Chesterton Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB4 3AN, United Kingdom

Priceline.com Booking.com Agoda.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Worse service in Cambridge

I made reservations with Arundel/Ashley Hotel on March 13, 2010, and they were not honored. I called to confirm the reservations a couple of days before my parents' arriving to Cambridge and was told that the reservations were cancelled. I personnally booked the rooms, in person, at Ashley Hotel, was given a print out of the reservations, and it was written on the reservations that my parents would be staying in rooms 8 and 9. I offered to give a credit card, and was EXPRESSLY told that the hotel did not need one and that my parents could pay upon arrival - those words were actually spoken by the employee at the Hotel ! Yet when I called to reconfirm that everything was ok, as I always do, a couple of days prior to my parent's arrival, I was told that they had NO reservations because no credit card number was given !!!!! When I was expressly told that they did not need to take my credit card. In addition, the employee DID NOT indicate that I needed to call back to reconfirm with a credit card since exactly the opposite was said to me when I offered to give a credit card number upon reservations in March ! I made sure to book a hotel in March, that is 3 months prior to the date of the reservation, to make sure that I had these rooms. This is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE, and to make things worse, the manager or staff that called me back today, June 19, 2010 hung up on me !!!

• Loops's Profile Photo

Expensive and pokey

we stayed for two nights when we got married at the Cambridge Registry office. It was OK but hardly romantic. it was over UK 100 per night for the two of us and all we got was a pokey little room with a tiny shower/toilet room attached - not exactly luxury.

but there you go - Cambridge prices for you!

It's a good location though with Jesus Green just opposite and you can easily walk into the centre and see the colleges, shops and have a pub crawl or whatever you want to do, so you can go out and about and not have to worry about transport home again (which is also expensive in Cambridge).

We used to live in Cambridge so it was no accident that we chose the Arundel - for being near the river and north of the centre, it's a good choice.

• vec's Profile Photo

Into the fire

The Arundel House Hotel is a really nice, but expensive hotel. Unfortunately not located in the real centre of Cambridge. The breakfast is though something of the best I have ever had on a hotel.

The first night was though a bit of adventure. Around 11.30 PM I was about to go to bed, then the fire alarm bells started sounding. I started to get dressed and when I opened the door a man from the staff was running through the hall shouting that everyone should go out on the car park outside the building. Out on the car park a lot of people were already standing freezing, many just in their pyjamas.

Since it was a February night with temperatures around zero degrees centigrade, a girl from the staff told us to go into a smaller building (The Coach House) on the other side of the car park. By then the fire brigade had arrived and we could see through the windows how they were searching through the rooms. After maybe 10 minutes someone who looked like the hotel manager came running over the car park and went in through a door in the same building as we were standing. Then some of us went out, and then we noticed, there were coming smoke from the window above us!!!

That's must be a good idea when the fire alarm sounds. Evacuate all guests and place them in the same building as the fire.

Well, when the smoke was located we could go back to our rooms, and the fire brigade could finally do their job.

But the sleep was disturbed one more time that night. Around 2 AM the fire bells started sounding again. So it was just to go out on the car park again. After waiting there for around 20 minutes we could go back to the rooms again. This time it was a broken water pipe in the same room as last time that had trigged the alarm.

Unique Quality: The breakfast is just great!

Comments