Harte & Garter Hotel

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Tdiver's Profile Photo

Best view of the castle.

Reopened in July last year and had a few changes inside.
    Check their web page for all the information but now comes with a spa.
    Stayed here on our wedding day and were looked after extremely well and our guests.
    Now has a Wagamama noodle bar where the old fish and chip restaurant was.

Unique Quality: Directly opposite the Castle and close to everything.

Directions: Opposite the Castle.

More about Harte & Garter Hotel

Fantastic !!

by TripAdvisor Member Fussy73

My partner and I had a last minute break to Windsor and heard that the Harte & Garter had just opened after a refurb, so we decided to give it a try.

When we arrived it was very busy, which is always a good sign, we checked in and the room was fabulous, a four poster bed, huge bathroom and we over looked Windsor Castle.
It was bad weather so we ate in the hotel in the Tower Restaurant, the service was great, the food was great and the Saxophanist playing was a nice touch.
We wished we had booked longer! But we will be back.....

All looks, no brains

by TripAdvisor Member OrangeTX

Let me start by saying I never write reviews, and never write anything very long. This was worth the exception. I was visiting the Windsor area on a business trip and decided on the Harte & Garter because it was one of my company's preferred hotels. I'm not sure why my company prefers it and I'm going to recommend they stop.

When I first arrived (after a very long day of travel) I was about an hour early for check in and they would make no exceptions. This is fine; I would rather wait then be sent to a dirty room. Except upon check-in (1hr after check in time) I was escorted to a very dirty room. It took about 10 minutes and countless attempts on the phone from my front desk escort to finally find a clean and available room. The room was fresh and new looking so I hoped this was the beginning and end of trouble.

A day after, the WiFi stops working in my room. They give me a new "voucher" card with a code on it and tell me then that it expires every 24 hours. This may not be a problem except when you're on a business trip and in the middle of working on something and your WiFi dies.

The following day my room key stops working. Two days later it stops working again. Instead of apologizing they make excuses saying that it is my cell phone (which I didn't have on me) and that all the key codes get “wiped on Tuesdays." Beware if you stay over a Tuesday, your key may stop working.

The same day I’m in my room in the afternoon and someone that looks like they work at the hotel knocks on the door as they are opening it and coming in. She didn’t apologize and acted as though she was just seeing if things were ok, and upon me telling her about my room key frustration she was clearly not interested in helping and started speaking to someone else in the hall as I was talking to her.

As a whole the front desk staff is less than informed and less then accommodating to guests. Often I would stand at the desk with waiting for them to stop chatting with each other or organizing their pencils or whatever they were doing at the back desk, ask a question and get a less then helpful answer in a tone that sounded like they were bothered I was asking.

I suppose you’re paying for the location and a clean room, and not much for customer service. Although at the #2 ranked hotel on traveladvisor for Windsor I would expect much more in terms of service; above and beyond room keys working.

Spa not open until Feb but still worth staying

by TripAdvisor Member Pescod

Despite what lastminute, laterooms and their own website says the spa is not open unil February....Still this is an excellent hotel, very nice decor as per website and the staff are very helpful. Its worth booking the breakfast in the morning as it is delightful. We are booked to go back when the spa opens. it is next to the entrance of Windsor castle and all the good shops and restaurants are in the next street. Great for a relaxing weekend!!! Best hotel in Windsor.

Classy hotel with helpful staff

by TripAdvisor Member Nicos41

Booked this one night stay through Laterooms after picking up my girlfriend from Heathrow and as this was her first visit to England wanted to stay somewhere nice that was a bit different.

First thing that struck me was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The girl on reception offered me a great room looking straight at the castle.

Wi-fi access was also free if a bit slow but overall it was a great experience. Unfortunately we didn't get chance to try the restaurant but this also looked good.

Be aware there is no parking and parking in nearby NCPs is VERY expensive, but this is Windsor

Too posh for parking

by TripAdvisor Member Sarah555

We stayed in this hotel for their New Years Eve party for one night. The hotel rooms are lovely, ours overlooked Windsor Castle. The room was very spacious and clean, the bed was comfy and the bathroom was extremely nice. There was also free WiFi and a plasma screen TV, plus the usual comforts you'd expect at this kind of price. The decor was very nice, and the whole hotel, including lobbys etc had a really modern and slightly opulent feel to it.

