New Park Street, Devizes, SN10 1DS, United Kingdom

The Bear HotelThe Bear Hotel

Sunset Across the Valley AvonSunset Across the Valley Avon

Look For the Bear SignLook For the Bear Sign

Travel Tips for Devizes

Devizes is an good location to explore Wiltshire:)

by tzuki

"Staying at Devizes for one night"

My partner and I stopped at Devizes for one night stay while we were traveling from Avebury to Bath. Wiltshire is a very nice county to travel in and around.

We had found a nice B&B "The Gables" to stay and Devizes came being the perfect place in our route. Devizes is not a big village and you can stroll around easily. It has also a canal where you can walk along very nice.

Birchy Does Devizes

by birchy99

"Devizes: A Strange Name For Some Strange Things"

We visited Devizes with some British friends during a period of unsettled weather. Unfortunately, we met with heavy rain showers during our visit, but I must say we enjoyed the town very much. Prime amongst our interests were the narrow boats and the canal. A fine little museum about narrow boats and the canals is maintained here. We also visited the town center and dodged in and out amongst the showers from shop to shop.
I understand that Devizes is an ancient word describing the "divide" between two drainage systems. I would suspect that one of the drainages is the River Avon by which the Avon Canal parallels through the town.
It was a nice visit despite the rain. I hope to go back some day and navigate a narrow boat through the locks.

"Street Scene Off the Main Square"

Devizes is a nice little town with lots of old Geogian archiatecture. Many narrow little alleys lead off from the main square. This is a sample of one. We spent many minutes trying to find our way back to a certain book store that Mrs. B had spotted. One rule: Don't try to find your way back. Just go when you see it.

"Navigating the Narrow Boats at Devizes"

Be sure to visit the Narrow Boat Museum in Devizes. It's small but charming. Then step outside and for sure you will see some narrowboats being manuvered to and fro on the canal. After that you can walk along the towpaths to your heart's content.

Comments