Charlotte House Hotel Ltd

78 London Road, Peterborough, PE2 9BP, United King

Charlotte House Hotel
Agoda.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

• Peterborough's hidden gem!

Having never coming to Peterborough before, I felt compelled to staying at a guest house rather that a hotel. Why? Because I wanted value for money and a less plastic approach. I was impressed by the overwhelming friendliness of the owners Wayne and Sally, and the guard cat George. As a single female travelling alone, feeling safe is one of my main priorities, the owners made me feel at ease, welcome and at home from the minute I landed on their doorstep. I am currently staying at the guest house again, not something I would normally do unless I felt it was worthy of my hard earned cash. I am in a different room this time and, if possible this room is even more lovely. Gorgeous, clean, classically decorated room, with more than enough room, wall mounted HD telly, excellent en suite facilities and above all I feel safe. I will come here again, and If I am lucky enough to get the job in Peterborough I am seriously considering the possibility of staying here on a long term basis. (If they would let me!) I would recommend this house to anyone wanting a break from the less personalised touches you recieve from a larger hotel, this is a guest house and you are made to feel like part of the family. Excellent place!!! Oh and another thing, the breakfast is to die for, proper bacon, well made and the sight of Wayne in an apron is great! 10/10

Unique Quality: The personable approach of the owners made this a place that I will continue to stay at. I think if you just want somewhere to rest your head and not care about who is staying next door then stay at the bigger hotel chains. I know that neither Wayne, George the Cat or more importantly Sally would allow any riff raff stay in their guest house. I have stayed in a number of hotels and you can guarantee that I am the person who is next door to the drunken bum or the nymphomaniac and rarely get a decent nights sleep. Here I have all the luxury of home including my own safeguards! If you want somewhere decent then this is the place to stay, its close to shops, eating places and has a secure carpark. What more would you want??

Directions: Find the CAFCAS office and look across the road!

More about Peterborough

I'ms sorry, I'm from PeterboroughI'ms sorry, I'm from Peterborough

Peterborough LidoPeterborough Lido

The Festival continues next dayThe Festival continues next day

Bridges over the NeneBridges over the Nene

Travel Tips for Peterborough

Visit the village of Longthorpe

by sourbugger

The village of Longthorpe lies about 3 miles to the west of the centre of the city.

If you go at the weekend in the summer (especially Sundays) then you will find several points of interest during a short walk.

1. If you follow the signs to Longthorpe Tower then you can visit this english Heritage site. It is a fortified manor house with domestic painting on the walls themselves, that have been very well preserved. It is upposed to be one of the best example in Europe.

2. Heading back to the main road and turning right towards town there is the pretty "Chain Cottage". Further along on the right hand side is the ancient church.

3. A couple of hundred yards towards town is thatched post office, and on the opposite side of the road "Foxgloves" cottage, that has been used as the cover for a box of chocolates.

4. Heading past the post office and right at the sharp turn, there lies a pillar in the garden of a home which marks where Mary Queen of Scots was rested on her way to her burial place in Peterborough cathedral.

5.Head across the village green and cutting through the modern houses you will find the Longthorpe fishponds, and a grotto with fresh water spring. Local legend says that this cave was connected by tunnel all the way to the Cathedral. The spring was commercial at some point and it was claimed had amazing healing properties.

6. From there away to the left is Thorpe Hall. You can walk across the fields to reach this stately home which is now used as a hospice.

7. On reaching Thorpe hall you can see the grounds, garden centre and minature railway in the old garden

8. It is then possible to return to the Tower back along the main Thorpe road, or turn right and head back into the centre of town.

Enjoy your walk

The Guildhall

by sourbugger

A rather fine building stands right in the middle of 'Cathedral square', the main pedestrianised public space in the centre of town. I had always known the buliding as the 'Butter cross'. I believe this was due to the fact that it was the centre of the market area, and butter producers sold their wares underneath it.

Although the market has long since moved, many older Peterborians will refer to Cathedral square as the 'marketplace'.

There were plans some years ago to turn it into an upmarket cafe - it never happened.

It is actually a rather fine 17th century guildhall, and the 'upper room' (donkeys and disciples extra) is available for hire from the city council.

Comments