Bristol Backpackers Hostel

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 2 reviews

Tags

Budget Travel Study Abroad Backpacking
jil_coleslaw's Profile Photo

Cheap place to stay in Bristol

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 13, 2005

I stayed in the Bristol Backpackers for 2 nights in September 2005. I found that the rooms I found was packed with other 9 girls (5 buck beds) and I could not find a place to hang even one clothes or wet towel. But if you are lucky to be allocated a lower buck, you will have some place for your stuff and a small safe attached.

The location of the hostel is quite close to the coach station (National Express and local buses). If you walk faster or clearly know the location, it will only take you 5 minutes. It is quite a central point to all attractions and plenty of restaurants and fast food shops are around.

The staff was okay friendly. But the carpeted floor of my room was quite dirty and seemed to not be hovered for a whole week. The toilets and bathrooms are quite small but clean. They will be cleaned every day.

The rent was quite reasonable: 14 pounds per night.

Unique Quality: Kitchen: loads of kitchenwares, a table for dining. cookers, microwave, ovens are equipped.

Internet: 3 desktops with boardband connection and 1 plug for laptop. 1 pound for 1 hours and 2 pounds for 3 hours.

TV: 2 TV sets in louge and other sitting room with national channels. You can watch movies with the DVD and VHS players.

Lugguage/Locker: Some lockers are located in the louge and you can ask the staff to help you to store your backpack in the lugguage room.

Laudry: I believe there is a laudry but I have never used it.

Public phone: Just next to the main entrance.

Post office and bookshop: Just down the street.

Directions: just next to the St Stephen's Church at the Old City

suvanki's Profile Photo

Basic, central Accomodation

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 31, 2004

I'd originally intended to stay at the YHA, but as I was sneaking a call from work, and couldn't get through, ;-(
I tried BBP's number, and soon was booked in 14GBP for bed, no breakfast, but tea/coffee freely available.(2005)

On arrival I met the owner, who efficiently booked me in (need passport/ photo driving licence as ID) , handed me a sheet, duvet cover and pillowcase, wrote down door security combination, and led me up a few flights of stairs to my dorm (3 bunk beds)

The hostel is quite shabby, could do with at least a lick of paint, and a good carpet cleaner! but the toilets/showers were quite clean. My mattress was a bit battered and torn at the edges, but...it was just for one night!
Some noise at night from the street below (The windows are quite old)

The other occupants appeared to be mainly long stay overseas students. I only met a couple to speak to.

The kitchen had facillities for drinks/cooking, fridges available for food storeage.

Bar in the basement (The only place for smoking - 2005 - probably not allowed since 2007!)
TV lounges. Flyers/notices about Whats On/Job vacancies etc. Locked Left Luggage storeage.

Unique Quality: Handy location for City Centre, near St Augustines Parade.

Some street noise heard, though didn't bother me too much.

The stairs offer a great exercise programme!

I'd probably try the YHA next time I need cheap accom. but again if only for 1 - 2 nights I'd settle for here.

Directions: From The City Promenade, opposite side to Hippodrome, Head down Baldwin Street, 2nd Left is St Stephens Street, its split into 2 parts by Corn Street, cutting across, look out for the orangeish Bristol Back Packers sign on the right.

Nearby Bristol Backpackers Hostel

Bristol Backpackers Hostel

• Bristol Backpackers Tourist Hotel Bristol

Address: 17 St. Stephen's Street, Old City, The Centre, Bristol, BS1 1EQ, United Kingdom

3 Photos of Bristol Backpackers Hostel

Bristol Travel Forum

Need advice about Bristol, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Bristol and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bristol hotel reviews