Bedford Park situated on the outskirts of the town centre. It is just one of many beautiful parks and open spaces in the borough of Bedford, but undoubtedly one of the finest parks to be found anywhere.
Here amongst the mature and beautiful trees you will find a delightful ornamental lake which is often used as a backdrop for wedding pictures, two children’s play areas, several hard tennis courts which unusually are free of charge, several very large grassed areas for football, cricket and other such sports, and a typical English park café. There are also several old and pretty buildings housed within the park, all once used by various park-keepers over the years.
Near the main entrance is a “Welcome to Bedford Park” sign. Along with a large map of the park is the the following useful and interesting information:
“The park was designed by the famous landscape gardeners William Barron & Sons of Derby in 1883. The park is registered by English Heritage as Grade II within the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of England.
The design features broad circular carriage drives around the perimeter with serpentine footpaths providing views to features such as the bandstand and lake. The elliptical shaped grassed areas were designed to provide space for ball games such as cricket with other areas for bowling, archery and quoits. The structure of the park has remained virtually unchanged since the park was officially opened on a wet and windy day in July 1888.
William Barron was a keen nurseryman who specialised in growing evergreen trees as well as the moving of mature trees using his patented tree moving machine. The construction of the park took 5 years and included the planting of more than 18,000 trees and shrubs.
Today the park is managed by Bedford Borough Council which is committed to ensuring this historic park is protected. Ongoing maintenance works seek to ensure the park is an attractive environment for residents and visitors to the Borough.
We hope you enjoy visiting our park.”