Hotel du Vin Cambridge

Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Hotel du Vin Cambridge

Hotel du Vin, Cambridge

by Gyppo about Hotel du Vin

The Hotel du Vin bistro is slightly out of the way, and too expensive to eat at regularly (for me, anyway), but worth a visit. It's part of a small chain of upmarket restaurants. The staff are cosmopolitan, and know their wines. The food was served in fairly small portions, which probably didn't represent great value for money, but which were pretty well flavoured. The bar downstairs is an old (and still used) wine cellar. This was the most expensive meal I've had, at nearly £100, however that was for 4 courses with wine, cocktails and a digestif. I'd recommend Hotel du Vin for a special occasion. I understand you can have afternoon tea there too.

Pic to follow. I enjoyed the cheese souffle with red onions.

Great hotel in great location

by TripAdvisor Member xmapjoen

This is a great hotel in a great location - 15 minutes walk from the train station, 10 minutes walk from King's College and bang opposite the world famous Fitzwilliam Museum. Cambridge has been crying out for a really good hotel for years and Hotel du Vin delivers in spades. We go to Cambridge a lot and this was our third visit to the hotel since it opened six months ago.

Hotel du Vin Cambridge is one of the newest members of this boutique chain of hotel and shares the best of the rest of these hotels:
- quirky and interesting building
- chic and modern bedrooms with wide screen tvs, dvd player and selection of dvds, Bose ipod station
- great bathrooms, seperate shower with all the towels and toiletries you need
- large and comfy beds, first rate bed linens
- first rate restaurant

The only downside, and it's a potentially big one and it is going to get worse, is that the hotel is a victim of its own success and the public spaces are swamped by non residents. There is only one small lounge and when we were there it was firstly dominated by wedding party planning, and in the early evening hotel guests were completely excluded as it was being used for a private party.

Likewise the Bistro is very, very popular with the Cambridge crowd, and my tip is to make a dinner reservation at the time of boooking your room you may find it hard to get a table.(even if you're not sure of your plans book the Bistro as you can always change your mind later on). As it was it was like being in a London restaurant as we were hustled off our table so they could get a second dinner setting. Not very relaxing.

Supremely Elegant

by TripAdvisor Member unspecified

This is a small hotel in Cambridge, situated in an old but fairly nondescript row of buildings on Trumpington Street, not far from the centre and very close to many attractions.

Inside, the whole building oozes quality. Staff attitudes are very friendly, decor is incredibly smart. The rooms are decked out to immaculate quality, with large beds, good storage space, usable work desk, and relaxing seating available.

So why only four stars? Well, the bathroom had a few practicality issues (very few accessible surfaces for storing things, inconvenient shower, etc), there was no clock in the room, and the room was fairly noisy facing onto the street. But those are only small niggles - but niggles that are noticeable if you're paying the typical room rates at this hotel.

Nevertheless, there is no denying this is a quite exceptionally high quality hotel, providing a stunning environment for a stay in the beautiful city of Cambridge. Don't turn down the opportunity to stay here!

One night was too short a stay

by TripAdvisor Member MelroseSeven

Just returned from an all too brief half term break in Cambridge. Selected the Hotel du vin after reading the reviews on this site and we weren't dissapointed.

Arrived before the official check in time to find the room was available - after being given a brief guide to the hotel's facilities (Library, Cellar Bar, Bistro) were led up two flights of stairs to our quirky but comfortable studio room, heating going full blast (had to throw open the windows to let in some cool air (and some street noise although not too bad).

After a wander around town (visiting most of the colleges where we could stroll about the grounds and a few pubs down on the Cam) we returned to make use of the huge free standing bath before venturing down to the excellent cellar bar and to the lively bistro restaurant. Service was friendly and efficient (even though they were very busy) - food was above average - tea and coffee served in the library was a nice touch.

Supremely comfortable bed - excellent breakfast (normally hotel breakfasts are expensive for what they are but this even at £13.50 per head I felt was reasonably good value).

A quality hotel - a real find in fact - a pity that a lot of other hotels don't offer the same or similar level of service.

Utter Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member Charlielikesluxury

My partner and I stayed here in January as a special surprise for him and boy! what a surprise. I had been in 2 minds as I was booking solely from the internet - but I am SO glad I took the plunge. It may have been a little more expensive than some other top-end hotels Ive stayed in but it was a world ahead in quality.

On arrival, the car was valet parked (Id previously booked a space thankfully) and they were even kind enough to retrieve my mobile after I discovered it had been parked too! The room wasnt ready as we were early but they pulled out all the stops and and it soon was. "Hush Heath" must be the most luxurious room Ive stayed in and I like my luxury! The double walk through monsoon shower and roll top bath were in the open plan suite and the underfloor heating was blissful. TV and DVD player of course as well as the comfiest sofa and delicious goodies to nibble while watching were the icing on the cake. The view from the window wasnt that great, but we werent there for the view !

We had pre-booked a dining & room package but they even offered us the chance to pick from the Al A Carte menu if the set menu wasnt to our taste.

