Morriston Road, Morayshore, Elgin, IV30 3UN, United Kingdom

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• iaint's Profile Photo

much improved!

I stayed in this place about 1992 and it was a dump. On many recent overnight trips to Elgin, I've never even considered it.

This weekend (June 09) I was attending a function there and chanced a look at its website just on the off chance. Looked good (major refurb) and good value (£64 per night for a double, including a full breakfast).

Turned out very impressed. Rooms clean, quiet, comfortable and well decorated. Public areas the same - very relaxing bar area.

Breakfast was excellent, and well served.

My room was south facing and was like an oven when we arrived about 8pm, after a day of unbroken sunshine. However, it cooled down by bed time with the window wide open. No air conditioning, obviously...

It has a leisure centre, but we didn't have time to try.

Unique Quality: The grounds - mature pine trees - lovely.

The architecture - 1970's functionalism - to be nice about it.

Directions: Just on the western edge of town, as you enter on the Inverness-Aberdeen road.

• Saagar's Profile Photo

A large-sounding hotel name

Good place to overnight, even if it is far from a Scottish castle. But if you look for modern amenieties in Elgin, this is it.

Unique Quality: Large meeting rooms and party facilities. Obviously they handle the local weddings and the RAF veterans meetings or something. Can cater for big groups, anyway.

More about Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club

The bar at 8 Acres Hotel

by Saagar about 8 Acres hotel

With a solid padding of upper arm muscles, you can sample the local whiskies here. Great variety. Nothing fancy needed; mostly hotel guests and TV sports watchers. Almost like a lobby bar.

Refurbished rooms are good

by TripAdvisor Member CSJAberdeen

I stayed at the Eight Acres while on business for 3 nights during May 2008.

I was booked into what I think they call a stopover room. It was awful. One of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in and in dire need of refurbushment. The rooms TV was one of the really old ones which didn't even have a remote control!

The food in the hotel was pretty good, it had a good bar and good facilities.

One of my collegues was staying in a refurbushed room and it was much much better. Nicely decorated, much bigger, nice bathroom etc. If I had not seen his room I would have only given the hotel 2 stars.

It is generally a nice hotel but make sure you get one of the refurbushed rooms.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member preggersplayspop

We stayed here for 4 nights and got a great deal. On 1st appearance the hotel looked a bit shabby but they have tried very hard to create a contemporary feel to the reception, restaurant and function suites. This however is not carried on throughout the hotel. When you go upstairs the old decor still remains in the corridors. Purple swirly carpets and doors that squeak and bang shut and are in dire need of replacing. Our room was actually very nice. It was spotless and had a great bathroom. We had a quiet location too. Perfect if you've got young children. The staff were very nice and were great with our wee boy. The leisure facilities were good too. A great pool and jacuzzi.

poor service

by TripAdvisor Member MyraScotland

Although our room was clean and comfortable, we found eating in this hotel to be a rather painful, slow process. we had an evening meal in the lounge. My husband ordered soup and had to ask for the bread that was supposed to go with it, the main course then took 45 mins to arrive, one of our desserts were burnt and since the meal at that point had taken 2 1/2 hrs, we had had enough and declined a replacement. At breakfast the following morning we asked three times if we could get toast, it eventually arrived as we were leaving, we are still waiting for the milk I asked for the tea.

good stay

by TripAdvisor Member ali21i

Had a good stay at this hotel.Service good if a bit slow at times-maybe still some staffing issues.
Was very warm and we were able to have dinner in the garden which was very nice(although bird droppings on seats and table).
Pool enjoyable.
Could have done with a porter to take luggage to room as up 1 and 1/2 flights of stairs,but think one was available if we'd asked.
Overall a very pleasant stay and would recommend it to friends.

Good Room Pity about the Dining Room

by TripAdvisor Member sweetdragon

We chose this hotel because we had stayed at a sister hotel in Yorkshire--Chevin Park - where service and standard of food was excellent. This was not so at Eight Acres where the service in the dining room was poor. Dinner was served after 45 minutes and part of the dish was missing --pork medallions without the plum sauce.
Potatoes and vegetables not served No drinks offered. A dessert of pancakes had no caramel sauce and to add to it the pancakes were bought in and not freshly made as one would expect from a three star hotel. The chef apologised and no charge was made for the meal. Breakfast was OK one morning but on our final morning we waited 40 mins for a lesser breakfast The hotel was busy on this occasion One couple walked out saying they could not wait.
The swimming pool was good and the gym. Our room had been refurbished but my sister- in -law's room had not. I could not get Wi Fi from the room as claimed but I could in the foyer of the hotel and I have a top of the range computer and we were researching Family History in the area.
Altogether not the experience we expected from a 3* hotel.

Good and Bad

by TripAdvisor Member RCDKintore

Arrived just after the check-in time of 3pm and was given our room key. Sadly, the room wasn't made up (same for our friends next door to us). Given second room which was ready (friends had to go to a third room before things were OK. Second day of stay the staff forgot to make up our room. The duty manager and a colleague had to do this while my wife showered for dinner.
Considering the £750,000 refurbishment many areas still looked tired.
Not enough staff in restaurant or for making up the rooms (many on holiday???).
Food good. Fitness centre comprehensive. Not much else was good. Thank goodness we didn't pay the full price. Half that would be more realistic for the level of quality and service.

Ok

by TripAdvisor Member gary7890

This could be a very nice Hotel but little thing let it down. The beds were quite small, I am 6' 5" and my feet over hanged the bed by about a foot, the hotel could have been cleaner, and the checkin staff could have been more friendly. Breckfast was very nice and its in a good locaton. All in all it was OK

Comments