Victoria Square Hotel

suvanki's Profile Photo

Comfortable 2* Victorian hotel in Clifton

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 22, 2009

I stayed here overnight, while attending a meeting. My accommodation was booked through Bristol University, so I'm not sure of the cost.
It is located in the attractive Victoria Square, opposite the attractive Victoria Square Gardens in the centre of Clifton, a few minutes walk from Whiteladies Road and its many restaurants, shops and bars.

The hotel comprises of 2 Victorian listed buildings (built around 1870) and has 44non-smoking en suite rooms on 4 floors.

The reception is reached by climbing a few steps. Check in was quite efficient (They had to process our group of about 20)
My room (217) was up 3 flights if steep stairs. There are no lifts, so this would not be ideal for anyone with mobility or breathing problems. I'm not sure if there are rooms on the ground floor.

I was surprised to find that I had a quite spacious corner room, with 2 sash windows opening onto the car park and some greenery.

I had a double bed (2 joined singles), Satellite TV, Kettle with tea and coffee, hairdryer, writing desk/dressing table, clothes rail and stand, chair, 2 bedside tables, ironing board and trouser press. Extra blankets/ pillows.

En-Suite bathroom - WC, Shower, wash basin, towels. Hand wash and shower/hair gel, shoe shine pad and shower cap.

Bar/lounge and Breakfast room on the ground floor. Room Service (limited hours)Selection of tourist info leaflets for Bristol and surrounding area.

Also - Guest laundry Multilingual staff Safe deposit box Free parking Babysitting service
Banquet facilties Photocopy services Fax services Wi-Fi available throughout the hotel for a nominal fee (Though I think I've seen that this is free)

My room was quite comfortable and clean. It was warm at night, even with my windows open (Surprising for April in England!)
I'm afraid that I don't usually sleep very well when I'm away for meetings etc, and was awake at 03.30. There was some distant traffic noise, and an intermittent banging sound, which I think was the refuse lorry doing its rounds. Later, the dawn chorus started, including seagulls. (and pigeons cooing outside my window) Yes, I could have got up and shut the windows, but I'm not sure how sound proof they would have been - they're not double glazed.
A few of my colleagues had also commented on being woken by natures alarm call!

Breakfast was served from 07.00 Continental and English cooked breakfast was included in our booking.

Juices, fruit, cereals, pastries, yogurts, toast (do yourself in a toaster grill) tea and coffee.
Hot Breakfast is pre-cooked- self service from covered heated plates. I just had yogurt, juice and fruit. I think there was bacon, sausage, hash browns, mushrooms, baked beans, scrambled egg, fried egg. It didn't look too appetising to me, but I wasn't really that hungry.
The breakfast staff were polite and efficient, serving tea and coffee.
It's a shame that the breakfasts weren't freshly cooked though.

Ideal for business trips or those wanting a base for a few days to explore Bristol/ visiting family and friends for a reasonable price.

Nearby Victoria Square Hotel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Bristol Travel Forum

Need advice about Bristol, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Bristol and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Bristol hotel reviews