Unfortunately, there is no parking at the hotel. Actually, this wasn't made entirely clear until after we had booked, and it also wasn't really clear how difficult it is to park in Windsor until we got there. We tried the station carpark, which they recommend, but it was full, and frankly too far to walk with our suit carriers and luggage. We ended up in the big multi-storey in the centre. This cost £15 for 24 hours which is frankly extortionate, and I do believe the hotel ought to pay for people's parking if they cannot offer a carpark themselves. It was a good 10 min walk to the hotel from here, which was rather a pain. There is another carpark open on weekends which is closer and cheaper, but we were there on a Monday.

My other gripe was with breakfast. We paid £120 to stay here and at that price I would expect a decent waiter service breakfast, such as you would get with a Malmaison. We were faced with a buffet breakfast with not much choice, and I was shocked to find all the food in the 'hot cupboards' was in fact almost cold. It was quite disgusting. I also had to ask 3 times for toast. I really think for the price of the hotel, a much better breakfast should be provided.

I would say, however, that the NYE party was really excellent. The food and service were top notch and it was a really fun night. I'd recommend it to anyone for next year.

All in all, I think the breakfast situation would put me off staying here again, but if you wanted to stay on a room only basis, this is a really lovely hotel and I would recommend it.

Excellent!!

by TripAdvisor Member Tubolard

Wife and I booked through a friend who was also staying at the hotel and I'm so glad we did. Staff were polite, friendly,helpful and had plenty of time for each customer even when there was a queue, and always smiling. We had a fourth floor spacious room with a superb view of Windsor Castle. The room was tastefully decorated, large plasma TV and a huge extremely comfortable bed which, if it had not been for the breakfast, I was loathed to vacate in the morning. The breakfast was quite something too. Full english for me and very tasty.Big thick pork sausages, (no supermarket bangers), bacon, black pudding, egg, tomatoes and plenty of tea and toast. If that is not your style or want there was also the continental option with a large variety of cereals, pastries and fruit juices. Overall we had an excelent stay my only regret it was for one night. Well worth a visit for a special occaision.

fantastic view

by TripAdvisor Member R.Dann

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights
fantastic view
Wonderfully helpful and friendly staff
We stayed on the 3rd floor which was not huge, needed a light in the wardrobe, but was very clean and it was amazing waking up in the morning, opening the curtains and seeing the castle on the other side of the road.
Lovely breakfast, plenty of choice.
Loads of bars, cafes and restaurants within very easy walking distance but be careful as prices vary greatly.
A pint of Carling lager cost £3.85 in one bar yet in the Carpenters Arms in Market Street it cost £2.40 - the food in this pub was very reasonably priced as well.
Another "must do" in Windsor is to feed the ducks and swans, great fun!!

Lovely hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Skidoodles

Had a lovely stay at this hotel this weekend. Newly refurbished to a very high standard, lovely room looking directly on to the castle, including a balcony from which we watched the Changing of The Guards from a great vantage point! Not sure I’d want to be that close to the Castle in the height of summer, or at least not if you wanted to sleep late! By 10am there were lots of tourist groups congregating outside of our bedroom window, waiting for the Changing of The Guards at 10:45.

Only other thing worth mentioning is that some visitors (particularly from US!) might find the beds much smaller than the hotel beds they are used to! That’s the only caveat though, so if you’re not a “stay in bed until lunchtime” kind of person, would definitely recommend for a luxurious stay in Windsor. We didn’t eat in the brasserie (just a drink in the bar), but the restaurant looked lovely, and the hotel is really central, with all sorts of pubs, cafes and restaurants within minutes of the front door.

Only other negative is expensive car parking. No car park at the hotel, so they directed us to a car park close by, which the receptionist told us was £15 for 24 hours. When we went back 22 hours later is was £25!! Apparently it costs more on a Saturday, which we weren’t told!

Don’t want to dwell too much on the negatives though – was very impressed by this lovely, central hotel.

Stylish and relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member Mark39London

From the moment we arrived we were able to relax and enjoy the service and class of this lovely hotel. We travel very frequently and this rates very highly as a great weekend break hotel. Our room was nicely decorated and finished with a great view of Winsdor Castle.

Comments