Warkworth House

Warkworth Terrace, Cambridge, CB1 1EE, United Kingdom

• christine.j's Profile Photo

What a wonderful B&B

And another update from 2013:
    Once again I was back in Cambridge and was lucky to book a room at Warkworth House. I'm happy to say that nothing has changed. It's still an excellent choice. I had been stuck in London because all trains had been cancelled due to a storm and finally arrived in Cambridge late in the evening after taking the coach. I had not been able to contact Mrs Collins that I'd be more than 10 hours late, but she had kept my room and welcomed me . It was like coming home. The price for a single is 65 GBP, an absolute bargain for the centre of Cambridge. it still includes a very good breakfast. I will be back!

Update May 2010:
    In April we were back. I had booked on short notice , but we were lucky, Mrs Collins had one double left. She even helped us with a parking permit, as this time we had come by car. At least one or two more visits are planned for 2010, so we'll be back in Warkworth House.

Update 2010:
    In December 2010 we were back in Cambridge and of course stayed at Warkworth House again. I had asked if we could get a room on ground floor and we we got just that, a very nice double, warm - it was December - , quiet, and the breakfast was just as good as always. I've already told Mrs Collins we'd be back in 2010.

Update 2009:
    I've just stayed there again and I'm happy to say it's still the same: Very friendly and helpful owners, excellent breakfasts and very reasonable rates for Cambridge. This time I had a single, as I was on my own, and paid £ 55. I will be back next year.

During my visits to Cambridge in the last two years I had never been able to find affordable accomodation, so I took the train to Bury St Edmunds and stayed there. This is also a very nice place, but this year I was determined to find something in Cambridge. I started looking very early in the year and found a wonderful B&B, Warkworth House.

It's close to the city center, about 10 minutes from the pedestrian area. The National Express coach stops right at the end of the street, to the train station it's about 20 minutes walk.
    Parking can be difficult, but the owners try to help. We were lucky, as we had got a parking permit from a college near-by.

Unique Quality: The house is Victorian, so the rooms are a bit small, especially the bathroom. Lots of steep stairs, if you have any problems walking it's not the best place.
    We had everything we needed and for a very good price! We paid 70 GBP for a double, including a full English breakfast, which was cooked fresh each morning. You could choose from the menu what you wanted and it was cooked to order. Excellent! In addtion a continental breakfast buffet, with cereals, joghurt, fruit etc.
    The owners are very friendly and helpful.

This is really a wonderful place to stay and I know I'll never have to search for accomodation again in Cambridge, provided I book early enough.

Directions: Have a look at the website, it's explained really well there.
    It's just down the street from the stop of the National Express Coaches, about 50 meters or so.

• eliowny's Profile Photo

Friendly and Central

The Warkworth house isn't what I would call a buisness hotel (tell that to my company), with the world's tiniest single rooms and bathrooms missing useful accessories most of us take for granted (towel racks, for instance). However, the location (just north of Parker's Piece and just around the corner from the Free Press), can't easily be beaten at this price. There are only a couple of double rooms, and they seem to often house Uni exchange students, so book well in advance. If you can, ask for a single in the newer part of the house, they're slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) bigger.

Unique Quality: Good english breakfast, HP available (a crucial aspect!)

Directions: You'll probably need a map. Check out their web page.

Comments