Jurys Bristol Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Jurys Bristol Hotel

All ship shape...

by TripAdvisor Member Langton_Traveller

For a last minute family mid-week trip away during Easter holidays, The Bristol proved just the job. A large room with two double beds, separated by a partition and open doorway, was ideal for two adults and two children - at £86 for the room per night with breakfast for four included, it was good value too. Hotel is recently refurbished with smart, contemporary decor. All staff were friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable but could be noisy at night. It faced a side road leading to a footbridge over the dock, and which was obviously a popular route home for customers of the local bars. Also, a nearby building site attracted early morning lorry deliveries. The double glazing provided ineffective sound-proofing - and with no air con, the windows would need to be open at night in warmer weather - but I suppose noise comes with the territory on city centre hotels. Still, an extensive breakfast buffet set us up for the day. The hotel is easy walking distance to both the excellent shops at Cabot Circus/Quakers Friars and to the SS Great Britain, which is great for a family visit. Plenty of nearby bars and restaurants make for an easy evening out.

Great breakfast, lovely location near the waterfront

by TripAdvisor Member DragonRoadWarrior

I checked into this hotel with a friend (when it was formerly called the Jury's Hotel Bristol) and the quality is what you expect of a medium size hotel chain. The furnishings are as you'd expect given this level of class and price, and reception and service is also of a high standard. The rooms are quite well appointed, but we had a room facing the main road - there maybe some rooms higher up with a water view so do ask when checking in. There's also a car park nearby, with direct access to the hotel, which is convenient. Discounts also offered to hotel guests using the car park. The buffet breakfast is in a lovely room, with lots of natural light, and the breakfast is generally good, with a wide choice, from the full English breakfast, to more continental type foods.

Gorgeous rooms, great location, great value

by TripAdvisor Member mrspp

I've stayed twice. I was lucky enough (by complete fluke!) to be the first guest to stay in a refurbed room in September. I stayed again in February 2009.

The consistency impressed - beautiful rooms which are large and very comfortably furnished for the price. Great bathrooms.

The location is perfect - right on the quayside so you couldn't be better for Bordeaux Quay etc

It's quiet. Check-in is efficient and welcoming (hot towels). You get discounted parking at the adjoining multi-storey (a good deal in Bristol).

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Bristol.

by TripAdvisor Member Fnords

I can only echo the other reviews saying what a lovely hotel this is in a great location. The staff were especially friendly and the buffet breakfast delicious.

My room had a 'media hub' in which is basically a panel on the desk with connectors for the various inputs offered by the TV. I liked this as I've often wished I could connect my laptop up when staying somewhere, however I wonder if most typical guests would take advantage of this and would instead prefer a DVD player to be provided.

Great location but we had room problems

by TripAdvisor Member Eric_P_B

We got a great deal on a Sunday and an upgrade to a deluxe room. But, arriving after 3pm we still had a wait over 30 mins for our room to be ready (check in is from 2pm). Then when we came back from SS Gt Britain (fascinating) we found the room far too hot and found that the thermostatic valve on the radiator was broken. After another waste of time we were moved to another room - a good temperature but less good view, bad condensation obscuring the main window panel (inside the double glazing) and a broken desk light. We ate at the River Grille and enjoyed it. But as we arrived, at 9pm, they were turning away a couple on the grounds all of the empty tables might be needed for hotel guests. The one by us stayed empty and it seems that the staff, whilst generally friendly are not too bothered about generating extra custom nor about keeping the place well maintained. The hotel's in a great location but our room problems took up far too much of our sunny arrival afternoon. The next morning was cold and drizzly. But at least the breakfast was good.

Great location and accommodating (if overworked) staff

by TripAdvisor Member disgruntled06

We spent one night here over bank holiday weekend - the room was large and comfortable but had not been vacuumed. The reception desk staff when asked if we could change to a room overlooking the waterfront were most helpful but the room we were offered was v small so we went back to our original one overlooking an office building. The bathroom had a few minor problems - the lavatory seat was v loose, the plastic strip which sealed the shower cubicle door to the bath was hanging off so the shower leaked all over the floor. Also the basin plug release did not work. I reported all this to the reception on check out. Breakfast was very overcrowded and we had to wait in a queue for about 10 minutes. The staff were very overworked as there were not many on duty - some guests were irate and I witnessed one man being very rude to a young foreign waitress because some of the hot food had run out . All in all a pleasant stay - very convenient locality and within walking distance of loads of great places to eat and drink.

