25b Friar Street, Reading, Berkshire, RG1 1DP, United Kingdom

Tingo.com AMOMA.com

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

A French Touch in the Centre of Reading

I am a member of Accor Club so I booked this hotel, the welcome was warm, both the agents at the desk were French.
    Nice room, with nice bathroom
    Internet is not free.
    But there is a mac available downstairs connected to the Internet which you are able to use.

Unique Quality: Centre of town, you can walk everywhere
    comfortable hotel
    Late check out at 5 pm on sundays
    French staff and international management
    Accor Brand

• excellent hotel but closed bar and restaurant.

Excellent hotel, really clean, very nice room and facilities. When I booked a table in the restaurant at check-in, the receptionist said that I didn't need to book. I didn't need to book because the bar and restaurant facilities are closed and Friday/Saturdays. Had I known this I would have researched for a really good restaurant in the town. Lovelly pool although it was full of kids so swimming was impossible. Didn't find the hamman Turkesh massage. Cooking of the breakfast was excellent. Car park @ £14 was very tight but secure.

Unique Quality: Quality of the finish of the rooms was very high. Excellent pool. Tasty breakfast.

Directions: Bang in the middle of town centre. Ten minutes walk from train station

More about Novotel Reading Centre

Novotel Reading Centre-I'll Be Back!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Limey62

I haven't been back to England in 34 years, thanks to my stay at the Novotel Reading (July 1st-8th, 2007) my return trip home has been a marvelous and nostaligic experience.

The hotel accommodations were not only modern and functional, but also catered wonderfully to the tourist and business class traveller with ease. The professionalism and friendliness exuded by the staff further enhanced and my ability to relax comfortably during my stay. I'm not sure if it's the great water pressure of the showers, the industrial flush of the toilets or the wonderful Mojitos and French Martinis that I consumed in the lounge that enhanced my visit the most. The location of the hotel couldn't be situated any better, like a meddlesome mother-in-law, it's truly is right in the middle of everything!

I would like to thank all of the staff for making my trip a memorable one, in particular I would like to thank "Cristian" and "Karolina" for really making me feel welcome and for providing some great memories and fun times! If you are looking for a cocktail experience please see "Cristian" in the Elements lounge of the hotel, the way he prepares a drink is a work of art!!!!

I plan on returning to Reading in the fall and will most certainly will be staying at the Novotel again.

Really Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Saroesque

I stayed at the Novotel Reading for one night in August this year on business.

The hotel is nice and central - easy to reach from the train station, which was good for me as I was dropped off there by the RailAir Bus from Heathrow.

I shared a twin room with a colleague. The rooms were immaculate and very nicely presented. The toilet was separate to the bath/shower room, which was handy when sharing with someone.

The bed was really comfy, as were the pillows (one of my pet hate is horrid flat pillows, but these were fluffy fresh smelling ones!).

Our view wasn't great, but then we were only there for one night so no big deal.

The buffet breakfast the next day was really tasty - a great selection of cereals, cooked items, pastries, cheeses etc.. Although our breakfast was paid for by the company, I thought the £14 price tag was pretty excessive.

The only complaint I have really is that because it's central its pretty noisy with pub/club goers. But then I could've kept my window closed and that would've drowned it out a bit.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the Novotel and would definitely visit again.

