College Green, Bristol, BS1 5TA, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com AMOMA.com

Costs 52% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

ideal location...

I didn’t stay here because I thought it was way out of my budget but its location is ideal right next to the Cathedral! It is built in Victorian-style with luxury bedrooms etc The funny thing about it is that I saw many negative reviews on net because of the noise in front of the hotel. If anyone stayed here I would like to know about the interior.

We just take some photos of the exterior, we checked the statue in front of the hotel and we visited the Cathedral.

Directions: right next to the cathedral

• greebo's Profile Photo

There has been many City...

There has been many City Express hotels opening up recently in central Bristol charging about 50 per night for a room including breakfast. You can find smaller and cheaper B&B's or there is the Royal Mariott Hotel which is a 5 Star hotel.

More about Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel

I have to agree with other...

by TripAdvisor Member Spacrawler

I have to agree with other reviewers about this property. It is in a fine location in Bristol and the public areas are quite ornate. The upkeep of the public spaces is fine. I had a "superior" room, but it was still small. Nice duvet on the bed; a mini fridge that didn't keep things cool; a toilet that didn't flush; airconditioning that was nothing more than a fan. The food was good in the restaurant, and the value was acceptable.

But the staff! They run the gamut from clueless (waiters in the restaurant who didn't know what items on the menu were made of or who couldn't understand my requests in English) to rude (front desk staff who ignored me while doing nothing else and a bar waiter who told me I had to vacate my table for the afternoon crowds which were not in attendance) to obsequious (a manager on staff who really did try hard to find out why my room wasn't ready but kept calling me by my last name). Par for the course in England, perhaps, but not what I would expect of such an outwardly classy property.

Nice hotel, shame about the staff.

by TripAdvisor Member Bristol-Flyer

Stayed at this hotel for one night on the 16th of December. I was there as part of a works Christmas party and as it would be a late finish I booked a room rather than trying to get home. The hotel itself looks palacial with marble and gold everywhere. There are a few areas that could do with a touch of paint (usually in the corners of function rooms) however most hotels have this problem, especially around this time of year. My room was a larger size than most other hotels, with fully stocked mini bar. The beds were incredably soft, so if you need a firm matress be wary. The only real let downs of this hotel are the staff; many just do not have the manners required for a hotel of such a caliber. On arrival I presented my Maestro card (im a student so a Visa isnt a great thing to have) and was immediately asked whether I had 'a propper credit card'. I have never had any trouble with my card in any of the hotels I stay in, so to be asked this, and in the tone that the receptionist used I was not pleased. Needless to say they accepted my card, after some muttering on their part. However if you used debit in this hotel, they charge you double your room rate on check-in and then charge you again on departure. So for a £60 stay I have so far paid £170, but I am assured that the initial charges will be reversed, no doubt with more mutterings.
Apart from the staff I have no quibbles with the hotel, but be warned this is not a cheap place to drink. £3.50 for a beer, £4.50 for spirits.

Okay Rooms, Shame about the Staff

by TripAdvisor Member flytoomuch

Stayed here on a business trip in December, the room (top floor) was quite good and spacious. Beds were very comfortable.

bathroom had an awful corner shower, but had reasonable pressure, but the shower head was pretty average and old.

In the bar, they forgot about our drinks, and seemed to be well understaffed - we asked the "concierge" about where we should go, if there were museams and the like, who did not have a clue. Sent us to one museam expecting one thing, and had nothing like it.

Would stay there again, and just make sure I that expect nothing or very little from the staff.

Great restaurant - rooms need attention!

by TripAdvisor Member ReviewerCB

We stayed at the Marriot Royal mainly to eat in the Michael Caines Restaurant which did not disappoint - the taster menu was fabulous. In its favour the staff at the hotel were most friendly and professional and certainly not lacking in numbers. Breakfast was good -a wide choice and again well staffed. However, ( here comes the bad bit ) the bedroom we stayed in certainly needed a refurb. - and this was a 'superior' room. The fittings in the bathroom were showing their age and although clean, looked distinctly old and tired. The room itself was adequate, but again looked as if it had not been updated for some considerable time.
I would strongly recommend ensuring your room is NOT on a lower floor. There was a wedding reception taking place the night we stayed. In a third floor room this was no problem - but in the restaurant we could hear it clearly and as the hotel appears to have bedrooms on the ground floor then I could imagine it could be very noisy!
All in all I enjoyed our stay - but this was mainly due to the excellent restaurant. Would I stay again? Possibly - but only if offered a really good deal on the room. Otherwise I would stay elsewhere and just eat at the hotel.

Luxury in Bristol

by TripAdvisor Member DoctorChris

Had been a little apprehensive seeing some of the earlier reviews, but this Hotel far exceeded our expectations. Service was prompt and efficient at all times, including a light meal served in the non-smoking lounge available until after midnight.

The pool and health club were warm, friendly and open until 11 pm. Superbly relaxing to get a swim at 9.00 pm after a long train journey.

Our room was huge, clean, with a sparkling bathroom and a view of the Cathedral; unbelievable value on our special rate of under £120 including breakfast.

There was a large wedding reception on one of the nights, and we did get a bit of noise from the children playing hide and seek in the corridors. But not enough to spoil our stay.

Delightful minibreak

by TripAdvisor Member mmmc

Have just had a one night break at the Marriott Royal Hotel in Bristol. Lovely facilities, friendly staff, excellent food in the Michael Caine restaurant.
I'd happily recommend it and would certainly stay there again.

What a shame

by TripAdvisor Member Scottie058

When we arrived at the hotel there was no obvious way to park the car at the front and unload the luggage. We went into the underground car park and carried our cases up the badly signed steps as the lift was busy.

When we arrived at the reception we felt as if we were being a nuisance for wanting to check in and were told not to go to breakfast at 10am as it was too busy then! Later we noticed signs round the hotel advising the same.

The "superior room" was standard as they come and the bathroom grubby with the shaving mirror missing. Our used towels were left on the floor and not collected - and turn down service was at 6pm, just as we were getting ready for the evening.

The noise of revellers coming out of bars and clubs was very loud until 4am each weekend morning so we were fairly tired having been kept awake.

Breakfast was chaos, there was a queue to get in and no tables cleared. There were just not enough staff.

I would not recommend this hotel except that the location is very good and near some good eating places.

Overpriced disaster

I booked my parents into this hotel when they came to visit me at uni. Nice on the outside and the interior is ok (if not a bit in need of a face lift). The room was very small with the filthiest windows you have ever seen but the room was very clean and tidy.
There were signs everywhere saying how busy the hotel was on this weekend and told guests to expect delays at breakfast (they have never been fully booked??)Every lounge was packed in the afternoon so we went to the bar. We were served by an extremely unpleasant, agressive lady who spoke minimal english. Everything (no exaggeration) had run out. Pretty dismal cream tea for £15 and no apology from the waitress.
Overall I was really embarassed to have put my parents here, the Hotel Du Vin is much nicer and only a little more expensive.

Comments