Clifton Lodge Hotel

Booking.com Priceline.com AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about High Wycombe

High Wycombe street mapHigh Wycombe street map

Close-up of primroses in wilderness gardenClose-up of primroses in wilderness garden

Chiltern DownsChiltern Downs

Pumkin time is HalloweenPumkin time is Halloween

Travel Tips for High Wycombe

My birthday cake

by Elodie_Caroline

Yes, this is exactly what you think it is, it's a 'Sh!t cake'! My sister's husband, Simon, kindly made it for me for my 29th birthday. I did get a normal cake from him whilst we were in the pub, but when I went around to my sister's house the day after, this was awaiting for me. There is a story around this cake however.

One night; when I had gone out with some of my girlfrriends from the 'Nags head pub', we had all been drinking pints of beer and decided to go for a curry at the local Indian afterwards. We ended up only paying half of the bill, as the meal was quite awful and then we done a runner. When I got home, my stomach felt really bad, I was dying to go to the toilet, but knew I wouldn't make it up the hallway to do it on time. I had a bucket in my room that I used as a litter bin, I always kept a carrier bag in it, so as to not make the bucket dirty. So I squatted down on the bucket and did what I had to do, it looked just like a Cow pat and it was nestled in a 'Tesco' carrier bag of all things.
I'm not a one to keep quiet about things like this, so since then, my family and friends have had the greatest delight in laughing about me sh!tting into Tesco carrier bags.

Santa at Hannibal School

by Elodie_Caroline

In 1991 we went to a school Christmas Bazaar at my sister's kids, Shane and Miranda's school. The rage of toy Trolls was back in fashion again at this time, it was like that back in the early 1970s, when I was at school too. All of the little kids were coming out of Sanata's Grotto with small plastic toy trolls. I wanted one too! So I gave the lady the 20 pence and went in to see Santa. Santa looked rather pleasantly surprised to see this young blonde woman standing there in front of him. Hey asked me what I wanted for Christmas, so I told him, truthfully of course, that i wanted a Troll. He gave me my toy Troll whilst he was laughing his head off. My husband said that I sat on Santa's knee for it, I wasn't p!ssed at the time, but I don't remember doing that bit... maybe I did though?

Play BASKETBALL

by taryn_treloar

This was one of the best decisions that I made while I was in England. Joining a Basketball club. I met so many great people and had lots of incredible times. The competition was really good as well seeing as most of the ladies playing were late 20's to late 30's.....

Many a good time had! This picture was at a tournament that we went to in Caister.....

Read more about that in another tip!

So join a team if you're in england for an extended period of time!

Boneyard

by Rosie-o

The High Wycombe Cemetary, at the end of Shrubbery Rd (off Amersham Hill) is a peaceful place to chill out and relax. It is built on a slope and from the top you can see the whole of Wycombe (not so pretty), otherwise it is just an interesting place to wander around. Also a good shortcut from town to the top of Amersham Hill.

High Wycombe, England

by cindy2009

"International Poetry Conference"

I spent a week in this lovely old furniture making town about an hour west of London with the United Poets Laureate International group, about 50 strong. Our base was the local community college which provided our dorm rooms and meals. Poetry readings every day, and I danced with our Poetic Dance Theater Co. and even brought along my 9 yr old son to dance with us also! Memorable side trips were to London (with museum, meal and play), Stratford-on-Avon, Milton's Cottage, Legoland, Disraeli's home just outside town, and Blenheim Palace-home of Winston Churchhill. It was my first time to travel with this group to a poetry congress overseas, and it was really exciting to meet poets from all over the world there.

Afterwards, I travelled with 4 of the group to Paris by train to explore the City of Lights for a week and was invited to perform poetry dance at the American French Academy in Paris.

Comments