The service from start to finish was exemplary, even loading the car for us on our departure without being asked. The staff , without exception, are all superb and made us feel that we were the only guests. My only regret is that I dont have an excuse to stay again anytime soon!

Coasting on its reputation with overpriced, small, noisy rooms

by TripAdvisor Member victoriasponge

We originally only wanted to stay on the Saturday night ,after a dinner at our daughter's college, but their weekend policy meant we had to book for 2 nights, which meant that our 'well it's only £140 a night' turned the whole thing into a £460 extravaganza for two nights in very cramped and stuffy standard room overlooking the street.

Breakfast is not included and is a minimum of £9.50 per person, even if you just want tea and toast. A couple of drinks each at the bar came to about £45 with tip!

The room was so cramped that my husband twice bashed his shin (until it bled) on the bed because you could barely squeeze between the bed and the desk, where you had to sit at an angle. The bathroom was good quality, although you'd bang your hip on the doorhandle because the door wouldn't open wide enough to get in with the towels on the towel rails. The beds are only queen or king sized - smaller than at home - and the heating/ventilation system was impossible to get right and the room was hot and stuffy all night, even with the windows ajar....which let in the unbearable noise of the council lamppost mending crane which was right outside the window at 7.00am Sunday morning for 45 minutes! That might not have been the hotel's fault, but we felt they could have done more to make amends than just say 'oh sorry, they normally tell us in advance' (what, so they can warn their guests to set an alarm to put ear plugs in??).

We booked a few months ago and were warned to book a car parking space (oh yes, that's another £15 night) but they didn't tell us to book for dinner too and the restaurant was completely full - although having had an unexceptional lunch at the price here a couple of months, that maybe wasn't quite such a bad thing. We stayed in the Winchester and Tunbridge Wells HduVs a few years ago. The original Winchester hotel really did seem like great value with lovely garden rooms and incredible beds, linens and bathrooms, but the T.Wells one was a bit of a let down after that and now we've had enough. The whole place gives off a feel of a hotel chain that feels it has done enough to establish itself and can now just coast by, ripping people off here and there and never really delivering an experience that rises above the average. We need to come back for Graduation Day in June, but it certainly won't be here because we feel we're not going to fall for HduV's particular brand of rip off ever again.

Great with a few rough edges

by TripAdvisor Member DaveH-ExPat

The Hotel du Van is a new luxury hotel, centrally located next to the Judge Business School in Cambridge and a convenient walk from the historic colleges and shopping areas. There is direct access from the M11 along Huntington Road, but street parking is overnight-only: cars must be moved by 9 am each morning. Make prior arrangements with the hotel if you need longer-term arrangements. The night manager and the men at the check-in are friendly and helpful: he carried my bag to the room and helped with local information. In contrast, the women at the desk were invariably curt and unsmiling. This became especially difficult when retrieving a room key: rooms have Italian names rather than numbers, and the staff always had to look me up in the computer to find out where I resided. No amount of trying to be nice about it cut through the ice. **
The rooms are very luxurious, notable for the huge, fast-filling bathtub next to the king-sized bed. There are very comfortable beds (almost too large for the room), a generous workspace, complementary Internet and gourmet tea / coffee service provided. High-end products are everywhere, from the shower products to the magazines. There is an in-room safe and mini-bar, complementary high-speed internet and cable television. Three newspapers were delivered every morning, and wakeup calls were prompt and polite. The bathroom has a large shower stall with cascade shower that is a delight, and lots of hot water with strong pressure. But the tub bath is a can’t-miss delight. Unfortunately, I could not get the flat screen TV to work, and a service request left at the front desk didn’t to resolve the problem. **
Breakfast was included, and includes a large buffet, friendly staff, and, if desired, a cooked to order English Breakfast. A pot of coffee was left at the table, and the food was great. There is a bar in the basement with lots of cozy nooks for meeting with friends, and a full selection of beers and liquors available. **
This is a boutique luxury property that has great potential once the few remaining kinks in the equipment and the staff are worked out. Only remember that you have to arrange parking ahead of time, and that staff in the nearby Biotech Institute can see you if you get out of the bedside tub with the drapes open.

Ten out of ten for most staff

by TripAdvisor Member Enamelina

Ten out of ten for most staff. Eleven out of ten for the rest!
This hotel was brilliant. Room very comfortable, contemporary, bed very comfortable, lovely Egyptian cotton bed linen. We were at the front of the hotel on the second floor. There is some traffic noise but the secondary glazing helps to cut this out. We asked if there was an alternative room but preferred the superior room we had booked. At one point we were shown a room near the air conditioning units. The room vibrated! Ask for a room away from these units!

The Bistro is delightful. Food very good, Ambiance excellent. Great wine list.
Breakfast was also good with plenty of choice and is served in the Bistro.

WARNING !!!!!!!!!! There is a deep gully outside the hotel between the pavement and the road. This is an ancient water conduit and looks rather like a storm drain found in other countries. If you pull up in your car out side the hotel DO NOT PULL RIGHT INTO THE KERB. We scratched the front of our car and my husband was convinced we had damaged the suspension by getting the wheel stuck in the gully. I think it runs the length of the street and other streets in Cambridge so take care when parking. If you want to park at the hotel you MUST book it in advance. There is an underground car park they take the car to but spaces are limited. It costs £14.00 per day but the alternatives nearby are worse.

