138 Perne Road, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1 3NX, United Kingdom

River CamRiver Cam

Frontage At The Corner of King StreetFrontage At The Corner of King Street

Varsity RestaurantVarsity Restaurant

Kings' College - Gate houseKings' College - Gate house

Heathrow Airport to Cambridge?

by AcornMan

I arrive at Heathrow at 5:55 am on July 27, and I have just two nights before I fly out of Heathrow again, at 11:05 am on the 29th. Rather than trying to cram in London in two days, I'd prefer to skip London altogether and just go to Cambridge if possible.

First, is there an easy way to get from London's Heathrow Airport to Cambridge? If so, how? And will I be able to do it that early in the morning? Also, will I be able to leave Cambridge early enough on the 29th to get to Heathrow in time for my 11:05 flight? I need to check in two hours early.

RE: Heathrow Airport to Cambridge?

by Crazybrab

Avoid travelling through London to get to Cambridge as this would complicate things. Buses to Cambridge go direct from Heathrow airport bus station every half hour.
See: http://www.nationalexpress.com/bp/b2.cfm?id=54051058
And for the return journey to Heathrow, see:

Journey ime is aprox 2h45mins. Standard fare is £32.00 - dont worry, no need to buy in advance - just buy at station when you arrive.

Have a good trip!

RE: Heathrow Airport to Cambridge?

by leics

You could, if you prefer, go by train. This will takes less time than the coach, and will mean changing in London. www.nationalrail.co.uk for timetables and fares.

You may well be tavelling during the rush hour on both journeys and certainly on the way back. Do allow plenty of extra time, eapecially if using the coach as traffic can be very congested on the M25. Better to arrive early at the airport, I think. This factor may affect your choice of transport.

There is no reason why you should not use coach for one journey and train for another.

RE: RE: Heathrow Airport to Cambridge?

by Spincat

Hello AcornMan -
Good advice from both posters above.
Yes - a good and reliable train service to Cambridge; coach service also good.. and direct, as advised, but at the times of day you describe there are risks of running into heavy traffic.

Oxford an easier journey from Heathrow in my opinion, with a very good coach connection (my dad lives in Oxford and my brother just outside Cambridge so I do a bit of travelling round both parts). But it sounds like you've decided whihc University town to see.

RE: RE: Heathrow Airport to Cambridge?

by leics

Agree about Oxford being considerably easier.....it's the same side of London, as it were. Journey times and costs will be less (although traffic comment still applies).

Travel Tips for Cambridge

Have fun and try punting!

by Travelchili

Do you know what a punt is? I didn't when I went to Cambridge, but now I do and I am glad to tell you, too:) A punt is a flat bottomed boat. There are smaller and bigger punts - smaller holding four people and larger up to eight, i think. While people sit, one person stands at the rear end and pushes the punt along using a pole. It may sound a lot easier than it actually is, but don't hesitate and give it a try!!! You can hire a punt yourself and have fun trying:) or you can have a chauffeur who is experienced punter and will tell you all kinds of stories of different colleges that you will along the riverside during your journey!

Boot Scrapers

by christine.j

Down at street level, I often saw small nooks or holes with a metal bar in front of them and I had no idea what they were. So I did what any good VTer would do, I asked in the forum. VT members Manara and Tango jd soon told me they were boot scrapers. So it's not the hole which is the important part, but the metal scraper.
From VT member Leics I learned that they were only on old houses, as the usage stopped in Victorian/Edwardian times.

I will look out for them in other towns in England now, I'm sure I'll see some more.

Waterbeach

by christine.j

My son and I went on a very nice bicycle tour along the Cam to Waterbeach. On the way out of Cambridge, there is a bike lane, later this is shared with walkers. It was a beautiful ride, watching the boats on the Cam, passing the lock , going through a very green area to Waterbeach.
From what I saw this is a very small place, very quiet when we were there in early afternoon.
We didn't ride very fast, as I wanted to enjoy the scenery, but we didn't need more than 30 minutes. It takes longer to get out of Cambridge than to ride on the path to Waterbeach.

It's about 8 km from Cambridge, on the trainline to Ely, so in case of bad weather we'd have taken the train to go there.

Important store for confidence tricksters

by sourbugger about Ryder & Amies

Ryder and Amies bills itself as "Tie, scraf & Robe makers. University , Clerical & legal outfitters"

Many shops sell 'general' university merchandise with Cambridge university symbols adorning t-shirts, caps, sweatshirts and the like. These items are very popular with visitors.

If you are looking for something a bit more exclusive, then this store sells the individual ties of each of the colleges.

I was rather surprised to learn that these are available to everyone. So if you need to pass yourself off as a 'Cambridge Old boy' then this is your place. I don't think, however, that it cuts the ice it once did in the Boardroom and you always run the risk of running into the real thing.

Make way for these!!

by nhcram

Not sure who has right of way in Cambridge but I never argued with a cycle if it came toward me! They are everywhere and whilst there is an absence of cars the humble bike is the ideal way to get round the city.

Comments