The Mansion House, Luton Hoo Park, Luton, LU1 3TQ, United Kingdom
Official Site Hotels.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Luton Hoo Hotel Golf and Spa

For afternoon tea NOT a sleep-over.

by TripAdvisor Member suzannah00

The clientelle was made up of coach parties of Senior Citizens having afternoon tea who were having a jolly time.

Baring in mind, we were looking for a romantic and peaceful weekend away, Luton Hoo did not suit our requirements.

I would not recommend Luton Hoo for younger people.

'Fawlty Towers' indeed!

by TripAdvisor Member Thethree0fus

Luton Hoo is beautiful place with supurb food that is drastically let down by poor service and lack of staff in the food areas. We went all out on this weekend and spent nearly £800 on a visit that included lunch, spa, formal dinner, one overnight stay, breakfast and afternoon tea. It was so dissapointing to have to flag down waitors (including standing up and looking for one) and repeatedly ask for cutlery/water/our food etc. We wrote to the manager afterwards who was dismissive (I see we are not the only guests to have received this reponse) and suggested we stayed again to see this was a one off! I would strongly recommend anyone considering staying at Luton Hoo to look into The Grove in Watford. Here you get attentive 5-star service for your money!

Disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member daisymayBedfordshire

21st June 2008

We booked a Mansion Master Bedroom with Romantic Package for our Wedding night . As we knew we would be late arrivals my then husband to be delivered our car and an overnight bag to Luton Hoo on the Saturday morning.

When we arrived we were shown to our room Number 037, which was OK but nothing special, the champagne opened, when we realized our bag was not in the room, we had to ring down for it. Although it was bought promptly to our room, it should have been there waiting for us.

On the Sunday morning we decided to have breakfast in the dining room, and to our disappointment we found the whole of breakfast to be buffet style. While we accept this is the ideal way to offer a full cold selection we did not expect the hot food to be sitting on hotplates but for it to be cooked to order.

The hotel advertises itself as a "5 star luxury hotel", we certainly didn't find this but overpriced with indifferent service from the staff, poor quality of food and an overall lack of attention to detail.

Even the reponse from my complaint was indifferent. I would not recommend Luton Hoo especially for a special occassion. Fortunately we are going to Soneva Fushi in the Maldives for our
honeymoon where they understand what 5 star service really means!

quintessentially british

by TripAdvisor Member Nemausus

I am very surprised to read some of the negative reviews. My wife and I stayed at Luton Hoo to get away from London for a weekend with our three year old and the hotel exceeded all our pampering expectations! We had a spacious room in the mansion, overlooking the gardens, our daughter had a bed in a different room, separate from our main bedroom and we all enjoyed the facilities, the swimming pool and the spa. The restaurant was set in splendid decor and they cooked our breakfast to order.
In addition, we were lucky with the weather, which meant we could really enjoy walking around the grounds and seeing the beautiful landscaped gardens. Our daughter loved taking the golf buggie to go to the spa. We did not once hear planes from the airport and the service was absolutely fine. The clientele was varied and included some wealthy visitors arriving by helicopter or Rolls royce. We felt really privileged. Were we lucky? I don't think so and I cant wait to go back.

Stunnin

by TripAdvisor Member XHappyTravellerX

I had the pleasure of staying here and also there other hotel Tynley Hall and i can honestly say i was not disappointed with either of them.

The grounds were amazing. We parked the car and went up to the hotel and we were greeted by the very friendly and smiling guy on the front door (Anthony i believe his name was)

My room was perfect (Lord Bute's suite) and the view from my room was amazin.

The staff were very professional and friendly. The food was perfect.

I will be going back to the hotel very soon!.

Palatial, Grand. Room service limited

by TripAdvisor Member garyfongdotcom

This is a palace. This is one of the most spectacular properties I've ever seen, with an incredible long motorway to the building. The entrance is a canopy of spectacular trees, with a stunning garden and pheasants scattered about.

The bathroom floors are heated, and the bath amenities are generous (bath gels, lotions, all of higher quality).

We took tea in the tea room, and it was traditional and very very british. Dress code appears to be less than casual, though there's nothing posted about - one can tell that you are not in California.

