3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• JBourne's Profile Photo

Modern and quite pretty

I've stayed here a couple of times and liked it very much. The rooms are modern with interesting decor, and the beds are circular. The bedding was good, apart from the bolsters and the hairy top blanket as I'm pretty sure these wouldn't be changed in between guests.

Everything was clean and had a plush feel about it. The only other issue I had was the limitations of the restaurant (particularly after 10pm when you can only get a sandwich to your room). This isn't really a problem in central Bristol though.

More about Mercure Brigstow Hotel

Nice Hotel with Big problems

by TripAdvisor Member Guy Brindle

This place is nice - cool rooms, nice and big, great location, but with two major problems.

I booked a hotel in order to get a good night's sleep and to wash and dress in the morning - this is where the Brigstow failed miserably!

I noticed other comments here about noise and erratic shower temperatures - I too was a victim.

From 7am onwards I was kept awake by the banging of cupboards and general cleaning activities - and this went on incessantly for three hours. Why the cleaners are so noisy and why the rooms don't have better insulation I don't know.

At 10am I decided I might as well get up - only to be greeted by a cold shower, the last thing you want after being woken up early by all the noise! I ended up going to the sports club down the road for a hot shower.

If these two problems were sorted out I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, but until there I would go elsewhere if you want to enjoy your night's sleep.

Ignore the bad reviews, this place is first class

by TripAdvisor Member David Bristol

6th Floor Suite was immaculatly clean and well presented. No noise or shower problems experienced here. Restaurant very good. This place is everything the other hotels in Bristol would like to be. Its very modern and stylish with fantastic bathrooms with a TV built into the tiled wall you can watch while you soak in the bath. The showers are seperate and really powerful. This hotel is so much better than the Marriott Royal (not worth the money) Hotel Du Vin (pretentious beyond belief) and City Inn (upmarket travel lodge). Book it through laterooms and you can save plenty. Try dinner in the Glass Boat directly outside (fine dining. Staff although for most english is not their first language are polite, competent and friendly. Ignore the negatives, its the nicest hotel in Bristol.

Cool Hotel, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member CaptinEO7

Despite living in nearby Cardiff, myself & my girlfriend decided that we'd make a weekend out of our trip to Bristol as we were attending a concert at the Colston Hall on a Saturday night. Having spent several years working in and around Bristol I was keen to ensure we picked a good quality hotel within walking distance to the venue & after much deliberation we booked a night at the Brigstow for £70 Room Only. The main criteria being decent reviews & location.

We really couldn't have made a better choice. Set directly on the river smack bang in the centre of the city the location was perfect. I don't consider Bristol itself to be a particularly nice city so to stay somewhere in such a pleasant area is like striking gold. What helped massively was the fact that we were on the 4th Floor overlooking the river on a beatiful Spring day. One thing I would say was that we booked a Standard Double & on checking in I asked the Receptionist if she had a River View. She informed me that she could offer me one for an extra £10 per night but when I declined she told me she'd let me have one anyway for no extra charge.

The lobby, bar & restaurant were all very contemporary in style and coupled with the lack of guests didn't make the area's particularly appealing. Still very clean & cool though.

The room we stayed in (which I think was of standard quality but may have been "Executive" as overlooking the river) was extremely appealing. Check the attached pictures for a better look but everything about it was class. From the quirky angle that the bed was set at to the massive floor to ceiling french doors, it was very very nice. The bathroom was just as special with very modern and expensive fittings including a separate shower cubicle and mini flat tv built into tiles at the foot of the bath. We had no issues with noise, the bed was perfect and even the mini bar prices were very reasonable - we found this strange as the prices of the room service items seemed incredibly pricey.

The hotel doesn't have it's own car park but you get a special weekend rate of around £8 for a whole weekend in the NCP directly behind the property. Not unusual for a high quality city centre hotel and we didn't mind paying this to leave our car there for two days.

All in all the Brigstow Hotel helped make our weekend perfect & I'd be surprised if there's a nicer hotel in this price range to stay in the centre of Bristol.