Value for money, but don't stay overlooking bar if you want to sleep before 2 am!

by TripAdvisor Member roseyPaignton

I have just returned from The Bristol Hotel. Although the outside of the hotel is not impressive, inside is a different story. We went on a bargain break and were upgraded to a room on the 6th floor. The room and bathroom were lovely, however the grouting in some of the tiles could have done with a clean. The carpets also could have done with a clean, but, given what we paid for the room, we can't complain. The breakfast, which was included, was excellent. I would add that if you have a room over looking the river do not expect to get to sleep until after 2 am! Although the view is lovely, the noise from the bars does make it difficult to sleep.

Efficient, very comfortable, friendly and excellent value for money

by TripAdvisor Member MiddleRipley

This was my first stay at the Bristol since the upgrade from the old Jury's Hotel and it will not be my last. My standard grade 5th floor room (overlooking part of the old dock basin) was very comfortable, well equipped for the business traveller and reasonably well insulated from the noise of Bristol's nightlife drifting across from the bars and clubs opposite (although I suspect that night-time noise levels could be a problem for rooms on some of the lower floors). Service and food quality in the hotel bar and restaurant were very good and the breakfast buffet was excellent - significantly better than that served at the Marriott Royal. The reception staff were friendly and well infomed and - albeit via a late booking deal - the £75.00 cost of my overall stay (including dinner) was astonishing value for money. Parking in Bristol is never easy, but the proximity of the adjacent NCP car park was an added benefit. My only criticism - having allegedly spent £8.5M on the refurbishment, why did the owners stop short of giving the central courtyard a makeover ?

A Year As A Student in U.W.E.

by mollymoo0oo0

"Uni life in Bristol"

So I studied at the University of the West of England in Bristol. This is the old polytechnic uni, the other one in the city called, simply, Bristol University (and is amongst the top 10 of the UK).

My course was French, Spanish and European Studies... I've always had a passion for languages and travel, so it was natural for me to follow this path, even though I didn't complete the course in the end... Luckily I am persistent when I want something in life, and so have had furthered my own personal studies through travel and moving to Spain instead!

"The city"

The city of Bristol is really quite pretty for the most part, and not too busy with people. It is small for a city, and so is fairly easy to navigate. It is well located in the South West of England, nextdoor to Wales (only a bridge crossing away!), and within easy reach of of places like Cheddar (famous for its cheese), Devon, and much more. I highly recommend a day trip to Bath from here... a lovely town with Roman spas to see...

I used to live on the A38 main road, which runs from Gloucester to Bristol city centre. It's not my most recommended if you like some peace and quiet at home, but is very well located for access to the centre of town (with a ridiculous number of bars and pubs all along the way). You will also find a number of reasonably priced B&Bs (Bed and Breakfast accomodation) along the way, some of which I have stayed in and recommend for a comfortable budget stay in town.

There are several major hotels in the city centre, which I have also stayed in. These include the Marriot Hotel, and Jurys Bristol Hotel. (I also worked for a Bristol based company whilst living in London, and so occasionally stayed there for a few nights).

The central area is called Temple Meads, where the main train station is located for trains to London (only a couple of hours away). Also in the centre, near the main shopping areas the coach station is located. From here it is possible to travel to most parts of the country.

Clifton is one of the nicest parts of Bristol, for cafes, restaurants, bars and general nightlife. By day it also offers many interesting shops, particularly along Whiteladies Road.

One special event I've still yet to experience in person is the annual Hot Air Balloon Festival, held in August... it looks so wonderful, filling the skies with a beautiful array of colour, and so for this (and even its reputation alone) I recommend it for anyone in the area at that time! In fact, if you make it there, I'd love to hear from you and perhaps see a photo or two :)

"More to come...."

~~I will add more to my Bristol page soon... look out for more, and tips coming soon!! ~~

Comments