SACO Bristol - West India House

2-4 Welshback, Bristol, BS1 4SS, United Kingdom

More about Bristol

Bristol Ticket ShopBristol Ticket Shop

City Museum and Art GalleryCity Museum and Art Gallery

mild mild westmild mild west

The old harbourThe old harbour

Weekend in Bristol

by jmschief

Hi,

I'm coming down with 3 lads to Bristol next Friday (11th) and want to get a game of golf in before hitting the bars - can anyone recommend a good golf course?

We're staying at the Premier Lodge and meeting up with some other friends on Saturday for a buddy's stag day/night - any suggestions for entertainment during the day and good places to go at night.

Not too sure about flat out Nightclubs cos we're all a bit long in the tooth now - in our early thirties!!!

Cheers

Jason

Re: Weekend in Bristol

by Bristol_Rich

Jason,

Don't know what standard you play golf to but Shortwood Lodge, Mangotsfield (nr Bristol) is a pretty good course for a bunch of lads to play if they are of mixed abilities. It offers enough of a challenge for a decent golfer and isn't too disheartening if you are complete crap. It also has a relaxed dress code and isn't too expensive. There are better clubs in the area (Clifton, for example) but I don't know whether they will let you turn up and play or not.

As for nighttime entertainment, the waterfront contains the usual assortment of chain bars (Pitcher and Piano, for example), although it's worth checking out the Watershed. Park Street and Clifton are student/well to do areas whereas the pubs on St Michael's Hill are good if you are happy to complete the climb!

Travel Tips for Bristol

The 'Nails' in Corn Street,...

by greebo

The 'Nails' in Corn Street, these were used on market days when merchants were buying grain. The grain was spread on the nail and then the money placed there on top to show that the buyer had the money and that the sack of grain really was grain and not as in some cases a cat tied up in a sack hence the saying 'cash on the nail'.

best sunday afternoon stroll

by Zofia81

My favourite Bristol walk. I was born and bred in Bristol and I oly started to appreciate how beautiful some of the places I saw all the time are a couple of years ago. This is perfect for a Sunday afternoon. From the centre walk along the docks to the Arnolfini, over the bridge to the industrial museum and then down to Cumberland Road. Walk along Cumber land Road until you get to a slip path that goes down alongside the river. You can walk along here for a little while. At the end there is a gate back onto the road. If you come out here you can cross over and go right up to where the Cottage pub is. If you go in to where the pub is off the road you come back to the docks and can walk pack up to the centre.

I think this walk is perfect for chillig out in Bristol. Along the way you can stop for art in the Arnolfini and Spike Island (on cumberland road), a pint in the Nova Scottia or the Cottage (sit outside when the sun is shining!) and a sandwich from Brunel Buttery or a BBQ from the mediteranean place at the end of the walk.

Stuffing the saintly way!

by themajor about Fresh and Wild

Ah, Fresh and Wild. That was my nickname when I was a lad. Or was it the dog's? But I digress...

You would hardly know it to look at me but I am a person of considerable depth and emotional complexity. In fact I have measured my considerable depth and it is at least four and three quarter inches. Did you know for example, that beneath this monocled exterior there lurks an organic stormtrooper! For over 20 years I have been an organic food fetishist and - to the horror of my American chums - bade farewell to car ownership at about the same time. So with an easy conscience (and a holiday hire car) I made my way to Bristol's real food HQ.

I must say I was very impressed by the selection of goods on offer. Not everything sold is organic but if it isn't, it's normally produced from a more environmentally friendly and ethical standpoint. They get extra brownie points for having two particular items on my long time searchlist. Organic lager (never seen it before and a blessing for drinking chums during the BBQ season) and organic cherry juice (haven't come across any since a trip to Budapest but a much yearned for teetotal tipple of mine). The selection of organic breads and cheeses was most impressive and there was also a decent choice of meat. Nice to see, as organic produce is sometimes curiously wedded to vegetarianism. No objection myself but I am partial to the occasional plateful of sausage, egg and chips!

There is also a café within the store. The coffee was pretty good and the cake selection also decent. Customer profiles were generally predictable (and remember I'm part of the movement). Arty types, plenty of wayward hair, frighteningly earnest women...and me in my bowtie. Actually there was more. Whilst we were there an elderly gentlemen came in - obviously a regular - sporting a fine white linen suit and a rather dashing panama hat. Full marks!

Store hours:
Monday–Friday 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Sunday 11:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Buses: 8, 8a, 9, 9a, 43, 55, 54, 99, 624 A white linen suit, a panama hat, and some cherry juice. It's not cheap but it is good.

National Express Coach

by Kodi01

I dislike waiting a long time for buses, but it was the only way to get back to the airport at the time.

Cost 30 GBP in 2002

It was a great way to see the countryside without driving though.

Magnet Fish Bar

by KennetRose about Magnet Fish Bar

A fish 'n' chip shop, but what a fish 'n' chip shop! Everything freshly cooked to order as it should be. batter light and crispy, fish firm and succulent, chips crisp on the outside, soft in the centre. One of the best there is anywhere. Haddock and chips

Comments