60 Hoole Road, Chester, Cheshire, CH2 3NL, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Green Bough Hotel

Simply the Best

by TripAdvisor Member SueL07

This is the second year we have stayed at the Green Bough, having tried several hotels over the past few years for our annual pilgrimage back to our North West roots from London and the South. Quite simply, this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at - and I have stayed at many. From the friendliness and humour of the staff (nothing is too much trouble) to the excellent standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel, and the well appointed rooms - to the fantastic cuisine and wine list, this hotel is numero uno! We have stayed for two weekends in January and intend to stay next year for an extra night in order to taste the full range of the menu. The food is out of this world - and the breakfast menu to die for. Platinum stars to the owners and staff alike. Simply the best.

Fantastic Food, Exceptional Staff, A little Gem!

by TripAdvisor Member A.Dean1948

This is without doubt one of the finest hotels i have ever had the pleasure of staying in.

I first came across the Green Bough when i was in the area on business and my assistant had booked me in. I had expected, as is so common in this country, to be face with a well present motel type place, BUT how wrong could i have been. From the warm welcome i recieved upon arrival, to the fantastic rooms and the exceptional restaurant, i can honestly say this is one of the best hotels i have stayed in ever, and from someone that spends about a third of the year moving from hotel to hotel all around the world it is a judgement derived from a lot of experiences.

I have to admit to being amussed by some of the comments written before me about this little gem. The strangest is that which refers to the wine list. I can assure anyone who loves wine that the exensive wine list they keep has some fantstic vintages, non of which are available at your local Tesco, or even your local wine merchant - trust me as i have tried to get hold of many of them myself.

I have since return to the Green Bough on many occasions, both on business and pleasure when i have brought my wife over from the states with me for a romatic weeks break. Even when i am tried of travelling with work, i have booked in at the Green Bough even if it means driving extra for a meeting the next day. The atmosphere there is so relaxing, its almost like being at home.

I can honestly recommend this little gem of a hotel to anyone who wants to exprience five star luxury and pampering, without the five star price.

A fantastic find!

by TripAdvisor Member MildredandGeorge

A wonderful stay in a beautiful hotel. From the moment we stepped through the doors we felt welcomed. The staff on reception were friendly and helpful and showed us briefly around the hotel. The room in which we stayed was delightful(The Arley junior suite). The food in the evenings were fantastic and they were happy to change parts of it when we said we didn't eat meat but did eat fish. Plenty for us to eat.

All in all a lovely stay.

Fantastic find

by TripAdvisor Member BJMCNAUGHT

I have been travelling to Chester on business for over a year now and, on one of my last weeks, after testing most of the hotels in the area, finally found a hotel offering quality, fantastic service and great food. I was almost sad to leave after a five day stay over one of the busiest weekends in the Chester social calendar.

Attention to detail by all of the staff made the stay very comfortable. Breakfast and dinner both excellent.

A real home from home.

Highly recommended.

Top of the tree

by TripAdvisor Member Missus1

We stayed two nights mid-week as my husband was working in the area. I had read the reviews before booking and knew the hotel had recently won the award for Best Hotel so I was looking forward to our stay. I was not disappointed. The suite we stayed in was perfect, with leather sofa and chair, flat-screen TV (one in the bedroom also) and a hi fi system. The bed was so comfortable with really good linen. We ate in the restaurant on both nights and the menu was different on both occasions, with canapes, pre-starters and sorbets, not forgetting home-made chocolates!, all included in a perfectly executed menu. I am a very critical guest I'm afraid but could find absolutely nothing that wasn't done to the highest standard. My thanks to Janice and her super staff for a perfect stay. This is the only place to stay in Chester!

enjoyable stay

by TripAdvisor Member 50 & Fab

excellent stay from arrival to departure. Stayed in the comfortable beeston room. Large canopied bed, with ample wardrobe and drawer space, large sitting area, flat screen television and pleasant bathroom. The entire hotel was spotlessly clean. all the staff were extremely helpful and cheerful especially the new assistant restaurant manageress who had only been in the job a few weeks, sorry we didnt ask your name! Nothing was too much trouble, the meals were all excellent and beautifully presented. We couldnt fault our stay and would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel if you are staying in the area.

Be careful when booking on-line

by TripAdvisor Member Much

Given the Tripadvisor reviews I was going to stay at this hotel in November.

I used the on-line reservation enquiry form on the hotel's own web site. Two days later I'd not heard anything. Fed up I e-mailed the hotel to cancel the booking.

Later that night an e-mail was received that pretty bluntly stated that I must be at fault for not filling in the form correctly!

I don't think that this was the case nor do I think that using FireFox was to blame either. This browser doesn't interact with certain web sites, but I usually know when this is the case and use Explorer.

