Hoole Hall

Doubletree by Hilton Chester
Priceline.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 56% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hoole Hall

Weekend for 2 in Chetser.

by TripAdvisor Member Eirianwen

I spent a night at the Hoole Hall hotel with a friend and I must say I was impressed. The staff were friendly, the twin room was clean and larger than other hotels I have stayed at. The room was warm and comfortable and although there was no remote control for the television when we arrived a member of staff quickly brought us one after I called reception.

We walked from the hotel to the Chester, which was a good idea given the traffic, and got a taxi back for a very reasonable price.

We went to Hoole itself on the Sunday and went to a lovely cafe with friends. We had Sunday lunch at the very busy restaurant in the hotel and were served by friendly members of staff. The Sunday lunch wasn't amazing but for the price it was good value.

I would definitely stay at Hoole Hall again.

Will be nice when the Spa does open

by TripAdvisor Member acorn120198

My husband booked this hotel as it was our 1st anniversary & he knows I love being pampered at spa's. It was only after booking he noticed that the "Hoole Hall Hotel & Spa" did not actually have a spa & won't until 2009! So we thought it was a bit weird to have 'spa' in the title of the hotel.
Anyway the hotel was nice & staff were very attentive. We stayed in one of the new rooms which was as good as the Hilton.
We didn't stay for breakfast so can't comment on that. There was a lot of building & rnovation work going on when we there there but we'll probably return next year when the huge conservatory & the spa is finally completed.

Great wedding venue

by TripAdvisor Member TheBr0wns

We chose to hold our wedding here and on the day, the staff at Hoole Hall Hotel in Chester couldn't do enough for us - all our guests commented.

The hall is amazing, with high ceilings, open brickwork and iron chandeliers.
As you can use the whole hotel, for the evening reception we were able to have a room for the buffet and another for the children's room, with a TV and toys/games, as well as the main room where the DJ and bar were.

Staff dealt with issues, such as when extra guests turned up, very discreetly and with no fuss at all!

They were flexible with menu's, and they let us change items without charging, and we invented our own drinks package.
Very high standards of customer service. The staff work as a great team, and they can't do enough for you! And they really try to make you feel special and to make you laugh! All our guests commented on this!
Beautiful grounds, and complete use of all the facilities for your wedding party - including 3 function rooms.
The character of the old barn really lends itself to a civil ceremony, and converts easily for the wedding breakfast and evening party.
Lovely courtyard for use by the guests.

Bad Points
No Honeymoon suite - you have to have an executive room which is ok as you don't really spend long in your room.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member Mollymoodles

Myself and my partner went to Chester for a romantic night away. We booked the hotel via LateRooms(--) and got a very reasonable rate. Our room was very comfortable, possible slightly dated but spacious and clean. The staff were very friendly. They arranged a taxi to our restaurant and the lady in the bar upon our return was very chatty and helpful. I would recommend this hotel and am definitely considering staying again.

A genteel manse gone to seed!

by TripAdvisor Member gardeneil

Don't let the look of the "English country mansion" fool you. Whatever grace and charm this place had is a long-faded memory. Even the modern attempt at deluxe furnishing of the old mansion is laughably tatty and ill-conceived. All the sleeping rooms are in a modern annex, not in me-lord's house. They are clean, well furnished, and perfectly nice to sleep in if you like it hot as blazes. Unaccountably, even opening the window as wide as possible didn't cool down the room, even though the heat didn't seem to be on. Go figure. Otherwise they're nice enough. On the up side, the dinner we had in the restaurant was truly delicious and very well served, and the breakfast was good too. We were part of a tour group, so I don't know what the room cost, but it was only a middling hotel, not first-rate.

Staff Attitude To 2 Burglaries

by TripAdvisor Member Barrycc

We were part of a travel group of 40 staying at this establishment overnight and 2 of the rooms were burgled whilst we were at dinner. The usual saleable were taken which included cameras with memories within, that will never be successfully replaced.

Whilst the actual thefts were devasting in themselves, it is the attitude of the staff which left me personally disappointed in how it was all handled. As an observer to the going-ons I will suggest to you that the staff were simply apathetic to the whole issue. At no stage did anyone respond adequately in my mind to the plight of these people, in fact when the first break-in was reported the person at reception made no effort to get up off their backside and look after the interests of the guests and the reputation of the hotel.
It was interesting to hear a staff member state that this had not happened before, but the casual attitude of their response only suggested to all of us that it had indeed happened before and was nothing new to them. All members of our group sensed this.
So why the casual attitude? I suggest it is there simply because if you can weather the storm for 10 or 12 hours then the group will leave and take their problems with them. So that is the problem of being a member of a touring group, you do not stay long enough in the one place to become an issue.

By the way, the Chester police were no better, taking something like 12 hours to eventually respond to the issue. Needless to say, none of the items stolen will ever be recovered, we have all gone to the 4 corners of the world and so the issue will supposedly quietly die away.

There is something though that I would like to point out to the Corus Group of hotels. It is an established fact that when something unpleasant happens to people, on average they tell eleven others. It is also assumed that those 11 will tell another 11, and so on. Based on that, 440 other people outside our tour group of 40 already know about this particular event and they are now forming opinions of Hoole Hall and the Corus Group. I suggest that what happened will not be good for business and if I was a shareholder in this group I would have been very disappointed in the handling of the situation.

Fire Fire !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Dboys

We were looking for our first get away post having first child. So at 6 weeks we went on the 100 mile journey to Chester. The hotel was in a good location, fantastic setting. We were situated in the extension to the main property. The rooms were a reasonable size and well kitted out. Our trip was however marred by two factors. Firstly, the fire alarm which started at midnight and continued to sound every 15 minutes thereafter. Secondly, the rudeness and response from the duty manager at the time when we were looking for clarification of how long this was likely to continue.

Result, we drove back 120 miles in the middle of the night in the pouring rain, to their credit however, the owners of the hotel provided us with a full refund when challenged.

fantastic new years eve

by TripAdvisor Member gomersal

good hotel stayed here 5 years back, it was freezing then so took 2 lots of evening wear but times had changed they had the heating on so it was good. food on the night was okay but would have liked a champagne starter so that everyone went into eat at same time, also should have had a fish course aswell. hotel staff were very helpful. only draw back the next room had 2 dogs in, could have happily rung their necks, but lucky for them i didnt go to bed till 3.00am and they were asleep by then. would recommend staying here to anyone.

Car stolen!

by TripAdvisor Member mccarthm

My car was stolen from the car park at this hotel. When I complained to the manager he admitted that there was no exterior cctv or night-time patrols. He did point out that a sign in the car park advised guests that they were parking their vehilce at their own risk.

Staff made a difficult situation feel even worse.

Brilliant!

by TripAdvisor Member Pamlw111

A beautiful hotel, warm and welcoming. Excellent room and meals were lovely. Not far from centre of Chester and will definitely stay again. Can't fault it at all it was honestly the best hotel I've stayed in to date!

Comments