Mercure Castle Hotel Windsor

18 High St, (formerly Macdonald Castle), Windsor, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4 1LJ, United Kingdom

Mercure Windsor Castle Hotel
Travelocity Booking.com AMOMA.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• antistar's Profile Photo

The Castle Hotel

The location is perfect, the service tries to be good, but ends up being a little shambolic, and the rooms are less than perfect. For over 150 pounds a night I don't expect miracles, but I do expect things to function. As a business traveller there's one thing I absolutely need: an internet connection. The hotel offers the service, but my connection amounted to a bit of wire hanging from the wall and a network that was too overloaded to even be able to read my email. A small thing, maybe, but a major thing for me as this was the only thing I demanded of the room.

Other than that the room was nothing special for the price. I've stayed in much better hotels for a third of the price. But this is Windsor, and the hotel is located almost in the shadow of the Castle, so the price is not exceptional. Shame the same can be said about the rooms.

Oh, and there was also a smell of urine on the way to the breakfast room. Not nice.

Unique Quality: Location: near the castle.

• Tdiver's Profile Photo

Shouldn't it be Macdonalds.

Now called Macdonald Castle Hotel,Windsor.
    Never stayed here but have been to lots of functions and known lots of the staff.Now managed by Macdonalds hotels.Nice ambience about the bars.
    April 2006 prices for the restaurant
    2 course lunch $25,3 course $31 served 12-2.30 Sunday from 12.30
    2 course dinner $37,3 course $44 served 6.30-10.00

Directions: Opposite the Guildhall.

• easyoar's Profile Photo

Prime Location for Windsor

This hotel is about as good as you can get for Windsor if you want to be near the Castle. It is little more than a stones throw away.

This hotel has more normal rooms, but also has four-poster beds if you want a more romantic occasion.

I haven't actually stayed here as I live less than half an hour away by car, so it is a bit pointless really, but this does look a nice place!

Unique Quality: Four-poster beds, and possibly with a castle view too...

Directions: Just down from the castle (very close to the Guildhall)

More about Mercure Castle Hotel Windsor

Cant beat the location and value

by TripAdvisor Member B0

Got this place @ a steal for GBP40 by taking advantage of one of their offers. The hotel is right opposite the castle and merely a few minutes walk from the train station - just turn right as you get out of the station and walk straight down the main road, past the town hall. The rooms are warm and inviting with comfortable beds and decent sized bathrooms. We particularly liked the nice touch provided by paintings of Royals hanging on the walls. Furnishing is of good standard and I really enjoyed my stay there. Breakfast is good too. A bonus point is the coffee lounge at the lobby which allows you to watch the changing of the guard parade when it is wet and cold outside.

best location, great time

by TripAdvisor Member Finch-Hatton

Having just returned from a weekend at the Castle Hotel, i can honestly say the Hotell was nice, clean, the staff were friendly and efficient and the food in the resturant both at breakfast and dinner was great. The bar was nice, staff very helpful, nothing too much trouble

It was our 1st wedding aniversary and was a perfect location right on the high street.

I can thouroughly recommend this hotel if you are visiting windsor. park your car at the rear and then forget it as everything is right on the doorstep...very nice

Not worth the money.

by TripAdvisor Member antistar

Excellent stay.

by TripAdvisor Member BeakerTX

My wife and I recently stayed here one evening during a tour of England. We had a flawless stay. Parking was not a problem. The room was clean. The location was excellent, within walking distance of Windsor Castle and the shopping district.

Good Stay

by TripAdvisor Member BazzoKenilworth

Had a two night stay April 10th. Hotel changing owners on day we arrived. Now part of Mercure Group. Room overlooking High St very clean and spacious. Staff curtious and efficient. Good breakfast, staff were very efficient. Room rate pricy but very good location for Castle, shops & restaurants.

Fabulous location, excellent service

by TripAdvisor Member stanleychappie

This hotel has recently been taken over by the Mecure chain. The service and standard of rooms was excellent. On arrival in the busy car park, the attendant first welcomed me to the hotel and offered to park the car for me. The receptionists were very pleasant and helpful. Our rooms were not yet available so I left my baggage with the conceige. On my return to the hotel later in the afternoon I went to collect my bags from the conceige and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had taken my bags to my room for me already. The rooms were spotlessly clean and spacious, complete with a small 2-seater sofa, and even though we had one of the standard rooms we still had a pleasant view of the surrounding area. The breakfast was excellent, and the staff couldn't do enough to help and ensure we had a pleasant stay. I have stayed in many hotels of this quality at home and abroad and this was as you would expect, and better in terms of service, food and accommodation than an average 4* hotel. The location, right in the centre of Winsor, 2 minutes walk from Winsor Castle was superb also.

Very pleasant

by TripAdvisor Member 15may06

Mercure chain took over this hotel from the Macdonald chain recently. Was here on business and stayed 3 nights. Check in was pleasant and quick. Business facilities were good and up to a high standard. Only wired internet access in rooms available but this was free of charge. There was wireless access in other parts of the hotel. The restaurant food was high in standards and breakfast was similarly tasteful. The hotel was located very centrally in Windsor, being opposite the castle and offered free car parking to guests. One thing missing was on-site swimming pool and gym facilities.

Rooms were comfortable and luxurious. The room size was standard but on the small side if I had to complain about anything. Room service was timely but the smoked mackarel was not very pleasant. Best stick to the cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs! Airconditioning was present in the room and proved useful in the hot weather. The bathroom in my room was small but was bright and clean.

Overall, a very pleasant stay and I would recommend this hotel for a nice break in Windsor.

Comments