Crabwall Manor Hotel

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Crabwall Manor Hotel

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member CampingGT

Staying at the Crabwall Manor was one of the best experiences I have had of staying at a hotel. The food and service were superb and the staff were always friendly and attentive. The room was large and very clean. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone else.

first anniverasry

by TripAdvisor Member tailormade

Just stayed at the Crabwall Manor for our first Wedding Anniversary. We usually stay in The Grosvenor or at Carden Park but decided to try something different.
Overall, we had a really enjoyable time.

Pros;
Great location,
Reasonable room rates (compared to previous),
Clean,
Great Spa area,

Cons
Rooms a little tired,
No mini bar,
Limited menu for dinner,

Would stay again but would make sure I take a bottle of wine with me (for getting ready) and would request a room with a view. If you are eating in Chester City Centre make you book a reservation for dinner if a saturday night as we had to try several before we finally got a table in a resonable (but not first/second choice) restaurant. Local taxi into Chester very good at only £5.00.

Breakfast is fine.

Definately worth a visit, although not as good as the Grosvenor but easier on the pocket.

Dream Wedding Location

by TripAdvisor Member JayneG

I held my wedding ceremony and reception at Crabwall Manor on Friday 17th August 2007, and can only praise the venue and staff for a fabulous day.

The Venue itself is a magnificent building set in beautiful gardens with plenty of wildlife (hedgehogs, rabbits, foxes and squirrels to name a few). This provided a fantastic backdrop for the photographs, the photographer was beside her self with possibilities.

I used the Conservatory for the ceremony which looked fantastic without any additional floral arrangements as it is surrounded by the gardens outside. The wedding breakfast was in the Earl of Chester Suite which was set out magnificently by the staff to my specifications. The tables were well laid out and there was plenty of room for my 60 guests to enjoy the celebrations. The room was quickly turned around for the evening (30 mins).

The food for the wedding breakfast was first class and there have been many compliments from guests as to the quality of preparation, presentation and service of the food and wine.

There was a choice of bridal suites and the suite I stayed in was fantastic. I was able to book the same suite for the night before as well at very reasonable rates. It was on a split level which was great for while I was getting ready, with the most comfortable bed (4 poster) that I have ever slept in, the bathroom was huge with a massive bath and separate shower. In fact all the guests who stayed (at least 20) commented on the size and quality of their rooms. The rooms were spotlessly clean and well serviced.

The staff at the hotel were all very helpful and polite, and the standard of service provided was very high. I cannot speak highly enough of the efforts made to make my day as enjoyable as possible.

The crowing glory is the Spa which has a fantastic swimming pool which i took advantage of both before and after my big day.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough, I would certainly stay there again without hesitation.

Hotel ok - Spa lovely

by TripAdvisor Member Kippaxlady

I stayed at the hotel as part of a girls hen weekend. The check in was fine and we managed to get into our rooms an hour before the official check in time. We ate lunch at the hotel which was very nice even if the waitress was a little abrupt and surly. Our room was large, however, it was in need of some updating, our duvet cover had holes in it and didn't give a great impression, the bathroom was also in need of a refurb. The lighting in the room was terrible and half the bulbs were out. Plus there were no plugs situated near any mirrors which made gettng ready pretty difficult.

There wasn't sufficient bar staff working during the evening and it took around 10 of us 20 minutes to get a drink. When we arrived back at the hotel at around 1am it was all but deserted and we even struggled to raise someone so we could get our key. We wanted to order some snacks and drinks but there was no one available to ask/order.

Breakfast was very nice, however, we had to pester the waiting on staff for things like cutlery, milk, butter etc, drinks etc.

The spa on the otherhand was lovely and has a really nice juice bar and pool/wet area. Some of our party used the beauty facilities and the treatments/beauticians were excellent.

The weekend itself was great and this hotel could be outstanding if it was given an overhaul and was ran in a more efficient way.

