Crowne Plaza Cambridge

Downing Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2 3DT, United Kingdom

Cambridge City Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 50% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• Perfect location, but lacking elsewhere

had booked this hotel expecting the usual standard of other Crowne Plaza hotels, but was grossly disappointed.

When I arrived, the 'Master Suite' I had booked had been given to somebody else (I arrived at 1pm) so I was given a 'Studio Suite' instead, which I was assured was almost identical. No effort was made to rectify the problem. I had booked the room with loyalty points, so it was clear that I was a regular Crowne Plaza customer, and deserve to be treated better if such loyalty is to be maintained. The only explanation offered was that I must have changed the booking myself, which simply was not the case.

Having got off on the wrong foot, I was pleasantly surprised upon stepping inside my room - it was spacious and recently refurbished, with two TVs (25" LCD in bedroom and 14" in sitting room) and a King bed. There was a large, separate sitting room. The Air Conditioning worked perfectly. There was a huge hospitality tray, including 4 free litre bottles of mineral water and a tin of Cambridge shortbread. There was also a handwritten welcome from the manager and a handmade Christmas card.

This comfort was entirely superficial however. There was nothing in the bathroom - not even toilet paper. It took three separate calls to housekeeping to get everything brought up. It transpired that they had run out of shower gel and shampoo and had no alternative suggestions. They couldn't even tell me where the local shop was to buy some. The jaccuzzi bath didn't work. The shower pressure was excellent and the temperature control was perfect.
    Back in the bedroom, the television wasn't working - only BBC 1, 2 and CNN worked. I went down to reception to enquire but was simply told "but they must be working". No further effort was made to look into my problem, despite my insistence. As the night became increasingly hellish, I grew increasingly glad that I had only paid points for this stay.

Unique Quality: I went for a brief walk in the evening to find somewhere to eat - all the usual Nando's, Zizzi's, Pizza Hut etc. are within two minutes of the hotel. The area feels safe and there are plenty of other people around. It is very well lit at night. Cambridge is deceptively small - and this hotel is nothing if not perfectly located - the shopping streets and tourist sites are a pleasurable stroll from the hotel. The city is cobbled in some places, but mostly paved. My travelling companion doesn't smoke, and we couldn't find anywhere with a non-smoking section so we returned to the hotel to eat. The service was efficient and the food was fine - expensive and nothing special. The menu is a single-sided A4 page. Our two steaks, one beer and one tap-water, with starters came to £50.

Despite what other reviewers have said, we weren't disturbed by building noise, but then we were in an inward-facing room. We went to bed early, the person I was travelling with had an early start for an interview. The concierge gracoiusly booked us a taxi (we didn't know how to our destination), which arrived promptly. Much of central Cambridge is a 'Restricted Access Zone' meaning that only Taxis and Busses can use it, so bear that in mind if you intend on driving somewhere at peak times.

I was glad that I hadn't paid £365 for the night, as some guests had. The only internet access in the hotel is £3 for 30 minutes, but is fast and included the use of a printer (black and white laser). The level of english (language) among staff was always excellent, although not all reviewers seem to have thought that.

I certainly did enjoy my time in Cambridge, and it is a very beatiful and interesting city indeed, but when I return I will stay anywhere but the Crowne Plaza.

• eliowny's Profile Photo

Luxury, if you can afford it

Four stars, right in the center of Cambridge .. you can't get much better than this. And you pay for it. But, the rooms are huge, the bathrooms are huge, and the breakfast is huge. In addition, the reception desk is amoung the friendliest and most helpful I have ever encountered. I booked a room here as a gift for my parents, had a lot of complicated requirements, and the people I dealt with were completely wonderful and helpful.
    Note that, because this is primarily a buisness hotel, you can get some steals at the weekend. But beware that, unless you get one of these weekend deals, breakfast is normally NOT INCLUDED (unheard of for England), and it comes in at a whopping 12 quid! On the other hand, they aren't to strict about watching who comes in -- I managed to sneak in with my parents and had the breakfast of my life --- for free!

• steventilly's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn

Over 120 pounds for a double room per night at weekends, more during the week. Newspaper offers can get you 2 nights for that price at weekends. If you see these offers, snap them up! Breakfast 11 pounds.

(Pic from Holiday Inn brochure)

Unique Quality: Very good standard of hotel close to the city centre.

More about Crowne Plaza Cambridge

Central but overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member Traedmawr

I've stayed at this hotel many times, and it has three virtues - it is central, it has on-site parking at a reasonable price, and the breakfast is superb.

The staff are fine, but the rooms are looking a bit tired, and dinner/drinks etc are very expensive. There are sometimes good deals to be had here, but central Cambridge really does not deliver what travellers now expect from hotels. I've stayed in lots of other Cambridge hotels, and this is about as good as it gets for the money in this awfully overpriced town.

