Main Street, Connel, Connel, PA37 1PA, United Kingdom
Booking.com Priceline.com eDreams

More about Grove House

road noise!!

by TripAdvisor Member 11john

We traveled to the Oban area for a short break as we do 2/3 times a year. After trying to book into the usual guest house we found that it was closed for the season! (silly me I should have phoned them first.) We called into Grove House as it was open. It is somwhere we have past often on our travels to this area as it is right on the road side. What can I say? Over the top neo-gothic decor with a miss match mess greets you at the door. The landlady was very pleasant and clearly on commision from the family owned hotel which is close by. She was over the top trying to book us in to the hotel for dinner. We gave in and went to the bistro for our evening meal. It is one of the restaurants we have eaten at in this area before and offers good food reasonalbly priced.
Back to our accomodation at Grove House. The whole place has a tired, crammed feel to it. Our bedroom did have all the toys, t.v, hi.fi, fancy soap baskets ect. but was lacking the homely touches that are in abudance with other b&bs and small guest houses in the area. The noise from the road and the antics from the couple in the room next to ours gave us a very restless night with broken sleep in between heavy trucks thundering past the house. Their is a hot tub in the garden for the guests to use. Unfortunatly the road is in arms reach from the tub and people walking along the road can see right in.
The breakfast was ok, served on a table that looked more like a coffin dressed with an over the top flower arrangment with the budda looking over your shoulder! A lot of microwave 'ping' from the kitchen asks the question; when was our breakfast really cooked? Lots of good quality, reasonalbly priced, honest accomodation in this wonderfull area. Unfortunatly Grove House Is not one of them.

Wow....What a great place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member OrlandoMike

What a wonderful time I had at Grove House. With very little time I stayed for the New Year. The several days that I stayed there was perfect. The atmosphere was comfortable, warm and the experience was exactly what I would have wished for and more. Karen, the owner, made us feel very welcome and made sure that everything that we needed was met. She was very knowledgable and made sure that we had the opportunity to enjoy all that the area had. The house was beautifully decorated, the cooking superb and overall the experience was superior. I cannot wait for my return trip!

CHECK THE PRICE.

by TripAdvisor Member johnoil

The owner must have had an off day when I stayed at Grove House. I saw the board on the road side advertising room rates at £15.50 but when I tried to get that rate I was told that it was not available and the rate would be £40.00 per-person single room. As it was late on I took the room.

I got ripped off. It was not worth it.

I had to go to the only hotel open in the area for food and asked about their rates and was shown a nicer room at a better price. There are more b&bs in Connel and was told in the pub that I had booked into the wrong place. When I'm back in this area I will not be staying at Grove House.

What a place!

by TripAdvisor Member P_Duncan

After staying at Grove House recently I must say, what a superb environment for a bed and breakfast. I booked last minute as my wife and I planned a quiet weekend away before the christmas mayhem ensued.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Karen, who seemed happy we had arrived. She showed us to our room which was immaculately decorated,and there was a small tray of chocolates (which my wife enjoyed). As a downside, there was no sea view, although I didnt feel this compromised my stay in any way. Karen offered me some great advice on where to eat in the local area and what local attractions were open at this quieter time of year.

Breakfast the next day was somewhat of an event. I dont think I have ever seen so much food on one plate, what made it much more enjoyable were the lovely couple also at the table, and I thought the newspaper and orange juice in the conservatory before breakfast was also a brilliant touch.

I just wanted to write after reading reviews on this page that were quite obviously about somewhere else.
I am returning to Grove House in the spring.

Philip Duncan

Love the welcome

by TripAdvisor Member wellingsks

I am a regular visitor to Grove House as I am part of Fins Scuba diving and regularly dive in the area.

Karen is very welcoming to her guests and ensures that everything is to their liking.

The Scottish breakfast is wonderful and Karen organises that for the time you want it, which is great for early risers like us.

The house is well run, clean and there is plentiful supply of tea, coffee and hot chocolate in the rooms.

All these things make for a comfortable stay.

friendly little treasure

by TripAdvisor Member stacilou71

I stayed in Grove house for 2 nights this February and throughly enjoyed my stay. Karen (the owner) couldn't be more friendly or accomodating. The room was perfect with lovely little touches like posh chocolates, kettle with tea coffee and hot chocolate, hifi with cds, (something to suit all tastes) tv and matching pink teddy bears. All the essentials like plenty of towels, wardrobe space, dressing gowns, extra blankets.
The breakfast was fab, even had goji berries if you wanted them, a big basket of lovely fresh fruit, all kinds of cereals, toast and marmalade and a great big cooked breakfast if you wanted.
Its in a perfect place for whatever activities you plan or if you want to just chill. The Falls of Lora hotel is right next to the B&B which serves good tucker. Karen advised us to go for a meal to the seafood temple, you need to book, but it is one of the best seafood restraurants ( and I have been to them worldwide) I have ever been to with exceptionally warm and friendly staff. (scallop chowder and special seafood pie are to die for).
I will be saying at Grove house next time I visit Oban and strongly recommend it. (Maybe a bit difficult for disabled visitors as rooms upstairs).

Home comforts for tired woodcutters

by TripAdvisor Member PowerKev

Grove House is an excellent advert for the Scottish hospitality industry. Karen is welcoming and attentive without ever being intrusive. I hate those BnB's where you feel that your just renting someone's spare room. The accomodations perhaps feel a little cramped, if only because they are so comprehensively apointed. Tea & Coffee making facilities with proper mugs not tea cups the size of thimbles! Your own TV, Hi-fi (there's are even a few CD's if you've left your collection in the car), trouser press and ample wardrobe space. The decor is vibrant and the whole house spotless. An unusual feature is the communal breakfast table that lends itself to pleasent conversation with your fellow travellers.

The breakfasts are tantamount to feasts. Never before have I seen such an array of things that you can pile in a bowl and throw milk over. And the full Scottish, where most of the consitituent parts were grilled, not fired, included haggis as opposed to the invidious baked bean.

When my travels take me this way again, we'll be sure to stop by.

Nowhere like it!

by TripAdvisor Member gr8-stuff

Great value for money, and no bad comments. I'm sure many who have been there would agree! Like my mum said, I wish it was portable, and it will be probably one of the best I will ever go to. Brilliant size portions of food, luxuriously cosy , friendly atmosphere, and I hope I go there again sometime. Everything you need is there, and a good deal! I can't see how anyone could give it a bad report! There is so much I would like to say, I cannot put it all into words! Absoloutly AMAZING! I stayed with my family, and I think they all have a good report too!
RH (age 11)

Home from home

by TripAdvisor Member bigE24

My brother and i have toured scotland every year for the past 5 years. We always stay at the Grove Hotel. Karen (the landlady) is a very friendly and genuine person and is always their to greet us upon arrival. We are always made to feel very welcome, the rooms are very tastfully decorated, cosy and homely, with everything you need for a perfect stay. tv, dvd, etc..
with an an excellent choice of home cooked food. we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be returning to connel and staying at the Grove Hotel for another 3 nights later this year in july.

great homely feeling

by TripAdvisor Member jerseysweetpea

this was are second stay here at grove house. the rooms are very nice and the breakfast is lovely. i look forward to going again.

Comments