Menzies Strathmore

Trains Business Travel Budget Travel
SLK's Profile Photo

Hard exterior, slick inside

by written on May 27, 2010

From the outside it looks like a grim concrete block, inside it's marbled floors, brass and air conditioning.

Reception and breakfast staff were polite and professional. For those that like stuffing their face the £9 breakfast is well worth it. A good selection of fresh fruit, cereal, breads, cold meats, kippers and the typical english breakfast.

Internet access is available and the restaurant menu looked a little pricey and I ate out. I expect it would have been of a good standard...maybe next time.

The window view overlooking a carpark wasnt great it was quiet.

I would stay here again.

Unique Quality: Guests are able to use the gym, sauna, steam room facilities free of charge. There is also a beauty therapist who is reasonably priced.

A great central base if you're travelling by train to Luton. It seems lots of airline staff stop here.

Directions: Centre of Luton
3 minute walk from Luton railway station.
Walk out of the Arndale shopping centre, 40metre walk to hotel

johngayton's Profile Photo

Full Service, Budget Price!

by written on January 5, 2010

I was impressed with this hotel. It provided a good, all-round, mid-market 3-star performance in the town centre at a price that wouldn't even have covered a scummy, no-star, out-of-town, B&B in most other UK locations.

Everything was spot-on. Reception was friendly with an effortless check-in. The room had all the expected 3-star bits and bobs including its own iron and ironing board. The bed was comfortable, the room warm and clean. The WiFi connection fast and faultless ( I think there would have been an extra charge for it but as I had some time left from a BT Openzone voucher I don't know how much it is). The hotel was quiet on the weekend I stayed and so the cooked breakfast was from the kitchen, rather than from the buffet, whilst the cold part of the buffet was well-stocked with plenty of choices.

I do believe there is also complimentary use of the hotel's liesure facilities including gym and pool but for me the town centre location was ideal for the pubs.

Unique Quality: Nothing particularly special except the price but I'll definitely stay here again if I can get a similar rate, or even if it's slightly more.

Directions: Just off the town's main square. About a five minute walk through the shopping mall from the railway station.

colin_bramso's Profile Photo

Town centre location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 2, 2008

First the bad news. We booked online but when we checked in there was no record in the computer - fortunately they had rooms available.

A business meeting was missed because reception told the visitor that we had not checked into the hotel so he left. We were waiting in our room for him.

Now the good news. The public areas have recently been refurbished, so are modern, clean and businesslike.

The standard room we booked (they also have 'superior' rooms and I realise now that I should have booked one of those) was small, traditional style but was clean and well serviced. Housekeeping was excellent, with the supervisor checking every room every day to see that housekeeping was up to standard.

The staff are a little amateurish but willing to please and the food for breakfast and dinner was acceptable, although nothing special.

Unique Quality: The biggest attribute for the hotel is its location right in the centre of town, adjoining the shopping mall and walking distance to the shops, restaurants, station etc. It has a large car park adjoining (at a cost of £8 a day).

Directions: Right in the centre of town adjoining the Arndale Centre mall, library and Tourist Information Centre.

ballerina's Profile Photo

Highest quality hotel

by written on June 11, 2004

Centrally located overlooking the own square. Staff well presented. Used for conferences lots. Food is good, rooms are a standard good quality. Hotel looks a bit concrete and has no special character about it. Generic.

Unique Quality: central location.
massive car park next door.

Directions: Town centre

9 Photos of Menzies Strathmore

Luton Travel Forum

Need advice about Luton, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Luton and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Luton hotel reviews