Quite a nice hotel, GREAT location.

by TripAdvisor Member hols.away

This hotel is really nice, When we drove into bristol, and went past we were like, wow thats our hotel right on the harbour.
Pluses.....................................................-it is right on the harbour
-it has a NCP thats £12.70 for 24 hours, this carpark has an exit right next to the hotel!
-It is at the top of a close so it is the quietest hotel on the harbour.
-It has lots of eatin places you can pay £7-£40 a head depending where you want to eat right at the harbour.
-It is like 10 steps from the old city and 4 mins walk from the city centre, 10 minutes from @bristol and open top buses
- The service was really good, we ordered extra toiletries at reception, 5 minutes after getting to our room the receptionist herself had brought it up!- too good. And the toiletries were cute little designer ones
-The moment you pressed the elevator it was there!
- Lots of pillows and covers where there so in fact you had to remove which was a nice change.
- i did like the little tv that was in the bathroom disguised as a tile. nice touch

Minuses........................................-The hotel restaurant only seemed to do brunch and the room service prices ... well lets just say they made me laugh.
-We ordered twin beds but got a double which seemed small ( until we slept and found we never came into contact once ..so is that a plus?)

All in all id only stay in the bristow when in bristol.

Fab for a weekend break

by TripAdvisor Member Lou-and-Chorls

Stayed at the Brigstow for one night as we were in Bristol visiting friends. Hotel is in a great location and is only a few minutes walk from shopping and nightlife. Rooms were really clean and a good size. The best bit of all is being able to watch the tv whilst in the bath (hotel has tile tv!). Staff were very friendly, all in all, a great choice for only £80 for a double room. Would definitely recommend and would definitely stay again.

Modern, stylish & well worth it!

by TripAdvisor Member rachie77

This hotel did exactly what it said on the tin, I think we were lucky as we had a room with a full river view, plasma tv in the bathroom and lush modern furniture for £80 per room per night!

The room is modern, not really 'luxurious' as it is fairly minimilistic but much much better than say a travel inn or something, the bed and lighting makes the room feel special and the view of the river and cobble streets below.

The staff were friendly and the bar was expensive but nice for an odd drink. The food was lovely and whilst slightly pricey worth it for the convienience.

The location is good, just outisde the main hustle bustle but only a few minutes to bars and shopping! All of which are good!

Perfect for a weekend in Bristol

by TripAdvisor Member anna2303

We spent one night at the Brigstow for a celebration weekend. My boyfriend booked it through the hotel's own website at a special weekend rate.

We didn't pay for a riverview room, but we were given one anyway. The room was pleasantly decorated, with a big bed and extra pillows etc. The bathroom had a full bath and a shower cubicle, with a TV built into the wall above the bath!

Reception were helpful, and gave us a parking ticket for reduced rates for the NCP car park around the corner. The bar was a good place for a drink before turning in.

The hotel is ideally located, close to the shops and the town centre - it's particularly well located for the bars around Corn Street.

We enjoyed a fantastic meal at the Glassboat Restaurant moored on the river, just outside the hotel and had good cocktails at Aqua. There are loads of places nearby for breakfast if it's not included in your rate.

All in all, ideal for a weekend stay in Bristol.

A hotel that looks good in a brochure and that's about it!

by TripAdvisor Member Bertis

The Brigstow has all the elements of what a good hotel should be. It is in a good location very central in Bristol, contemporary style, friendly staff and unique layout of the rooms.

However what lets this hotel down is the way all these elements are put together.

For example all rooms have wood flooring - it may look good in photos but the practicality of having it in a hotel is madness - the noise levels are very invasive. The modern build of thin walls does not help keep the noise out either.

The room layout is also inpractical - it seems the designers were more concerned with minimalist style than basic hotel function! I am not against this style at all - I do prefer a minimalist style hotel but one that has had more thoughtfully put together. It is like they have seen the photos of such a hotel in a magazine and copied it.

I'm staying at Hotel Du Vin next time!

Very nice, really enjoyed the stay!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member featherbum

My boyfriend took me to the Brigstow hotel for my birthday, followed by a night at the Rhinefield house hotel in the new forest, for which i will leave a separate review.

We stated the saturday night and we really enjoyed it, the rooms are not huge but a good size, very clean and modern.
We got upgraded to a superior river view room for free which was very nice (my boyfriend called the night before our stay to ask and they agreed it free of charge there and then on the phone so its worth a shot!).

The bathroom had a separate shower and bath, and there is a tv in the bathroom which was cool!
Breakfast wasnt included on the rate, and you need to pay for parking in the adjacent NPC but the hotel validates your ticket and you get 24hours for £9 which is not too bad!

Overall really enjoyed it and definately will go back!!!!

Comments