Bright spot in a trip from hell

by TripAdvisor Member Thamyris

I arrived in Reading in torrential rain on the night that began the great British midlands flood disaster of July 2007, and on a last-minute business trip from hell, flying from the Middle East to Heathrow on an appalling British Airways experience. Not in the best of moods when, cold, tired and wet, I checked into this chain hotel for two nights. But I was more than soothed by its excellence.
This is clearly a very new hotel, spotlessly clean and comfortable throughout. The reception staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. My request for a very late checkout was cheerfully accepted. One minor annoyance in the room was a separate small toilet with no washbasin, requiring a trip to the bathroom just to wash hands. However, the bathroom was elegant and the shower and taps responsive and powerful (I was on the ninth floor). The flat screen TV also had Internet which worked fine and the bed was crisp and comfortable.
Breakfast here was a star experience - the freshly cooked full English buffet was so good I seriously over-ate, which I rarely do.
The ambiance of the modernist red-white bar was a little bleak and cold and it seemed a bit under-stocked - I heard a couple of customers being told "we don't have that" - including one who ordered a Red Label. However, the charm and politeness of the barman warmed the place considerably.
I would say it deserves its place near the top of the list for Reading, and would strongly recommend it to any business traveller. More romantic guests might find the modernist design a little cold and impersonal.

Great Stay

by TripAdvisor Member LindaJardine

We stayed here for 2 nights as we were heading to Lego-land for 2 days and was the perfect base to return to each night. The room was spotless and would have been quite roomy but the sofa bed had been pulled out into a bed so this restricted the space in the room.
Like other reviewers we found the toilet on its own with no sink a little irratating but just a minor problem, and on the saturday night there was a little noise from the party goers on the street outside.
The leisure facilities were excellent, staff were very friendly especially the breakfast waiters they talked and played with my 5 year old and he loved it.
Food at breakfast was again excellent very fresh and not in troughs as though its been cooked for hours! there was smoked salmon fresh fruit, and full english.
We didn't eat in the hotel as night as drinks were pricey and food looked expensive and we all wanted a Thai. (recommend the one across the road from the hotel!)
For 59 per night you can't beat this hotel and we will definitely return when we do the Legoland trip again.

Fabulous, oh! the breakfast!

by TripAdvisor Member maryjaneLondon

I have stayed at Novotel's before. it is a French chain, specialising in providing immaculate rooms, in modular style so they can provide exceptional luxury facilities in the smallest possible space. This sounds as though the rooms are small and they are not, but so much is packed in, so ingeniously, you never really feel cramped.

The staff are wonderful and being right in the centre of Reading town, you have every possible amenity just steps away.

Drive to Garrad Street car park and turn right into the private car park at the top of the hill. It is not clear from the hotel directions, that this is their car park but it is under the hotel and a door then lift, takes you right up to reception.

There is a nice pool with changing rooms, showers, steam room and sauna on a par with the most luxurious health club with an excellent fitness room.

The toilet is seperate but we got used to that in the French outlets we have stayed in. I packed some antibacterial wipes for the toilet. The bathroom was nice, shower pressure great, ample towels, quality toiletries and the pool has masses of towels available if you need more.

We asked for extra pillows and the staff insisted on coming up to make up the sofabed for our son while we were out, and even arranged his soft toys for him. We got 4 extra pillows.

Breakfast is incredible; there is nothing they have not thought of and even on the busy Sunday morning, breakfast was fabulous and supplies constantly replenished. I also saw wait staff picking over the hot food, for anything which had sat for too long and had got a bit dried up. it was removed and replaced.

The bar served a massive repertoire of drinks and cocktails - they mix a killer marguerita.

Food is excellent, quality and quantity with room service 24 hours - the full menu, not a few dried up sandwiches at 2am.

My one complaint; the room was excessively hot. it does have AC but despite turning it to the lowest setting with full fan, nothing was coming out of the vent and the windows are blocked from opening more than an inch. it was unseasonably hot when we were there, but it was quite uncomfortable. I did not complain as we were in the room so little.

We paid £59.00/night for two nights which included breakfast. Incredibly good value. Breakfast included every English item you can thing of plus pastries such as croissants, plain, chocolate, raisin and waffles, yoghourts, an assortment of cereals, meats, cheeses, salmon, kippers, breads, preserves and an assortment of juices and waters. Wonderful. I could have spent all day sitting there.

Best of all, breakfast is served until late (about 11 am or noon) and check out on a Sunday is not until 5pm!

This is a hotel chain with its head screwed on. By offering excellent rates at weekends, they attract families and people who order lots of food and drink in their bar because they didn't already get fleeced on the room rate. Plus, they come back, tell their friends and write great reviews on forums such a Tripadvisor!

