Hilton Bristol

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hilton Bristol

Friendly and attentive.

by TripAdvisor Member e1macleod

Our break at the Hilton Bristol was highly enjoyable. Our room was clean, spacious and very comfortable, a combination of all three aspects is not something I come across often - I am very fussy! The staff were very friendly & attentive. The service in the restaurant was expecially curteous. They have an extensive breakfast selection & with good food and wine in the evening it really made you feel as though you were getting a break from it all.

Not so good

by TripAdvisor Member Two-Hoots-Wales

Our stay at the Hilton Bristol was for 2 night which was long enough. The bed was very hard, the room was tired, no mat to go into the bath when using the shower which made it very slippery when getting out, and best of all the toilet didn't work. When we checked into our room the toilet worked for a short while and then gave up, we were told it would be fixed or we would be moved, when we returned later again it worked for a short time and gave up again. I don't know whether the plumbing in this hotel is up to much as the toilets next to the restaurant were also out of order and only the disabled worked.
On a positive note the breakfast was good. Unless you get a good deal look to stay in a different hotel.

Much better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member GrahamEsme

It was with much trepidation that my wife and I visited this hotel for a two day stay, since we had made a non-cancellable booking before reading Trip Advisor adverse reviews.

We honestly did not recognise the hotel of those reviews. We experienced smart and clean public areas. Our room was well furnished, warm and spotlessly clean. The bed was very comfortable and there was always plenty of hot water. The worst thing we could find was some slightly cracked sealant around the bath.

The staff were very polite and helpful. We had asked for polyester pillows on our booking, which had been overlooked, but this was put right within ten minutes of our contacting reception.

Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. The one evening meal we had was reasonable, but not above average. Portions may be a little small for hearty eaters. The Thai curry did not appear to have been well thought out in the kitchen, with the red pepper seemingly thrown in at the end uncooked. The meal was reasonable as a free 'add-on' to our room rate, but we would not consider it very good value if we had to pay the full price.

The location of the hotel, although on the edge of a business estate, is extremely convenient for the motorway network and Cribbs Causeway shopping. In terms of the car parking, the very high advertised charges were obviously to keep out car sharers who had no connection with the hotel. However, we think that the hotel could do much more to inform (by way of notices and information sheets) that the hotel charge is only £3 per day and how to obtain the discounted rate.

Overall our impression was of a well-run hotel, which we would be happy to return to, although maybe not for evening meal.

And, no, we have no connection with the hotel management, or any other vested interest in the hotel!!

GCG & JEG

Better than expected

We had booked this place just for a weekend break and to do some Christmas shopping. And then I looked at the reviews on this site and nearly didn't bother going! However, we had a fine time.

It's certainly true that:
- you're not in Bristol - the city centre is about half an hour away
- the surrounding area is not pretty; it is where the M4 meets the M5 and I had previously noticed the Orange and RAC buildings on this estate

But we had a nice time:
- £99 for two nights, with dinner on the first night
- restaurant was excellent - generous buffet
- drinks also reasonably priced
- the kids liked the pool
- the room was large enough for four of us
- staff attitudes were good

Unnecessary 'four star' wind up...

by TripAdvisor Member fileybeach

Four Star irritation. I picked the hotel because it was near the motorway interchange and had a pool. It fulfilled those requirements and was clean and tidy. Many of the staff were fine to good - some were just lost in 'We're sorry you feel that way' training,' I'll tell the manager '(I thought I had asked to speak to the manager - but one member staff said 'I don't think we have manager - or if we do, I don't know who it is'!

Other reviews said that you needed a car if you wanted to access Bristol. What they didn't say was that the hotel charges guests an extra £3 per night for car parking! Since when does a four star hotel have to hit its guests with a cheap trick like this? I don't really want to have to figure out how the car parking system operates (a barrier greets you at the hotel, you collect a ticket ......non residents pay for parking based on the hours in the park up to £25 per day (if I recall correctly) ... how do you diffferentiate yourself from a visitor? What hapens when you come and go during the stay - do you collect tickets? Do you go to a four star to worry about this? It just jarred me that they can't swallow that cost in their rate and have a procedure which makes you feel four star. There are better ways to do this.

