Bird In Hand Country Inn

Bath Road, Knowl Hill, Reading, RG10 9UP, United Kingdom
The Bird In Hand Country Inn
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Reading

main shopping areamain shopping area

St.Mary's Butts from Civic Cntr. March 15th, 1993.St.Mary's Butts from Civic Cntr. March 15th, 1993.

HA! HA! BarHA! HA! Bar

Witch over Cemetery JunctionWitch over Cemetery Junction

Travel Tips for Reading

Bar 'The Bull'... was close to...

by a_manisa

Bar 'The Bull'... was close to the Heckfield, but I cannot describe its actual location now. In 1988 I loved this small bar with its warm atmosphere and friendly owners. I hope this little bar still exists...

Traditional curry house

by KennetRose about Khukuri

Slightly gloomy-looking Nepalese-Indian restaurant in elegant London Street. The food, especially the Nepalese specialities, is good and the service friendly and efficient without being overbearing. All the usual suspects available, but best to choose the Nepalese specialities, delicately-spiced and without being drowned in sauces.

Reading

by uglyscot

"in the centre"

I went to Reading to meet VT Elodie_Caroline and her husband. Unfortunately it was a cold day with wind and rain, so we just sat and chatted most of the time.
What can I say about what I saw- well, it seems a typical English town, with its pedestrian shopping area, with the usual High Street chains, though they did take me down a side street that they called 'Stinky or Smelly Alley' because there is a fishmonger's there.
Some of the architecture is quite attractive, but there are some modern monstrosities.

"Brick buildings"

Many of the older buildings are built of red brick

The cafe diaries of Iris B. - nomad by birth :)

by iris2002

"January 2006"

"Reading-11:40am" - 3-1-06

Walking through Broadstreet today, flanked by window upon window of sales-signage, I felt as if the whole world had decided to sell out. I looked up and for the first time - after living here a couple of months now - noticed some remarkable architecture above the retail outlets. So I slowed my pace and got a few strange looks, walking in the middle of the street, hands crossed in my back, gazing up with a vacant smile.

Further down at the crossroads I took a break and stepped into Costa's Cafe, a windowseat all to myself, watching the mainly dark clothed mass of passers by making their way to everything that's 20-50% off. Sale, Sale, Sale - all with that urgent look burnt in their faces. Happy New Year!

From the outside in the Cafe must look just like a zoo: strange animals behind glass on exhibition. I wondered for a second what the ones looking in might make of me? Watching a woman, tiny smile on her face, whilst scribbling in a notebook and once in a while sipping on her hot-chocolate.
I felt grateful sitting there, humbe for what I have become, even though times had been rough the past few months. At least I had not "sold out", allthough life becomes harder dancing to your own drum. Thank God I am not caught up in all that materialistic frenzy. Two people had just bumped into each other, and were now shouting at each other with angry faces.
I got up to get a re-fill. After sitting down again, whilst tapping my biro on my notebook in hope for inspiration, I glanced at the neighbouring table and found myself eye-to-eye with a stranger, observing me. His dark, noble looks not from this country, the cigaret in his hand painting a slim line of smoke. I blushed and turned back, feeling detected.

Taking a big gulp of my hot-chocolate the marshmallows had by now formed a sickeningly sweet surface layer. I put on my parka and headed back along "Sales Street". With only ?4 in my pocket I still seemed to be the happiest face in the crowd.

Turning into a small alley way that led to a path crossing an old graveyard with church - bang smack in the middle of the modern city - I found myself in an oasis of tranquility - built in 1551.
A most unusual spot, once one set foot on the tiled path the outside world, noise and hectic seemed to vanish. What was left ws a tiled, meandering walkway under huge trees - chestnuts I think - the lawn to both sides strawn with gravestones so old and weathered, most of the inscriptions eroded. Some had toppled over, broken, seemingly tired of standing straight.
Two squirrls played around a tree trunk, making pedestrians smile. It was like in a twilight zone.
As soon as I headed out on the main street again all my senses were assaulted; dirt, noise and busy cars waiting for the chance, for me to step off that curb and loose my footing: "Pedestrain - 100 points" .... Better luck next time, folks.

Comments