Best Western The Queen Hotel

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Best Western The Queen Hotel

Fabulous Memories to take away

After spending a fabulous weekend at The Queen in Chester, I felt I must write in their defence after reading some of the criticism in comments.
Mu Husband and I had booked an anniversary weekend away and from the moment we arrived at the hotel we could genuinely not have been looked after any better. Our room overlooked the delightful Italian gardens, which features a water fountain, garden furniture to sit out in the sun on and the most delightful landscaping. Dinner in the restaurant was mouth-watering with desserts which really can be described as "to die for".
There was a wedding ceremony taking place in the gardens which was lovely and the hotel was extremely busy with people attending the races and with the wedding, but nothing was too much trouble to any member of the management or staff at the hotel.
You can see that a large amount of money has already been invested in the hotel to restore it and we were told that there is an ongoing programme to restore the remaining bedrooms - but as they say Rome wasn't built in a day and this wonderful roman feeling hotel truly is worth a visit.

Great Buffet Breakfast!

Loved this hotel, we got the train up to Chester on a Saturday, walked straight in from the train station and booked a room for the night. I think it's an impressive looking building and the atrium has stairs running all the way up the inside of the building which makes it very light and airy, and there is a fairly grand atmosphere.
The bedroom was definitely above average which nice bathroom freebies which you don't see in many places anymore.
We went out for a curry in the evening on City Street, which was one that was recommended by the hotel and we had a very good meal there. Then when we got up the next morning we ate far too much at the breakfast buffet - there was loads of choice; different fruits, cereals, and then the full cooked deal and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted. Bargain. The restaurant also overlooks the patio area which would have been lovely to sit out on if the weather had been a bit nicer.
The only thing I wasn't particularly impressed with was the bar, which was only really because I found it quite chilly in there, but it didn't matter as we took our drinks to our room!
The staff were also very helpful and looked after our bags when we arrived and when we were leaving so we could go off and do our own thing.
I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are going to stay in Chester!

Will never use it again

by TripAdvisor Member Solobay

Stay over in Chester every week on business

Stayed here numerous times and the rooms seem to be getting worse and worse.

Last stay room was dirty - bath moved about - marks on wall from both furnitures being moved and dirt - room was next to bus stop where tour busses revved from early in morning - got about 3 hours sleep.

If I was staying more than one night I would have done something about it.

Wrote a 2 pager to the manager and it was never acknowledged.

Would not recommend this hotel for anything other than breakfast and staff

Lovely Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Holidays78

The hotel room was nice; we got upgraded to a superior room which was roomy and overlooked the courtyard. We couldn't hear the trains, despite the proximity to the station. The location was okay - it was about a 5 minute walk to the shops. Breakfast was excellent. There was no mini bar or complementary water etc in the room, which it could have done with. The car parking is free, which is good, but there are not many spaces and it is shared with the Best Western Westminster hotel which is just opposite - get there early!

Not so bad

by TripAdvisor Member BigGav

On the whole a good hotel, reception staff a bit prickly but everyone else was very nice, Breakfast buffet very nice. Car parking is a problem when the hotel is busy but that is made up for by the close to station and city centre location. Try the old Harkers pub by the canal on the way to the city centre, good food great beer. Would stay again, Nice hotel, stayed in a lot worse.

loved the holiday

i have just returned from a week's breakat this lovely hotel in the equally lovely city of chester. all the staff were more than helpful and very friendly. what a really nice experiemce of good food and a piece of over all pamperong and luxery.

OK but not great

by TripAdvisor Member Rives

This is my 3rd stay, and again I'm left with the feeling that the experience should have been a lot better than it was. The food in the dining room included a good starter, but a main course that just felt as if it had been warmed in the microwave. The room was average at best - the bathroom needed some updating, and the room itself was very small. This is the first time I've stayed on the road side of the hotel, and it's a lot nosier than on either the front or the rear of the hotel. The station and the pub opposite mean that there are a lot of drunken noises until the early hours. The breakfast was OK, but I had to ask for tea and toast after it was promised it would follow upon arrival, and even then the toast took almost 10 minutes,even though the restaurant was pretty quiet. There was a very limited choice of yhogurt, and the fresh fruit was also pretty limited. All in all, just an average hotel facility.

Variable at best

by TripAdvisor Member CriticalFriend

Have stayed at the Queen three times this year so I guess it can't be that bad, altho' I do find Chester a difficult place to find a reasonably priced quality hotel room.

The bedrooms are very variable, there are some fantasically luxurious rooms in the original front part of the hotel, some perfectly acceptable rooms in the new annex, but the old wing that runs along the street is appalling. If you end up in the old wing you will find a basic bedroom, bathroom fitments from the 60's, formica paneling and curling lino - enjoy. If I end up being allocated one of these rooms I always ask for it to be changed, I am always told that the hotel is full, I ask again and then they change it. I dont know why they dont do it the first time of asking, but hey they do it eventually, so who's complaining.

I have never eaten dinner in the hotel as there plenty of alternatives in Chester and the breakfast has never encouraged me to eat in the hotel. Breakfast is the usual self-service buffet of congealed fried eggs, undercooked bacon, frozen hash browns and suspicious sausages all kept warm for the last 3 hours - yuck.

The public areas in the hotel are good with plenty of lounge seating. The areas are in a semi-formal, kitchy sort of style with some strange mock-bronze statues found lurking suprisingly around several corners.

Still I don't know anywhere better to stay in Chester for the price (£75 single B&B is the deal I get).

not 4 star

booked for my 40th birthday using a late deal site, but thinking this was a 4 star hotel, i thought it would be alot better. The floors creak terrible so if anyone moves around next door or above you, you know about it. The bathroom was shabby, the lino around the toilet wasnt cut properly the grouting around the bath was shocking and the shower knob kept falling off. The view was very nice of an italian garden but the window was draughty and mouldy. we had our breakfast in our room which cost extra, but it wasnt enjoyable. The staff though are very friendly and the public areas of the hotel are up to standard, just a pity the rooms are not.

A visit of 2 halves!! Choose your room with care!!

by TripAdvisor Member rosie95

To enjoy a stay at the queens I would suggest that you need to stay in one of the 10 refurbished Queen Elizabeth rooms ONLY!! We stayed in a standard double and had to pay £50 to upgrade for the 2nd night.On our arrival we were so disappointed to see a tired old small room. The bathroom was terrible and I have to say that I had better in student digs!! We tried to upgrade straight away but were told they were full.The queeen Elizabeth suites are lovely but you do need these rather than an ordinary exec suite even those look tired.We had a 4 poster and beautiful soft furnishings and the bathroom was new and modern.
Definately a weekend of 2 extremes. Choose with care!!

SignageSignage