Very Poor

by TripAdvisor Member jackiepops

Stayed for one night on a business trip.Check in prompt and friendly.Room nothing special and bland.The bathroom was generously sized but basic.Requested a smoking room.Even though I am regular smoker the room did smell like an ashtray - with good reason.With in 5 minutes of being in the room I noticed that there were cigarette butts on the carpet under the bed side table along with a knocked over glass containing cigarette ash, which had also spilt all over the carpet! I contacted reception who despatched house keeping to clean up the mess promptly, however, no ash tray was supplied! I showered after working out how the complicated taps worked and met with my business colleagues for drinks in the bar. I went to the bar where 4 member's of staff were arguing with whom I believe to be the food & beverage manager.I was served standing at the bar as we had not been approached by any of the bar staff despite us being the only small group in there, they stood by and allowed me carry drinks in relay to the table.I paid cash for (over priced) drinks and the bar tender did not even say thank you when handing me my change Needless to say I did not tip him.We had dinner in the restaurant which was average apart from the Creme Brulle which was awful, it was a big bowl of tepid custard with no sugar shell top! I had not complained up to this point as I did not want to cause embarrassment in front of my colleagues but I did tell the restaurant manager when signing for the bill and he said if I signed now he would knock the desert of the bill later! I was insistent that I would not sign until the desert was taken off account even though it was going on expenses, as i do not justify anyone paying for anything so bad .I did have a good nights sleep before an uneventful but below average breakfast before a swift and pleasant checkout.Overall a very poor hotel which is certainly very poorly managed.

Needs a good manager

by TripAdvisor Member GNU

I paid only £65 bed and breakfast and part of that was covered by vouchers so shouldn't complain, perhaps.
Check in was good but check out a little slow. The basic problem I think with the hotel is that no one is really taking enough care over detail - my room had no TV remote control and not hairdryer, only the nozzle. These are irritations that a good management could overcome. The bar is not well run and the drink prices are not easily determined until you see the bill (£7.95 for a glass of indifferent white wine is ridiculous) and the food which I had in the bar was indifferent with too much dressing on a rather 'rustic' ceasar salad with dry chicken.
Breakfast was very busy but things were not restocked although there were plenty of staff around. I did not have much to eat although the selction was good the presentation was less so. The room was okay but the bed arrangement was odd and the furniture a bit tatty. They need to emply a good chef, a good bar manager and a good housekeeper, then it mught make a four star hotel.

alot better than expected

by TripAdvisor Member smccon1

i booked the hilton on a special package rate as i was attending a freinds wedding in the area, after booking i read the reviews on this site & was dreading it!! i have to give them full credit it was absouloutley brilliant, on arriaval didnt look brilliant once you get in your met with all smiles & hellos from the porters, very quick check in i paid the £20 upgrade and had one of the new delux rooms there great, fruit, chocolate & wines (cheered the mrs up no end)

we ate in the bar in the afternoon very reasonable & well priced drinks are reasonably priced aswell.

breakfast in the morning was busy but well organised great staff only to happy to help nothing was to much trouble

check out was quite quick all in all an excellent stay i will be going back later in the year.

a bit grim

by TripAdvisor Member selfcatering

We stayed for a weekend whilst visiting family and booked two deluxe rooms. At first we thought we had been allocated the wrong rooms as they seemed very basic. I rang reception and was told that these were, in face, deluxe. What makes them deluxe? A bottle of mineral water and one bathrobe per room (for two people). The hair in the bath plughole was provided at no extra charge.

The hotel had a wedding going on the first night and the corridors were very rowdy until late. Breakfast was a good buffet but the dinner menu was very expensive for a basic carvery. The hotel is just off the motorway in an unlovely trading estate, and you definitely need a car to see any of the area - it really is a place for business people to stay a night and then move on. I am sure Bristol has hotels with more charisma and better housekeeping at this price point.

Great Staff

by TripAdvisor Member walkaboutbird

Stayed for the week end at the hotel. Appearance on arrival was OK - typical large hotel though knew we were not getting a country retreat. car parking was expensive though.

The best part of the stay was the staff. They make the hotel especialy the female catering manager who was very organised and efficiant as well as the hotel manager who was extremley charming! In
all a great week end away.

The Red LodgeThe Red Lodge

Edmund Burke statueEdmund Burke statue

Plain outside, delightful inside - like me!Plain outside, delightful inside - like me!

CliftonClifton