Milton Keynes Hotels

• Sininen profile photo Sininen
  • Reviews: 727

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

BRADWELL YOUTH HOSTEL: PLEASANT STAY IN MILTON KEYNES

I saw that there are mainly negative comments about Milton Keynes here, so I decided to write somethign about our stay in the youth hostel in MK back in 1998. "We took a taxi to the youth hostel in Birmingham only to find out that there wasn't one anymore! We walked back to the railway station and saw the tourist information and went there. The ladies told us that there indeed wasn't a youth hostel in Birmingham anymore, but suggested that we'd go to YWCA instead. It was twice as expensive, so we told them that we'd rather continue our way to Bradwell YH in Milton Keynes. The lady was so kind that she phoned there and reserved us beds there, phoned to the railway station to check the time tables and didn't charge us anything! The youth hostel closed its doors at 22.30 and we had enough time to get there in time. As we walked to the railway station we heard somebody ask: "Are you from Finland?". It was a young Finnish woman, who studies in Birmingham and she was eager to speak Finnish with us. She asked if we had seen much of Birmingham and we told her that this was all we'd seen meaning the square we were in. She said that it was the best of the city and the rest was much more boring. I've always thought that Birmingham is a dull city, but if that was all it must be even duller than I've ever thought! We had some time left so we had hamburgers and French fries at McDonald's as we hadn't eaten anything for hours.

The train was late and were beginning to wonder if we made it to the youth hostel. We had to take a taxi there and we made it, though only slightly. The young man was really nice there and told that there was only one man staying in the hostel at that moment and I told him that hopefully not in our room! He said that there aren't often Finnish tourists there, but we were the second ones this year. Though we hadn't done anything that day we were so tired that we wanted to go to bed right away. To my surprise Ulla fell asleep before me! I can't recall such thing happening to me ever before!

The hostel was very tidy and very well equipped and we told it to the warden in the morning when we paid for another night. He said that they had been making a lot of changes there and that the next one was to make shower rooms and toilets larger. It may sound small to you but very often there aren't simple things like hooks in the bathrooms and nowhere to leave your towel and clothes. In Bradwell YH there were lots of them and even a table with chairs. Also there were separate rooms for cooking, washing the dishes and eating!"

I will try and find some photos too! I know I took some there. We were never actually in the city and kept MK as a base to do the shopping in London and flying home.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive

• Susi_Blackforest profile photo Susi_Blackforest
  • Reviews: 86

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Olde Manse B&B: Small, traditional and friendly

If you prefer traditional, british, affordable accommodation - look no further.
This B&B is at one of the nicest villages around Milton Keynes in Stony Stratford, shops and the many restaurants can easily be reached on foot.
All rooms are en suite, have TV, tea and coffee facilities, hair dryer, iron and board.
It is slightly set back from the road.

When you look for it, find the pet shop at the high street in Stony Stratford, go through the black iron gate on the left of the shop and you will find the B&B.

I like the fact that the house has character and I love the exposed wooden beams on the cealings.

In the summer you can use the outside pool or sit in the pretty garden.

This B&B is only a 10 minute car drive away from the city centre.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Women's Travel, Road Trip
  • Written March 29, 2005

• l-e-z-ah profile photo l-e-z-ah
  • Reviews: 25

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Travel Inn: Very nice hotel, great location, reasonable price

The Inn is located right at the center of the city, between the shopping center and Xcape. It's not a big one, but the hospitality of the staff and the comfort of the rooms certainly make up for that..... the only thing is that they do not have many channels on the television and that the amount of towels, and the instant coffee and tea seemed to decreased after my second day of stay...

• Opinion of Price: about average