The upshot is that whatever went wrong I expected the hotel to try and put it right - they didn't, so I'll be staying at the Grosvenor.

Worthy of it new 4th Star

by TripAdvisor Member Smiths1981

What a fantastic little hotel. Having read all the reviews on Trip Advisor we decided to choose the Green Bough over the other hotels in Chester to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we were not disappointed.

From the moment we walked in we were welcomed as though we were visiting a family member we had not seen for a few years. Nothing was too much trouble and the young gentleman even went out of his way to find out some extra information for us on the internet regarding opening times of a near by National Trust house.

We were shown up to our room and when we arrived we were informed we had had a complimentary upgrade to their Arley Junior Suite - and what an upgrade. A huge room with a four-poster antique bed complete with teddy and a lovely note from the owners welcoming us. The small touches are what really made the room though, ducks in the bathroom, luxurious bathrobes and a plate of wonderful chocolates with a little Happy Anniversary note from the staff. The house keepers are to be applauded, we could not fault them in any way. This has to be the cleanest hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying in.

In the evening we came down for dinner and were greeted by a lady with a huge smile on her face, who I later discovered was the owner. She showed us through to the lounge for our pre-dinner drink and this is where the evening of gastronomical delights began! Delicate little canapés were served whilst we sipped on a glass of champagne whilst deciding which of the chef mouth watering dishes to sample. When booking I was a little sceptical about the seven course menu, but I have to say it was brilliantly executed with large portions giving way to carefully balanced flavours and beautiful presentation. I have to commend the chef on his choice of lamb, the Welsh Salt Marsh Cannon of Lamb had a wonderful delicate flavour and the young, who we had asked to choose the wine for us as I quite happily admit I know little about wines, chose a fantastic Argentinean red that on its own may have been a little to heavy for my personal taste but with the lamb was a full of flavours without being overpowering.

We later retired for the evening, feeling full but not stuffed, to enjoy one of the most relaxing nights in one of the most comfortable beds (and also one the highest) we have ever stay in.

The next morning we were welcomed by another lovely lady, again with a huge smile, and taken through to a truly wonderful breakfast. Over a dozen freshly prepared fruits, cereals and fruit juices to choose from to begin. Then a breakfast menu the Ritz would be proud of, I chose the full Cheshire breakfast whilst my wife went for the Smoked Salmon and Scrabbled Egg. Both were cooked to order and brought out on nice warm plates – something of a rarity nowadays! The Waitress, who had been on the previous night, was back again with a beaming smile and like all the staff were quite willing to engage in conversation, without neglecting her work I must add.

My only regret is that we were not able to stay for more than a single night. We came away from the hotel feeling more relaxed than we have after are two week holiday earlier in the year.

The Green Bough is proud of the awards it has won, and rightly so. I have since found out that they have been awarded their Fourth Star and congratulate them on an accolade they so richly deserve. It is so wonderful to find a hotel with the true values of a family own property, and one that can make you feel like you are visiting family or friends.

Congratulations again and we look forward to our next, extended stay.

A wonderful, quality experience

by TripAdvisor Member FentoHudds

This is a great hotel.

It is on the main road in to Chester, very easy to find.

From the moment we arrived we felt very well looked after. We were shown around by a very nice young lady. We booked a junior suite but were upgraded to the master - very swish. I had mentioned it was my wifes birhtday and there was a plate of delicious chocolates in the room and a happy birthday message - simple, but nice touch. We were brought a glass of champagne in the room.

Chester is a great place to visit for a shopping trip or just a stroll around.

We had the evening meal at the hotel which was very good - it was all a bit too formal for me - a tad pretentious. The mains were good but he desserts were fantastic - a perfectly paced dining experience that even allowed for the spectacular cheeses to finish with. Reasonable priced good wine.

All in all i would hartily recommend a visit - not cheap but worth the little extra.

Birthday Special

by TripAdvisor Member Curator_Jeff

Having decided to go to Chester, to celebrate my wife's birthday, we chose the Green Bough, mainly because of it's location. What we didn't expect, however, was the luxury, the absolute attention to detail, and the friendliness of all of the staff - they were like family/friends.

Nothing was too much trouble, and they were always wanting to ensure our stay was special, if we'd asked for the Moon, I'm sure they would have tried!

Incidentally, whilst on board the Vintage Bus trip around the City, Edward the owner of the bus couldn't wait to tell us how the owner of the Green Bough had worked hard to make it what it is, and how proud the people of Chester were, of it's success and achievements.
My wife and I reired over 4 years ago, and have stayed in several Hotels in Great Britain each year. The Green Bough, however, is 'SIMPLY THE BEST'.
Jeff
West Wales

Interior (2) (organ and organist)Interior (2) (organ and organist)

Show Jumping on Chester RacecourseShow Jumping on Chester Racecourse