Thames St, Windsor, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL4 1PX, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Agoda.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

• Tdiver's Profile Photo

Nice location,high prices.

My friend always spends Christmas here and swears by it.Myself i can't see me paying so much.
    2006 prices in pounds.
    12 singles 165
    39 doubles/twin 220
    30 executive 246
    4 junior suites 274
    5 suites 300

Unique Quality: On the banks of the river Thames and overlooking Windsor bridge.
    Stroks restaurant in the hotel is very good.

Directions: Just before Windsor bridge.

More about Sir Christopher Wren's House Hotel

defrock this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member annwiddecombe

OK, you can't expect every hotel you stay in to be topnotch. But when you chuff up north of £200 it should at least function. This one doesn't. From the door security cards to the air conditioning to reception, nothing worked as it should. They didn't ask us to book a table for dinner - result, an argument and no table for dinner. On the hottest night of the year, the a/c simply let out steam. Opening the windows merely let in the assorted noise of Windsor's finest ASBO candidates - result 2 hours sleep. No cable tv. Charmless staff. Didn't bother with breakfast. I do the triathlon every year, but can't find a decent hotel in the area. Anyone got any ideas? Doesn't have to be fancy, just good. And please don't say the Oakley.

Excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Greenockian

Excellent hotel steeped in history and full of charm. I cannot beleive the comments of guests who have stayed there recently. The room was beautiful and clean, the staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. The bathroom a pleasure to use and towells white and freshly laundered. The hotel offers last minute deals on its own website which represent great value for money. Only minor complaint would be that on a room only package breakfast costs £11- £14 which is a bit steep. I look forward to returning to this hotel

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member Hetties-mum

Right by the river Thames, this is a pleasant old-fashioned hotel. The staff get friendlier when not so busy, and the service was fine. Norman who runs the conference side, is an absolute gem, he made everything run smoothly. I was there with a group of 30 and some had good rooms, some were very small and rather scruffy, it's the luck of the draw. I suspect the more you pay, the better the room. Overall it was a good choice and I'd go there again.

Friendly but no Interaction!

by TripAdvisor Member bobbiss

We have just returned from a two night stay at this Hotel. The Hotel has a good location, with a great view of the river from the restaurant. Our room was clean and tidy. We felt the bed to be a little on the small side. We were not told that you could unload luggage outside of the hotel, even when we rang them from a nearby car park for directions. So we had to park away from the hotel which was a pain especially with heavy bags in the rain! This was componded when we reached the hotel and were not offered any help carrying our bags to our room, which was a long distance from reception and up two flights of stairs and through several difficult doors. The staff were polite and efficient, but very few were that fluent in English and lacked genuine warmth. An enjoyable if not memorable stay

Very Poor

by TripAdvisor Member TravelersInStyle

Stayed 2 nights £200 per night B & B and what a rip off. The first room offerred was away from the main hotel, very small with low oak beams the second wasnt much better. If this was the executive room I would not like to think what the standard is like. No minibar, no AC that worked, No carpet on the floor only 2 lights out of 4 worked in the small basic bathroom. It was very nosiy and I didnt get much sleep.
This hotel is very overpriced (they charge extra £10 per day to park the car!) and the staff not particulary friendly. I would not recommend it and I would not stay there again. American tourists beware - I think it is overpriced because of the location in the centre of windsor.
Breakfast is very basic.

Waste of time!

by TripAdvisor Member Li2005

We stayed here a few weeks ago as a friend was getting married in Slough. I wish we hadn't bothered.

We booked via the website a weekend package in deluxe room. Although to begin with it started out well, the check-in was brief, we were lead to a tiny room on the top floor of the building opposite and it was not deluxe. It was a real pain having to walk so far from the car park in the rain and ice cold wind. In addition to this the receptionist wasn't au fait with the parking facilities in the station and as a result one of us had to schlep it in the cold at 8am to put more money in the meter. Nice.

We had dinner in the restaurant which was really quite good (as part of the package) but the booze was pretty extortionate for the range of wine that was on offer, nice view of the river though.

The rooms were incredibly noisy and we had a pretty shoddy view of a private car park. The breakfast was also pathetic considering the cost. When we finally left I was shocked at the final bill and unsurprisingly there was a glaring error with it that they are yet to resolve.

I will definitely not bother staying there again especially when there is nothing outstandingly good with it at the prices they charge. Very disappointed. Wish we had stayed in Slough!

Scruffy but clean

We stayed at the hotel for their Christmas party night. I would highly recommend the evening and the hotel was not bad as we had a discount and was £123 per night. I would say the food was lovely, the drinks nice, but slightly overpriced! The rooms were nice and cosy, but ours was scruffy, ripped wall paper and doors where the paint had been worn off in the corners. Could not fault the breakfast, again nice food, and atmosphere. A bit of a queue to be seated though. Would possibly stay here again although did think was a bit expensive. Was expecting slightly more because of the reputation and price.

Very Charming

I stayed here with my boyfiend for one night in March. Was very worried beforehand, having read such awful reviews on this website, however, I was very pleasantly suprised. The room was an executive double and we were not disappointed, a lovely Queen sized bed, with separate sitting area and a wonderful shower! I paid £102 online and think it was worth it. We were located opposite the main building of the hotel, so perhaps we were lucky with this room?! The only complaint would be that you could hear quite clearly people walking around upstairs and along the corridor which ran next to our room, but for one night, we don't feel this affected the enjoyment of our stay. The service was also very good, with a porter to take my bag and we felt very welcomed by all staff. I would stay here again, the location was excellent, but definitely look out for the reduced rates online. I think knowing you're getting a bargain adds to the satisfaction of your stay!

Sir Christopher Wren Hotel,Windsor.Sir Christopher Wren Hotel,Windsor.

Comments