny and the decor leaves a lot to be desired... more like 3 star than 5 star.

After complaining we were moved to a fantastic estate room with views over the gardens to the golf courses. The room was exactly as the website portrays estate rooms and was pure luxury.

The pools within the hotel are superb. The only complaint would be that the water is a bit too warm for serious swimming, but then again you go to this hotel for luxury!

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member Billybugle

Brilliant welcoming hotel,even at check in my 4 year old was personally welcomed .The room we were given was warm and bright with great views.Bathroom fantastic.
There was a problem with the fire in the room , I phoned housekeeping and 5 minutes later the repair man was at the door .
Lovely pool and facilities which lend itself to feeling cocooned from the presures of the outside world.
Excellent food and even better service in the Club plus The Strathearn.
Can't wait to go back!
The hotel is worth the money.

Not as good as the hype

by TripAdvisor Member d14doc

We have stayed here three times, and to be honest, it is not that great. The last time we were there, we had big problems with our evening meal in the Strathearn restaurant, and the service was embarassingly bad.

The rooms have been renovated, and are all different shapes and sizes. Very tasteful, and comfy.

This hotel is definitely over-rated, and we won't be rushing back.

Great location, room decor (for new rooms) but a bit overrated?

by TripAdvisor Member dubainick

My wife and I stayed there for 3 nights in second week of June for a conference. We had one of the Braid House rooms - the modern extension built for G7 conference. Room size and decor were excellent, although the electronic controls for the room were a joke - buttons switching on wrong things all the time. Grounds are wonderful and facility choice is superb (but not time to take advantage of it). My wife did use the pool and spa facilities and thought they were a bit dated and gloomy. One of my colleagues was in one of the older rooms and made the same comment - especially compared to modern rooms in which she had stayed previously. I thought breakfasts were OK but had better, and at £20 not exactly cheap. Lunch time meals were pretty good for main course, nothing special for starter and dessert. Conference ball room was awful for purpose - dark and cold. We ate only one dinner in - in Strathearn Restaurant where breakfast is held - and tend to find that also a little gloomy. I thought the food was OK but nothing special - and had a much better meal at much lower cost at East Haugh Hotel in Pitlochry on same trip.
Service - a little inconsistent. Breakfast, friendly but sometimes dubious competence. Bar one evening - awful and surly.
In conclusion, the location and facilities are superb and modern rooms are very good. At £250 corporate rate- great. At £450 rack rate, I am not too sure.

Glorious Gleneagles

by TripAdvisor Member dreamholiday

Spent 2 nights here in Sept in a executive room. Beautiful location and beautiful hotel.
Spa is a fantastic treat but you really need to book ahead. Wonderfully looked after and pampered!
Afternoon tea a must but be prepared to spent 50 quid a head once you add on 2 glasses of champagne!
Breakfasts were excellent. All in all a fantastic weekend!

Flawless!

by TripAdvisor Member sankhya

I have been fortunate to have stayed at several world class hotels, but Gleneagles may well be my favorite. Sometimes at world-class hotels (Claridges, Plaza Athenee, etc.) I am made to feel inferior walking around in my jeans, but not so at Gleneagles.

I admit that I was there to help arrange a company golf tournament, so cost was not a deciding issue. However, I was very surprised to see so many "ordinary" looking families, so perhaps cost is not completely prohibitive. And, as a non-golfer, I was pleased to see so many other activies of interest, including a truly superb spa. The rooms are contemporary and clearly focused on comfort. You did not feel as if you are staying in a museum or that anything is too precious (see photos of the room).

The beauty of the building and the grounds is almost indescribable, and I am sure it is golf heaven. But it was the staff who really made the stay memorable. Nothing was beyond their bidding; in fact, my companions and I secretely tried to get them to say "no", but we were without luck! It seems your wish is their command.

The bagpiper plays every evening at 6:00 or so at the front drive of the hotel. Watching him from the balcony of my hotel looking out over rolling green lawns and floral gardens with a typically clouded Scottish sky was something out of a book or movie.

I would not hesitate to return there for a proper vacation. Gleneagles is without par, and don't keep it off your list if you are not a golfer!

Tranquil setting, Great Golf ,stunning scenery, good food, unpretentious

by TripAdvisor Member VantageConsultant

We often stop at the hotel for a cup of tea on business trips between Aberdeen and Glasgow. We were on a 2 night winter break. My husband had stayed previously and had raved about the place. Had I been a foreign visitor or had not visited previous the check in could have been a disaster. The girl checking us in was very professional and helpful with a cheerie smile. However her 'product' knowledge was not up to scratch! She actually gave us some wrong information about golf, which her colleague in rather condescending and upptie manner corrected in a an awful tone of voice. This really irrated me and put me on the the side of the new employee who really just required a little more training. The young lady in question showed us to our room and was helpful and charming.

We had 2 beautiful hours of autumn sunshine playing on the wee course .

Evening dinner in the Strathern Restaurant on the first night was superb. The staff were initially very slow taking our drink and food order. However they then stepped up to the Mark and delivered first class service for the rest of the evening. My Monkfish was one of the best I have had ever and my husbands beef was truly first class. This is a delightful restaurant with great atmosphere. It was very busy the night we were there. The breakfast is also lovely with plenty of choice.

I had some treatments in the spa and although on the pricey side, I was impressed with the young lady Alyson who delivered my treatments. The relaxation room is truly relaxing. Having visited many spas both in the UK and overseas , the gleneagles spa lacks a little something in its decor . It needs to be a bit more of an oasis of tranqulity.

On the second evening we had dinner in Andrew Fairlie's beautiful , classy Michellin restaurant. The welcome was excellent , the staff were nice, the food was ok, however it lacked the Wow factor. I personally found the Modern Jazz background music , too loud and really irrating.

The location is outstanding, the setting relaxing and tranquil. Golfers haven. Its a little piece of Scottish Magic. Worth a visit but don't pay the Rack rate!

Comments