Saunton, Braunton, EX33 1LQ, uk
Saunton Sands Hotel
Official Site Priceline.com Booking.com

More about The Saunton Sands Hotel

lovely hotel with very helpful and friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member brian2London

We have just returned from a lovely week staying at the saunton sands hotel. Our room was excellent and a we had a lovely view over looking the beach and the sea. We found the staff very friendly and helpful. We must also say how wonderful the food was in the restaurant. We will deffinetly be returning to the hotel at some point in the future and would stongly recommend staying there to anyone.

20 years fabulous holidays

by TripAdvisor Member WalesTaff

My family and I have been going to the Saunton Sands hotel for 20 years. Every holiday we have had has been enjoyable and memorable. My last stay was over new year 2006/7 and was as enjoyable as ever. The staff are very accomodating and nothing is too much trouble. The food was good and the rooms were decorated to a very high standard. I would recommend a sea facing room as the views over saunton beach are just breathtaking.

We have seen many changes in the hotel over the last 20 years, numerous refurbishments, changes in staff and changes to the menus but it continues to be a wonderful place to have a holiday. I am sure that i will be staying at this magnificent hotel for many years to come.

The Best Breaks Ever

by TripAdvisor Member AbyMiltonKeynes

The best in the Uk ! We have been visiting here for many years and have found it to be the most friendly, relaxed Hotel we have ever stayed in . We will be there yet again in April for my birthday and later this year for our 30th wedding anniversary (we had our 25th here too!) The viewsare stunning, the accomodation splendid, the food delightful with plenty of healthy options ! & the staff are most courteous and helpful at all times. I sometimes think the powers that be when passing out awards, got it wrong when they only gave the hotel 4 stars, it should have been 5 !!
Thanks Saunton Sands Hotel for all the great times we've had with you and hopefully all the more to come.

Fun getaway for almost anyone

by TripAdvisor Member Teenage_voice

I went to the Saunton Sands hotel last year and it was the first 4star hotel I had been to and I was impressed by nearly every aspect of the holiday. I went with friends of similar age and parents. I found the hotel offered a good compromise between our choice of holiday and my parents. We took a nice walk to a nearby village where we got lunch. I would recommend scrambling over the rocks on the beach as it is great fun and helps you work off the delicious ice cream made nearby. The food in the hotel was good and I was impressed with the room size. I would recommend the hotel. Cream teas are also a must whilst in Devon.

WARNING, if you are not super fit or are not amazed by scenery DO NOT go to Clovelly, yes it is pretty but there is little to do and the walk back is tiring

Santon Sands Hotel - Heaven here on Earth

by TripAdvisor Member byronSurrey

Set up high on a cliff side looking over miles of white sand and the ocean you know you have arrived somewhere very special before you even set foot inside this magnificent hotel. The luxurious surroundings continue once inside; opulent drapes and furnishings in calming shades and tones that have obviously been lovingly designed. Every area of the hotel feels like it has been created by somebody who cares about the space and how people will feel once inside it. And that level of caring continues with the warm and friendly staff who are all super efficient and provide excellent service. The views are stunning from every room. You can dine in the beautiful restaurant watching the sunset while sipping wine from an extensive list or relax in more casual surroundngs in the Terrace Lounge while enjoying a light snack. Food is available round the clock and the produce is sourced it seems with great integrity and care. The entertainment schedule is like none other and home to many household names but if it is peace you are after you can relax in the sauna;swim in one of the two pools or pamper yourself at the beauty parlour. I have stayed in many hotels around the world on business and my experience of hotels is that they are all very much like the last or next one you are to stay in.

Saunton Sands however is like no other. It is a little piece of Heaven here on Earth in every way and I would reccommend to anyone needing to step off the treadmill for a while that they call Mr Peter Brend Snr or Peter Brend jnr in the hope that the hotel has a room to spare. I guarantee that once you go you will leave a little piece of you there, and so will always return again and again and again.

Bitterly disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member traveller0055

Bitterly disappointing, extremely overpriced, mediocre food and dated surroundings. Outside pool was closed (the sun was shining the whole weekend!!) Will definitely not be going back!!