One nice touch; the restaurant has single tables with a flat screen tv screen inset into the wall beside it, so if you are a single traveller, you need not feel alone in the dining room!

I believe the hotel does have superior rooms to the one we had, but the rates are pretty astronomical. Their 'superior' rooms are perfectly fine, comfortable and luxurious. Stay here in Reading, you will not regret it.

Brilliant hotel

by TripAdvisor Member fender42uk

My partner and I stayed here (we are Accor fans) for 2 nights. The hotel is extremely impressive. The check-in was efficient and carried out in an extremely friendly fashion by the French receptionists. (All Accor hotels have French staff). The reception area is quite impressive. We were given a smoking room on the 13th floor with view of Reading ... hmm ... not one of your more architecturally impressive places, Reading. And STILL you get noise from the local clubs in the night. Bearable though. The room was extremely well presented and clean; the bathroom being a complete planner's delight! The washbasin is a piece of curved post-formed formica. Obviously chosen for its cleanability and lack of nooks and crannies for nasties. We were very impressed by the swivelling desk in the room ... you are able to pull it out on wheels at right angles to the wall to eat or use your laptop. Nice touch, we felt. Bed was fine - firm and more than large enough for two people to spread their wings. We took breakfast in the restaurant on both mornings and could not fault the experience. The food was well laid out and asking to be eaten. And the coffee ... we tend to judge hotels by their showers and their coffee - the coffee was strong and French and just right for those of us who need a kick-start in the mornings. The hotel staff are all extremely friendly and good at their jobs. If this is the new re-branding of Novotel, then they're doing a fine job. All in all - a very good experience for both of us - apart from the parking problem. The hotel car park has room for about 20 cars and that's it. If you get a space when you arrive, our advice is to leave the car there. There won't be one when you come back! We left our car in a rather naughty place outside the car park for about an hour and returned just in time to avoid being clamped. Although it HAD happened to someone else about 20 yards away. There is an NCP car park some 50 yards away, so it may be best just to park there if you can't use the hotel's car park - although when we came back at about 11pm, there WAS a space in the car park, but only one. Which we took of course. Oh yes, and the car that had been clamped was still there complete with Denver Boot! This hotel is really good and we recommend it highly.

Best UK hotel for a while!

by TripAdvisor Member natashaf

Booked at the last minute, got an excellent B & B rate.
Excellent service.
Immaculate rooms.
Very modern.
Hotel was exceptionally clean.
Loved the pool (even if quite small) and sauna/ steam room.
Delicious breakfast, loads to choose from - cereals, yoghurts, breads, cheeses and meats or traditional cooked breakfast.
Wide range of juices and teas.
Hotel bar and restaurant a bit pricey.
Hotel car park very small but NCP (with reduced rate for hotel) just over road.
Less than a minutes walk from Reading station.
Right in centre of reading with plenty of places to eat and drink.
Would definitely recommend. Best UK hotel I have stayed in for a long time!

A weekend in Reading

by TripAdvisor Member Ell-ay

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and it was a very pleasant stay. Compared to other Novotel hotels I've stayed in, the decor was fresh as it's a fairly new hotel. The room was spacious, we had a superior room with a sofa. Breakfast was included in the price. The staff were very helpful in bringing it up to our room. The food selection was very good, both warm and cold. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to stay in Reading City Centre.

The best in and around Reading.

by TripAdvisor Member Neilb62

We regularly use the Novotel in Reading to visit family in the town and have stayed there over a dozen times to date.
Simply it is excellent. Stylish, modern, clean and with a breakfast to die for. The food in the restaurant is also excellent, well above average. The staff are friendly and efficient, and have even started to remember us when we visit.
Can't comment on the car park as we use the (subsidized by the hotel) NCP nearby.
The Hotel is right in the town center but is well insulated from the noise, simply we can't recommend it enough.

Comments