Taplow Common Road, Burnham, Slough, , Buckinghamshire, SL1 8LP, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Windsor

Virginia waterfallsVirginia waterfalls

Approaching the castle after the security checkApproaching the castle after the security check

lovely old buildings along the road to Etonlovely old buildings along the road to Eton

the Thames runs through Windsorthe Thames runs through Windsor

Legoland question

by MedMen

Good day for all

Question for ‘em parents whom already had their pockets emptied in Legoland…

My son is a big Lego fan, much like the child that hides within his dad… we plane to end our London vacation visiting Legoland, actually departing to Heathrow just at the end of the visit. I know there is a mega Lego store in the park: does anyone remembers how were the prices there compared to Toys R Us or Hamelis for instance? I don’t mind paying 10% more for the adventure of buying Lego at Legoland, but would prefer to do my shopping in Toys R Us the day before, if the difference is bigger.

Thank you for your help.

by KakapoTheParrot

As I recall the prices are pretty well what you get elsewhere. What's different is that you can see a pretty full set of the Lego range at the time you visit. Obviously, this changes from year to year so a look at the Lego web site should give you an idea of what's new. The other thing that's really exciting (says the Father who decided his daughter needed a Lego train set for Christmas and made suitable arrangements with the White-bearded One) is that they have (or at least had) a Pick and Mix. Granted it's not cheap but when you need more roofing bricks, extra doors and windows, and particular pieces for building merry-go-rounds it's just brilliant.

Now, where was I? Got a bit carried away there. Oh yes, Legoland prices. Not sure about Toys R Us, but Hamelis is expensive. Not quite the same as going home with a box under your arm, but we found Amazon is actually your best bet and for older hard to obtain stuff, ebay.

by MedMen

As I am a tourist at the UK, Amazon is out of question for me: the buying procedure (at a store) is also, after all, part of the Childs adventure. I have checked various UK web sites, and it seems Toys R Us, Hamelis, John Smith etc. all offer the same prices, sometimes with just one p difference. Anyway: I think we will actually stick to the option of buying the Lego's at Legoland, as you suggested. Thanks again.

by rlg2706

We are regular visitors to Legoland and I would say that the prices are fairly standard with what you could expect in the toy shops outside of Legoland. The Legoland shop offers a far greater selection and of course it's more fun for the kids to buy something after their visit to the Legoland Park. I wouldn't go to the trouble of shopping elsewhere. They also often have sale items which can be a good bargain. last year they had the Harry Potter castle half price. I didn't buy it as my son wasn't interested but this year he has decided he wants it!!! Just avoid the clothing shop, the prices in there are extortionate!

Travel Tips for Windsor

Horse and Cart on the Great Walk

by easyoar

Some of the richer tourists opt to take a horse and cart ride along some of the Long Walk.

However it is not unheard of to see the Royals riding up and down. A colleague of mine swore blind that he had almost been run over by one of the senior royals when he was out jogging one evening!

Really I just like the picture with the low winter sun glinting off the cart, and I feel the Long Walk and a Horse and Cart go together quite well, and it doesn't cost anything to take a picture of the Horse and Cart!

Flower Market

by easyoar

This tip cross-references very nicely to my Tenerife page (where I have just been) and to a tip I wrote there (see link for this!).

The flower in this picture is obviously known as the Bird of paradise Flower over here, but in Tenerife is is known as Strelitzia.

Another difference is that over here (the UK), the flower costs £2.75 which is approx $5 USD. In Tenerife, you can pretty much pick one for free!

Avoid long lines

by Dabs

We got to Windsor Castle around 10:30, watched the Changing of the Guard at 11am and then headed to the Doll House and State Apartments. This turned out to be a very good way to visit the Castle as the queues later on in the day were very long for the Doll House.

It looked like there was a separate queue if you wanted to skip the Doll House and just visit the State apartments and there didn't appear to be any waiting in that line.

The Royal Windsors

by Jenniflower

Even though I am not English myself, I do have close English family and a very strong English bloodline.

I dont know if it's because of this, that I do love all things royal!

Well, perhaps not ALL things - they do make silly bananas of themselves sometimes... but I do love this town, and always smile when I hear the coleagues I work with say 'the flag is up, the queen is home'.

I can actually see the castle from where my department is, and I always look to see if the flag is up. I then... on the way home... walk right past it.

People complain they use up so much money - and dont actually bring in a wage.. but I think they do... just by them being here.

Thousands upon thousands of people visit England (and Windsor!) every year, to visit the castle and the town.

They are integral to this town and to the nation as a whole I feel.

If you're from Vancouver and female.

by mwe

A full-length leather coat (you call it your Gestapo coat) to proudly tell everyone you're a feminist from Vancouver and you need a man to protect you. Feminists from Vancouver prefer vibrators to men (cheaper and more reliable), but are fun to be with and like their male friends.

Comments