Crowne Plaza Cambridge

See Same Stars, Better Value Hotels

Tags

Business Travel
See Amenities

Perfect location, but lacking elsewhere

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 3, 2007

had booked this hotel expecting the usual standard of other Crowne Plaza hotels, but was grossly disappointed.

When I arrived, the 'Master Suite' I had booked had been given to somebody else (I arrived at 1pm) so I was given a 'Studio Suite' instead, which I was assured was almost identical. No effort was made to rectify the problem. I had booked the room with loyalty points, so it was clear that I was a regular Crowne Plaza customer, and deserve to be treated better if such loyalty is to be maintained. The only explanation offered was that I must have changed the booking myself, which simply was not the case.

Having got off on the wrong foot, I was pleasantly surprised upon stepping inside my room - it was spacious and recently refurbished, with two TVs (25" LCD in bedroom and 14" in sitting room) and a King bed. There was a large, separate sitting room. The Air Conditioning worked perfectly. There was a huge hospitality tray, including 4 free litre bottles of mineral water and a tin of Cambridge shortbread. There was also a handwritten welcome from the manager and a handmade Christmas card.

This comfort was entirely superficial however. There was nothing in the bathroom - not even toilet paper. It took three separate calls to housekeeping to get everything brought up. It transpired that they had run out of shower gel and shampoo and had no alternative suggestions. They couldn't even tell me where the local shop was to buy some. The jaccuzzi bath didn't work. The shower pressure was excellent and the temperature control was perfect.
Back in the bedroom, the television wasn't working - only BBC 1, 2 and CNN worked. I went down to reception to enquire but was simply told "but they must be working". No further effort was made to look into my problem, despite my insistence. As the night became increasingly hellish, I grew increasingly glad that I had only paid points for this stay.

Unique Quality: I went for a brief walk in the evening to find somewhere to eat - all the usual Nando's, Zizzi's, Pizza Hut etc. are within two minutes of the hotel. The area feels safe and there are plenty of other people around. It is very well lit at night. Cambridge is deceptively small - and this hotel is nothing if not perfectly located - the shopping streets and tourist sites are a pleasurable stroll from the hotel. The city is cobbled in some places, but mostly paved. My travelling companion doesn't smoke, and we couldn't find anywhere with a non-smoking section so we returned to the hotel to eat. The service was efficient and the food was fine - expensive and nothing special. The menu is a single-sided A4 page. Our two steaks, one beer and one tap-water, with starters came to £50.

Despite what other reviewers have said, we weren't disturbed by building noise, but then we were in an inward-facing room. We went to bed early, the person I was travelling with had an early start for an interview. The concierge gracoiusly booked us a taxi (we didn't know how to our destination), which arrived promptly. Much of central Cambridge is a 'Restricted Access Zone' meaning that only Taxis and Busses can use it, so bear that in mind if you intend on driving somewhere at peak times.

I was glad that I hadn't paid £365 for the night, as some guests had. The only internet access in the hotel is £3 for 30 minutes, but is fast and included the use of a printer (black and white laser). The level of english (language) among staff was always excellent, although not all reviewers seem to have thought that.

I certainly did enjoy my time in Cambridge, and it is a very beatiful and interesting city indeed, but when I return I will stay anywhere but the Crowne Plaza.

eliowny's Profile Photo

Luxury, if you can afford it

by written on July 7, 2003

Four stars, right in the center of Cambridge .. you can't get much better than this. And you pay for it. But, the rooms are huge, the bathrooms are huge, and the breakfast is huge. In addition, the reception desk is amoung the friendliest and most helpful I have ever encountered. I booked a room here as a gift for my parents, had a lot of complicated requirements, and the people I dealt with were completely wonderful and helpful.
Note that, because this is primarily a buisness hotel, you can get some steals at the weekend. But beware that, unless you get one of these weekend deals, breakfast is normally NOT INCLUDED (unheard of for England), and it comes in at a whopping 12 quid! On the other hand, they aren't to strict about watching who comes in -- I managed to sneak in with my parents and had the breakfast of my life --- for free!

steventilly's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn

by written on September 2, 2002

Over 120 pounds for a double room per night at weekends, more during the week. Newspaper offers can get you 2 nights for that price at weekends. If you see these offers, snap them up! Breakfast 11 pounds.

(Pic from Holiday Inn brochure)

Unique Quality: Very good standard of hotel close to the city centre.

Nearby Crowne Plaza Cambridge

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Cambridge Travel Forum

Need advice about Cambridge, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for Cambridge and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cambridge hotel reviews

Cambridge Youth Hostel
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
De Vere University Arms Hotel
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Travelodge Cambridge Fourwentways
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Premier Inn Cambridge (A14 J32)
Acorn Guest House

Go on a safari
Slightly disappointing
Left luggage
Favorites
Mooching about in the museum
Things to Do
Longest busway in the world
Good value wholesome food
Most wonderful singing
Discovering new artists
Things to Do
Its a must see thing in the World
Beautiful Little City
Walk the Streets
Things to Do
Cambridge's Best Pub (from a student and regular)
Restaurants
All the food is brown...