Things are looking up

by TripAdvisor Member FairyNuffManchester

I stayed at this hotel last September and would have agreed then with the comments of other reviewers who say that the rooms need a bit of TLC. BUT...we stayed for a second time this week and the bedroom and bars, lounges and restaurant have all had a lick of paint and new fixtures and fittings. The staff were very friendly and efficient and the food - to die for! Our bathroom was fantastic, so big I worried about getting lost but I would have had the complimentary cosy dressing gown to keep me warm whilst struggling to find the way. All this for a bargain basement rate of £55 for the two of us per night. The spa was still gorgeous and refreshingly free from hoity toity gym freaks. We'll be back.

lovely and peaceful

by TripAdvisor Member deloupot

I decided to book a 1 night suprise for my husbands birthday,on arriving at the hotel the outside looked excellent,it had the feel of an old castle.We were able to check in an hour before our time.On arriving in the room we found it a very good size with 2 sink basins,bath robes,magazines and all the usual extras you would find,however there were no remote control for the tv nor a kettle,but a quick phone call to reception and they promptly arrived with many apologies.The food in the hotel was of an excellent standard and the service was very good and efficient.
we were starting to feel very romantic when the lights were dimmed and soothing music (from Enigma)started playing until a table of 8 decided they did'nt care much for the music and had it turned off,I was quite annoyed about this but didnt want to make a scene!.The spa facilities could not be faulted,my husband had an excellent massage for only £28(30%off until may).In fact the whole hotel could'nt be faulted we went home relaxed and very chilled. We most certainly will be booking again.

Lovely treat!

by TripAdvisor Member illumina

My boyfriend treated me to a night at this hotel last year.. everything met my expectations, definitely the nicest rooms I've stayed in for a long time - the bathroom was huge! Couldn't fault the leisure/spa facilities either and the grounds were lovely. Would definitely return!

Excellent Service

by TripAdvisor Member PepperBirmingham

We stayed here to celebrate my birthday with 6 friends and as such were a group booking.
Even though there were problems with the heating they made every effort to make amends
We were able to book a room for private dining and the choice of food and personal service was excellent . We were not pressurised to leave-stayed in there until 1am!!
As other reveiwers have said, some of the rooms and furniture could do with updating but the service made up for it. I spoke to the receptionist and apparently they were recently taken over by Brook Hotels, who do intend to upgrade/refurbish the hotel
Would definitely visit again and recommend to others.

Awful, would not go back!

by TripAdvisor Member KATE1010

We booked this hotel for our first wedding anniversary. We both fancied a bit of luxury and the pics of the hotel looked lovely. We booked via a late deal offer and got a standard room for £65 which i thought was very reasonable. On our arrival we were put in room 16. We were extremely disappointed, the whole room was very dated, the bathroom was disgusting. There were cracked tiles which you could easily cut your feet on, around the bath was mouldy and the paint was peeling everywhere. There were also cigarette burns in the furniture. So as you can imagine we requested to be moved. We were then put in room 3 which was slightly bigger but was still extremely shabby and the bathroom tiles were once again cracked. As it was our anniversary we decided to ask for our money back and stay elsewhere. The reception then said they would upgrade us to a suite as they did not want to lose our business. We were put in room 2. The room is very big and spacious and it looked a lot cleaner and generally not as shabby and had a nice view over the gardens so we agreed to stay.
Initially we were pleased with the room. However on returning from our evening out the mattress was awful, i have a bad back and the mattress was unbelievably soft with no support in it at all, not what you would expect in a suite. The next morning i attempted to get a shower however there was no hot water! Then i went to get dressed only to discover a beetle of some sort in the bed! It fell onto the floor so we had to trap it in a glass so the hotel could see it later on. After that we promptly left, how this hotel can be classed as a four star i have no idea. We have never complained about a hotel room and we regularly stay in travel lodges. The hotel looks lovely from outside however the inside is extremely dated and in need of urgent attention. The reception staff said the hotel has just been taken over by Brook hotels and is due to get a massive refurbishment. This hotel could be stunning however we were extremely disappointed. The staff gave us a discount on the room and the Alison was very helpful in trying to make our stay better however based on our experience we will not be returning to this hotel.

So run down - a real shame. Staff nowhere to be seen.

by TripAdvisor Member NinaS

We stayed here for my birthday. I have visited the hotel spa quite a few times over the years and expected the rest of the hotel to be of a similar quality (very good). In reality the whole place is in bad need of a refurb. We actually went to four different rooms before we found one that we were happy with - all the others were super shabby, with mouldy bathrooms, cracked tiles, peeling paint, missing curtains, burnt furniture etc etc etc . We only planned to have room service so we had asked to be emailed a menu in advance but that bore no relation to the very limited choces available on the room service and restaurant menus that night. As we were just relaxing I asked if I could possibly have a bathrobe. The poor girl on reception was really struggling because she seemed to be completely alone in the place. Anyway she couldn't find me one. despite the fact that the hotel was virtually deserted. She also failed to find me any teabags as there were none in the room. I eventually asked at the resturant. They brought me some but had no milk ! We did have a nice swim in the pool, but overall the hotel was very disappointing indeed.

Comments