Icon Hotel

Rated 15% higher but also costs 76% more than other 3 star hotels

More about Luton

Subtle DecorSubtle Decor

DeparturesDepartures

Not London or Luton...another small town nearbyNot London or Luton...another small town nearby

easylandeasyland

A5 congestion - help please!

by smngdfry

Hello all. I'm flying out of Luton for the first time next week, and need some advice about traffic congestion.

I'll be driving from the Travelodge at Hockcliffe to the car park at Slip End, to arrive at about 8.30am. My sat-nav says 10 miles and 20 minutes, but I hear bad things about congestion on the the A5 through Dunstable. Can't afford to miss my flight! So how much time should I allow for the journey?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks!

Simon

by graeme83

I'd say that your sat-nav is spot on. 20-30mins is about right. While the A5 is slow going through Dunstable itself (probably 10 mins to clear the town) once out of the town the road is fast averaging 50-60mph.

by leics

Although I've not approached Luton from the A5/Dunstable, I would warn you that the 'improvements' to the airport approach road have caused long tailbacks at busy times (especially early morning, when many budget flights depart).

My regular car park people warn about this on their website, and I've experienced it myself (what should be a 5 minutes journey taking 20+).

Basically, there is a small-ish roundabout for airport entrance through which all must pass (buses, shuttles, taxis, short-stays). This traffic crosses other traffic going to/from the long-stay car parks (etc). The combination can result in long delays (according to my car park people, mostly between 6am and 9am).

So whatever your satnav says, and given that you will be travelling during rush-hour anyway, I would allow more (to cover the car park shuttle>airport segment at least).

I acknowledge that I am a cautious soul and you may fly through (no pun!) with no delays.... but I always feel happier allowing myself too much time than too little.

by brazzi

graeme83 is spot on,but if the traffic is really bad before you reach dunstable,set your sat nav for eaton bray, then whipsnade,then kensworth,then slip end,this takes you on a scenic route BUT,there are lots of routes like this and they are well known,and well used,so unless there is major congestion set of a bit sooner and go thru dunstable

Comments