I would give it five circles, but:

1) the sheets are scratchy
2) The room service is limited to sandwiches

I needed to borrow power converters, and they made me sign a $10 deposit to my room for the return of each one. I guess that is fair and all, but at 300 pounds a night, I don't know. Kind of petty.

Cheers.

Watch out for aircraft noise!

by TripAdvisor Member MuffinmanLondon_UK

There are many positives about this hotel - but do watch out for the staff - we found one member in particular who was quite unpleasant to us - without any reason on our part.

Also watch the location - it is right under the flight path to Luton Airport - with planes taking off from less than a mile away and then turning over the hotel.

Poor response to a polite complaint

by TripAdvisor Member marcianna

The manager was dismissive in his apology and offered no compensation at all to a polite email sent following our visit. Our first night away from our new baby was spoiled by heavy machinery and gardening outside our room at 7.30 in the morning. A lie in was a much needed requirement of our treat and it was extremely disappointing to leave feeling worse than when we arrived! However, a more diplomatic and sensitive response could have ensured a repeat visit.

Very relaxing weekend break

by TripAdvisor Member JasmineSurrey

I booked this hotel for our 20th wedding anniversary for the golf for my husband and the spa for me and we both found the whole experience wonderful. The hotel, the grounds, the food and the service were all excellent. We had a gorgeous suite as it was a special occasion with wonderful views and a fantastic sunset and sunrise from our windows - not cheap but worth every penny. I did read the reviews before I booked but decided to go with it, as the negative things that people wrote were quite small in my opinion, and I am so glad that I did. I wish we could afford to go every month!

BEDFORDSHIRE

by Acirfa

"Bored-for-sure?!"

So what is about Bedfordshire which makes it seem so, well, unglamorous is perhaps the kindest description. Perhaps it is the proximity of its more glamorous neighbouring counties that detract? It is positioned amongst Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire, home to the Chiltern Hills, Aylesbury, Cambridge University and St Albans to mention just a few of the destinations of note that England has to offer. Ok there’s also Northamptonshire, a neighbour which has an equivalent dearth of talent when it comes to heritage and attractions, but three out of four aint bad!

But should you chose Bedfordshire as your destination of pleasure, the most noteworthy town (for noteworthy read biggest) is Luton-and that is most famed for the Martini advertisements of the early 80’s ‘Were you truly wafted from paradise?’-‘Nah Luton Airport’ ( whatever happened to Lorraine Chase?) or Eric Morecombe (now there’s a true legend!)

And yet, with a little delving, I’m sure the county will have a few treasures-no, it has no Cities and therefore no Cathedrals, but I’m told it does have heritage and history if one is patient and diligent. To its eternal credit though, it does act as home to two of the best attractions the UK has to offer.

Whilst Bedford Castle and Luton Hoo are apparently worth a mention in passing, I have no personal experience of visiting. But Whipsnade Animal Park and Woburn Abbey/Safari Park are, by many accounts, as fine family attractions as England has to offer. Both wildlife parks offer animals in a setting that, whilst not the wild for which they were intended, is exponentially better than the traditional zoo confines traditional associated with animals in captivity.

But that, I’m afraid, from this viewpoint, is that in terms of Bedfordshire-although I’m sure fellow VTer’s can put me straight on the delights I am missing here!

Luton Airport Parkway Rail StationLuton Airport Parkway Rail Station

Just before touchdown....no London in sight!Just before touchdown....no London in sight!

The town centre.The town centre.

Accommodation in Luton near Airport

by MikeWoodbine

We have an early morning flight out of Luton 6:30am and thought it best to stay the night at a hotel or B&B nearby.
Any suggestions that are reasonable and how far to the airport are they?
Is it difficult to get a taxis early in the morning.
Thanks
Mike & Jean
Australia

RE: Accommodation in Luton near Airport

by bonio

There is a holiday inn just a few minutes walk away from the airport.

that link should take you to it. Spent a night there a couple of years ago, it's ok.

Alan

RE: RE: Accommodation in Luton near Airport

by chrishc

Lots of accommodation available and taxis will be plentiful.

Comments