In spite of the parking problems we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Du Vin in Cambridge and can't wait to go back!

Very cool room

by TripAdvisor Member Dowse

We have just celebrated our wedding anniversary and this is the 2nd time we have stayed at a Hotel Du Vin property and once again you know what expect when you book.

We stayed in the grand suite which is definatly a wow room! Complete with the 2 bathrooms, the first is very large with a roll top bath and LCD on wall , the 2nd has large shower which is very powerful and sink toliet etc.
The bedroom is very large with sofa area and has LCD TV & dvd and surround sound (this only works with DVD player so take your own) Hotel does have selection but it not that upto date. There is also a BOSE IPOD docking station!

The room also boasts an outside terrace with seating area but you are in the basement so the view is a bit limited but don't let this put you off there is plenty of light.

Then the best bit i have saved till the last you also get a seperate room which has been turned into your own private cinema!! You have huge plasma and DVD surround sound and a playstation 3!! Again take yout own games as the selection is a bit limited.

The room normally costs about £400 Mon-Sat but on a sunday it is priced at £330, however all I can say is if you can wait to the last minute before you book you can haggle the on the £330.

All in all the hotel is great and the food & wine are what you would expect of HDV - EXCELLENT!

If you are looking for hotel in Cambridge then don't hesitate, HDV delivers.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LichfieldCamel

I had booked a night in the Hotel du Vin in December for my husband's birthday but had to cancel when the children were sick. When I called back to rebook for March they had changed their policy to min 2 night stay at the weekend. When I explained the situation they honoured the original booking and allowed me to rebook for a Sat night. very happy about that!

When I had made the original booking I had enquired about noise as anyone with young children will understand the importance of a quiet night sleep if you have the chance. The receptionist suggested a room at the back and this was perfect. Ok no view but the room was lovely so this wasn't a problem.
Spacious room, lovely bathroom. Fresh coffee and fresh milk in the room - a lovely touch, I hate UHT milk!
We had pre booked in the bistro and enjoyed champagne cocktails in the cellar bar beforehand. Food was delicious. Slightly pretentious menu but our waitress was happy to translate the items I couldn't (only have GCSE french, clearly not enough here!) Again the wine list was slightly pretentious, we struggled to find an italian wine in our budget.

Prebooked the valet parking which was worth it. We slept in and decided to skip on the breakfast - we walked down the road and had it in the place next to the Chop House (sorry can't remember name!) a fab english breakfast at half the price overlooking lovely building and a really great atmosphere.

This is not a cheap place to stay but if you want a treat you will feel spoiled and I think get your money's worth.

Entrance to Michaelmas caféEntrance to Michaelmas café

The Dry GardenThe Dry Garden

Gargoyle (Our Lady and the English Martyrs)Gargoyle (Our Lady and the English Martyrs)

The HallThe Hall

swift code / bic- does anyone know?

by christine.j

Hi, are there any bankers among you? I have to transfer a deposit to Cambridge. I have the name of the bank -HSBC-, sort code, the account number and the IBAN, but not the swift code/bic. I googled for it and found a few websites with HSBC banks in Cambridge, all having the swift code/bic MIDLGB22. Their sort codes ,however, seem to be different from the one I have.
Does anyone know if the swift code is the same for all HSBC branches in Cambridge?
I don't want to put in a wrong swift code/bic and risk the deposit going to some other account.
Maybe I'm lucky and someone knows about this.
Thanks for any help.

by Emmjai

I've come accros the swift code problem too! I just rang up my bank and asked them for it, there wasn't a problem
Good luck

Hi,

I work in a bank and have checked on our list of sortcodes/BIC codes.

The BIC/Swift is the same in all branches so you will be fine to use this.

If you have the sortcode I can check further for the specific branch.

Fiona

by Feefox

If you are transferring from the UK, they should not need the BIC/Swift code they should only need the eight digit accountr number and the Sort Code.

Swift & Bic Codes are more for transferring overseas.

I hope this helps. Let me know the sortcode if you want me to check further details.

Fi

by christine.j

Thanks a lot! for your quick answers. I cannot phone them as I don't know which branch they are, so I have no phone nimber.
The sort code is 40-22-12.
Could you find out the swift code for me?
That would be great.
Thank you.

by Feefox

Ok here are the details,

THe BIC/Swift is MIDLGB21-32B (I think the 32B relates to the actual branch)

You could send it without the 32B at the end but as its listed I would include it.

Hope this is everything you need.

Fi

by christine.j

That should read "phone nUmber" in my last posting, of course.
I have to transfer the deposit from Germany, that's why I need the swift code/bic. First I was told that the IBAN would be enough, but this morning when I wanted to do it, I was told it cannot be done without the swift code/bic.

by christine.j

You're wonderful! Thank you very much! I'll be on my way to the bank straight away and do the transfer.
Thanks again!

by Feefox

No problem its a nightmare when you can't get the info.

Glad I could help.

RE: swift code / bic- does anyone know?

by JRSCOTT