Grey House B&B

Venere.com AMOMA.com TheHotels.com

More about Bristol

The Red LodgeThe Red Lodge

Pero’s BridgePero’s Bridge

Your bits are indeed very precious...Your bits are indeed very precious...

CliftonClifton

Taxi from Bristol airport

by blos

Hi everyone,
I need to get from Bristol International Airport to a town called Chippenham next Tuesday night. I arrive into the airport at 11.00pm so my options are fairly limited. Does anyone know how much a taxi to Chippenham would cost It's about 30miles of a journey? Or if anyone knows any alternatives it would be a great help
thanks,
Bernard

by KennetRose

Bristol Airport (still wish they'd either kept it as dreamy Lulsgate or made it Cary Grant International Airport as I suggested!) is the "wrong" side of town for Cheltenham so it's nearer 50 miles than 30. I guess a taxi might cost you GBP 40-50.

A good alternative would be a taxi to Temple Meads station in Bristol, and then a train to Cheltenham. The train is fast and efficient, mostly, and the taxi and train together would cost you about GBP 30.

Re: Re: Taxi from Bristol airport

by KennetRose

Sorry I had a brainstorm - misread Chippenham as Cheltenham! Duh!

A taxi to Chippenham from the airport should be a reasonable proposition - not as far as Cheltenham! Not far past Bath in fact and probably not 30 miles. Reckon on GBP 20 - 30 for the taxi ride.

Re: Re: Taxi from Bristol airport

by Mitchx

The taxi fare from the airport to Bristol City centre is about £12 for just 6 miles. Think the fare to Chippenham might be more around the £40 mark.

Bristol Airport Taxis 01275-474812

You might do better to pick up a hire car ??
Avis - Tel: 01275 47353 Fax: 01275 473535

Europcar - Tel: 01275 474623 Fax: 01275 474663

Hertz - Tel: 01275 472807

National- Tel: 01275 474821

by JuliaK

The taxi is far more expensive if you hire itr from the airport!!!!!
Take the Bristol Flyer bus service (6£ return) and that will take to you to the city center. You can take either the bus from there, or the train ( http://www.qjump.co.uk). The Flyer stops in Temple Meads the train station as well. From my experience, hiring a taxi to in Fishponds where my house is it costs me £20. Well the area were I leave is 4miles from the Bristol city center. Imagine how much it is going to cost for Chippenham!!!!!
Any other info that you want I am more than willing to provide!!!
Best
Julia

by chrisinalma

I had to take a taxi from Clifton in Bristol to Frampton Cotterell (just outside Bristol and was charged £20:00 so even trapseing into Bristol on the coach to Temple Meads is not going to significantly reduce the pre booked taxi fare -the trick is to agree the price ahead of your visit -suggest you speak to B Bennett taxis on +44 117 9551551.

have a good trip!

Incidentally WHY is there an `Avon Forum`...Avon ceased to exist (thank God!) as a local authority some years ago!!???

by HeidiR

There is a shuttle bus from Bristol airport to the train station, then the train takes 30 mins to Chippenham stopping at Bath on the way. The bus ticket is about 5 pounds, train is 6 or 7 pounds

I think a taxi to Bath which was half way is about 30 pounds so probrably looking at 40 or 50 pounds to Chippenham.

Why not hire a car? I think you can hire them from places in the airport for about 20 pounds a day.

I used to live in Chippenham and there are some details on my page

RE: Taxi from Bristol airport

by sunlandcars

Best Bet And Cheapest Use A Airport Transfer
Prices To Wiltshire From Bristol £8.00 Terminal To Destination
Simple

Travel Tips for Bristol

Ardman Animations, the company...

by greebo

Ardman Animations, the company who made the Wallace & Gromit films and Chicken Run. Wallace & Gromit are extemely big in Bristol being a local company made good. I just had to include a photo of Shaun the Sheep my favourite character.

Stanton Drew

by KennetRose

After the Great Circle at Avebury, the largest of the 700 or so neolithic stone circles in the UK is here at Stanton Drew.

There are three visible circles here, plus a group of stones known as The Cove and the remnants of processional ways. The great charm of the monuments here is that they are so little visited. They have also not been excavated, though in recent years magnetographic work has revealed that behind the visible remains lies a site of great complexity and, presumably, importance.

The stones, although maintained by English Heritage, are on private land, in a farmer's field. GBP 1.00 per person in an honesty box at the entrance, and because it's an honesty box, you should be scrupulous about paying up - the farmer doesn't have to let you onto his land and it would be a shame if he didn't. Oh yes - watch out for the many cow pats too!

I've set up a separate travelogue for Stanton Drew.

I love food. I eat nothing else

by TheLongTone about Bristol Farmer's Market

Bristol Farmer's Market takes place every Wednesday at the top of Corn Street. For me the primary attraction are the fishmongers stalls, since the only proper fishmongers I have so far located in Bristol is not only some distance from where I live but, more important (this being Bristol and me being on a bike) considerably higher above sea level. Another favorite is the apple stall when apples are in season: proper apples, none of the deadly grown-for-commerce-not-for-eating stuff that greengrocers or supermarkets sell, wierd varieties you've never heard of....and even the odd quince or medlar. And some good fresh locally grown veg never come amiss.

I love food markets, and always enjoy visiting them when travelling. But when I'm travelling I don't have a kitchen handy and so it's pointless to buy anything other than fruit or whatever else I can eat without more preparation than can be done with a Swiss Army knife. Here, I'm actually shopping, which makes it even more enjoyable.

The fine selection of pumpkins in the photo are displayed on a nail - as in the expression 'cash on the nail': there are several of these outside the old exchange building. ....and of the fishmongers my favorite is the one specialising in smoked fish. Love those smoked prawns, and a kipper or two always goes down a treat. As does the smoked mackeral pate.

British Concorde, this big old...

by greebo

British Concorde, this big old bird was built in Bristol. Many of my family friends worked on her, some did until that crash. Several concordes are kept at Filton Airport, where the flight simulator/trainer is located, my sister was the last civilian/non-trainee pilot to have a go in the simulator, unfortunately she crashed the simulator concorde, killing all on board, since then she has decided not to become a pilot, I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief. I do hope however, that the big old bird will be back in the skies soon. Concorde 002 took off from Filton in April 1969 and I remember seeing her flying overhead and hearing the sonic boom. She will always have a special place in my heart for me.

A Nice Little Zoo

by DEBBBEDB

5 May 2003: We decided to go to Bristol Zoo. The Zoo was packed with people as it was another beautiful day. The car parks were full, so we found a nice space to park on the street not too far away. We saw baby marmosets, baby prairie dogs, and baby meerkats. We heard a talk on the Brazil animals, given by the lemur lady. We heard a talk on lemurs, by the lemur lady. We watch them 'feed' the gorillas (if you call throwing fruit at a gorilla 'feeding') and the penguins. It was a very nice little zoo.

Opening times

* Open daily from 9am to 5.30pm in peak season, closing at 5.00pm off-peak.
* Closed Christmas Day.
* Last entrance to animal houses is half an hour before closing.
* Last entrance to the Zoo is an hour before closing.
* Free entry for under 3's - baby changing and feeding facilities available.
* The Pelican Restaurant serves hot meals and snacks and has a covered picnic area.
* Discounts for groups.
* Shop for gifts and souvenirs.
* Wheelchair-friendly: 20 wheelchairs and 2 electric scooters are available for hire. Please phone to pre-book 0117 974 7357.

Allow 2-5 hours for your visit