The hotel is also on the edge of a huge construction site at present, though the banging and drilling does stop at a fairly reasonable time - but sometimes the approach road to the hotel is closed, and I've seen traffic directed the wrong way up the one-way street. The other noise related disadvantage is that there is an "Irish theme bar" downstairs, and the noise from there can be worse that the building site - and a few yards down the street is another especially noisy/rowdy pub.

I'd stay in the Garden Moat House if I could afford it, but they have far less enticing deals, and the University Arms (also very expensive)does not live up to its hype.

If you stay a few miles out you get much better deals.

Great Location & Service

by TripAdvisor Member cbajohn

I found the location to be tops as its central to a great walking city and taxis and buses are easily accessable. Room were adequete and clean with all essentials. Bed OK, but should be more firm. Found the staff, especially the restaurant and bar personnel to very professional and friendly. Look forward to staying again.

Pleasant, well located business hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Fritch

I almost didn't book this hotel based on the last review but I just returned and it was an above average hotel. Very helpful people - directions, dinner reservations, getting cabs. This is my first trip back to the UK in a long time but relative to my US and Asia travels, I was very happy with the hotel and it's location.

Wonderful Hotel and no competition!

by TripAdvisor Member onthetrail

I have stayed numerous times at this hotel and have never been disappointed. The reception staff are always helpful and have always returned any queries I have had, as is the bar staff and room service. The rooms are a good size, especially if you choose the '2 double beds' rate and the breakfast is one of the best hotel breakfasts I have experienced in the UK. When you live outside the UK, you tend to appreciate black pudding, especially when you are in the south of England! I have two loyalty programs running as I am a frequent traveller. The Priority Club program is by far the superior and whenever I get the opportunity, I opt for it. I have yet to be disappointed by the service from CCP. Yes there was building work going on during my last stay but I never heard a thing. I have stayed at other hotels in the region (Cambridge Moat House - OK as a business hotel but way out of town and 15 quid in a taxi every time I needed to come into town, which was twice a day) and CCP has it every time - location, efficient and friendly staff and more than adequate rooms if you pick the right rate. An excellent hotel in a city that has so much to offer, except excellent hotels, besides this one.

Expensive Hotel -- little value

After this past trip -- felt compelled to enter this.

This hotel is highly overpriced for the value, but the location is good for Cambridge access. Nonetheless -- the food is fair (and just fair), but extremely overpriced also. The rooms were bland and the staff was unfriendly.

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions and the staff is never the same. I asked privately -- there's a high turnover due to lousy management. It shows.

Not much else in Cambridge, tho.

Fantastic!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member LincolnshireDawn

Four of us stayed at this Hotel on Saturday 11/02/06. We booked directly with the hotel via the internet and got the best rates.

We had notified the Hotel that we would be arriving at lunch time and we would like to leave our bags at the Hotel while we went shopping and our rooms were ready. We actually arrived at the Hotel at 11am and both rooms were ready and we were allowed to check in early. Check in is usually 2pm.

We both stayed in a Superior double room with a fantastic discount. The rooms were clean,spacious and well equipped. No complaints at all. The bathrobes and slippers were an added bonus.

The Hotel is in the City Centre. It cost £5.00 to get from the railway station to the Hotel and everything else is within walking distance. The Grafton centre is a 10 minute walk. One day is definitely not long enough to get round all the shops.

None of us felt that the Hotel was overpriced considering it is a 4 star Hotel. Why is that some of the reviewers believe that you can have the quality without paying for it??????

Everything about our stay was excellent. The Bloomsbury Bar and Restaurant offer a varied choice of food and drinks. The Breakfast was delicious. Lots to choose from and in very comfortable surroundings and can be taken from 7am until 11am.

If you fancy a change, walk through the door and go into Quinns the Irish Bar. Plenty of sport and Guiness for the men!!!!

If I could quibble about anything it would be that the rooms were very warm and the cold air from the fan is not that cold.

If you want to stay in a very nice Hotel near to shops, bars and restaurants and dont expect to pay 2 Star prices then the Crowne Plaza is for you.

I am very fussy and always stay in 4 and 5 star Hotels and this definitelty deserves its 4 stars.

The final advantage is that you don't have to check out until 1pm.

Well done all and keep up the good work!!! We will be returning sooner than expected.

No heating/cooling

by TripAdvisor Member 911CarreraS

We stayed here on Valentines weekend, I had read the previous complaints about non working Air Con but wasn't too concerned as we were visiting in February. I did not realise that the heating does not work either.

There was a sophisticated control panel which looked promising, but it's only apparent function was to adjust the amount of noise being generated. No amount of proding could generate any heat.

We had two double beds in the room, one was quite comfy, the other felt soft and worn out.

There is a new shopping center being built along one side of the hotel, work on this is due to continue until 2008 and includes very loud work on Saturdays. We complained to reception and they moved us to the other side of the hotel.

On a more positive note,

the breakfast was excellent and served up to 11.30am and was super.

the location was spot on. Very central.

Comments