Good 4 Star

by TripAdvisor Member rugby15

Having got a cheapo deal thru the hotel website we awaited our choice
of inland room with trepidation. We needn't have worried, it lived up to our expectation.

The room overlooked the kitchen roof (a/c extractors and all humming nicely) The bathroom smelt so badly of mildew that we negotiated another room. Better view this time over the car park but just as smelly.(They must use it for the annual convention of confirmed pipe smokers)We were told by the porter that they don't distinguish between those who do and those who don't!

The public rooms and amenities were A++++ so it's obvious where they gain there 4Star rating.The food was excellent , well prepared and served by some of the best waiting staff we have experienced.If you want to pay for the premier rooms go for it, if you want a deal then be prepared for tired and small bedrooms.

Overall I give this place 8/10 considering the deal we got. P.S. Probably the best/quietest beach in the west,best appreciated with a glass of wine and viewed from the hotel lounge.

Good, but not that Good

by TripAdvisor Member Hotelspy007

Fantastic location but very disappointed with the hotel. The communal areas were great with excellent views and the staff generally helpful. Our room was on the second floor and the room itself was OK although dated, the bathroom was smelly had numerous cracked tiles and had the “shower of death”! I.e. one minute it was just the right temperature the suddenly became scolding hot or freezing cold. Also the toilet seat had a missing rubber pad (that really annoys me) all of which is absolutely appalling especially when you consider the price for the room. We have stayed in hotels in the centre of Florence and Venice that were superior and half the price! One final point that relates to the continental breakfast. The only part that was “continental” was the muesli.

Great service

by TripAdvisor Member HERSHAMBOY

My family and I recently returned from a very impressive stay at Saunton Sands. Can't speak highly enough of the location and attentative staff. Impressive food, nice formal dinner setting.

The sea-view suite is great, a must for families with children under 12 ( who stay and eat for free )

Fawlty Towers has relocated to North Devon

by TripAdvisor Member HLB100

Have just returned from a two night stay at this monument to provincial pretentiousness. Having read the reviews below, I can only advise that those who have been going there for many years and rate it so highly should get out more and discover the many places that offer far better service, food, facilities and value for money. We stayed in rooms 304 and 306 at a room rate of £174.00 per night. The rooms were a little stale smelling and I was delighted to find the remains of the previous occupants loo ablutions stuck to the loo bowl on arrival (mercifully it was removed the following morning). Each night we were kept awake by the sounds and smells of the huge kitchen extractors which were below the windows. As the hotel lacks air con (this is a 4*?), we needed to have the windows open at night as, despite the appalling weather, being on the top floor meant that the rooms heated up during the day and were unbearably stuffy by night time. We complained to the managers and front desk staff and asked to move rooms. They said they could not as the hotel was full and even though they promised to turn off the extractors it was hardly immediate. On the second night they were still going at 11.30pm.

The hotel may want to look at it's compliance with the electrical safety testing as some of the appliances in our rooms were well overdue for their safety checks. However, in the event of a fire, at least we could have jumped out of the window onto the extractors below.

The food was passable but the chef sure knows how to keep left overs going. How economical! The service from the bar was farcical and, on the first night, the wine waiter's knowledge of the wine list stretched to: "Erm..we have er, pinot noir, er...merlot or cabernet sauvignon." Presumably not a trained sommelier then! Dinner was hilarious as we watched the male guests trussed up in suits and tie as if off to work rather than a relaxed dining experience. There was a sign outside the hotel dining room stating that for men "jacket and tie is preferable..." and it also states that no ripped jeans, collarless shirts or trainers are allowed in the dining room (a clue as to the clientele one suspects!) The evening entertainment was very end-of-pier although it is great for kids. Metro chic this was not...but then this is a hotel which proudly displays framed photos of the "celebs" who have stayed there. Just think, you could sleep in the same bed once occupied by Gary Lineker or George Best!

The indoor pool was good. The setting is great. The lounge was comfortable. The bed linen is ok. However, the overall product is dire. We will not go back which means that those rooms will be free for all of those who have been going there for the last 20 years. Good luck to you! If you must go to this hotel, DO NOT TAKE ACCEPT ROOMS 304 and 306.

Comments