St. John's Street, Chester, Cheshire, CH1 1HL, United Kingdom
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel

Needs a fair lick of paint

by TripAdvisor Member Sinclairo

Having finally booked (despite MacDonalds ring-back service on their website failing to ring us back) we were looking forward to staying at Blossoms where we enjoyed a pleasant visit many years ago.
Upon entering it was immediately apparent the hotel has taken a big downward turn since Macdonalds took over from Forte, (it was previously a Forte Heritage). The decor is very old, nicotine stained throughout reception and public areas. Carpets are old and tired, walls and doors bashed by seemingly centuries of suitcases. MacDonalds clearly don't have a decoration department at this hotel.
The room we stayed in had a hot, dry atmosphere. Although the end of October, and cold outside, the sash window was fully open when we arrived but amazingly the big heating pipes and something underneath the room (a blast furnace ?) kept the room very warm (too warm). The doors on the landing would band very loud whenever any passed.
The bathroom was mouldy and had some cracked tiles.
The porter in the morning was a really nice guy (a contrast to the sour faced girl who greeted us previously), the location is excellent except for the car parking which is a 5 minute walk away, and Chester has got a great choice of bars & restaurants for all age groups.
Not sure what the bar was like - the whole of reception stank of cigarette/cigar smoke coming from this room, so we gave it a miss.
The hotel used to be clean & smart, but unfortunaely not any more. MacDonalds obviously rely on the passing trade in Chester and get away without having to invest in this hotel.
We stayed for just 1 night and travelled to Liverpool airport in the morning, Chester being a great stopover place, ideal for a night out before flying from either Liverpool or Manchester.

Tired but central!

by TripAdvisor Member MrsMac2000

Nice hotel but very very tired, the rooms were really quite grubby, we stayed in room 314 which was a nice large twin room and the main areas were clean however the curtains were really disgusting, thick with dust and obviously NEVER been cleaned.
Breakfast on Saturday morning was a bit of a farce, we waited 30 minutes for our breakfast, everyone in the restaurant was complaining - they just didn't have enough staff to cope with busy periods. When it did arrive it was very nice, wonderful black pudding, fresh toast (nice bread not the 10p a loaf kind) which was a nice suprise.

Location: Can't get much better than this for location, right in the centre of Chester, turn left out of the hotel and at the bottom of the road youv'e got all the nice restaurants.

(However it IS on a one way street which is fine when dropping off your bags) but under no circumstances try and return with your car back to the hotel on a Saturday afternoon in November!!! You have to drive throught the pedestrianised streets, I was sworn at, shaken fists, etc! I would definitely advise you to take all your bags to the car (not too far to walk to the car park) even if it takes you three trips! The hotel does have a deal with the car park, £6 per day which is pretty good for Chester parking.

I go to Chester every year with my sister for Christmas shopping and this is the first time we have stayed in this hotel, a great hotel for location (we pay with Tesco clubcard vouchers - otherwise we would not have paid the going rate)
We would stay again...even though it does have it's faults.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member vivacioussarah

This hotel has just had a £3m refurbishment and it is great. It is centrally located in the town.

We stayed in a lovely room on the 3rd floor which was over 2 levels (room 307). The bathroom was huge and the decoration lovely. Due to the hotel only re-opening on the 4th April we had a cracking deal - £99 for DBB and a free bottle of champagne (for 2 people).

Every member of staff was friendly yet professional and made our stay feel very special.

The restaurant food was based on British cuisine and if this is your thing it was very well done. The breakfast was also lovely with the very best ingredients.

There were a few teething problems with electrics in the room, but this in no way spoilt the stay as the staff dealt with them efficiently and pleasantly.

All in all a lovely hotel.

Much improved from previous reviews

by TripAdvisor Member Kalek

Having booked this hotel before reading previous reviews, we were concerned that we had made a big mistake. However our worries were completely unfounded. The hotel has been beautifully refurbished, the staff were friendly and welcoming,and the food was excellent . We stayed midweek and despite having a room overlooking the main street it was quiet, though I think this would be different at the weekend- as you might you expect for such a central location. The only problem we had was finding the hotel by car- when you get to the road barrier ask at the kiosk,and if you have a hotel reservation you can get through,otherwise the ring road is a maze!

Refurbished

by TripAdvisor Member GrahamF

Like other recent reviewers, we found this hotel much improved from pre-refurbishment reviews. They are still having some teething problems (breakfast was pretty slow) but I suspect that as these disappear so will the great deals. This is a city centre hotel without its own parking and we gave up trying to find our own way in and phoned reception who talked us in over our mobile. Once found it's easy subsequently. Rooms are great and we had two. The first was on the rear corner of St Johns Street and it was very noisy. No A/C so global warming dictated that windows had to be left open even in April!! The problem arose about 6am when lorries started to arrive for building works down St Johns Street and delivery vehicles (complete with refrigeration units and reversing bips) for Marks & Spencer bays to rear of hotel. Make sure you get a room without a view of M&S! Having complained about the noise we were moved to a very nice, quiet room with the minimum of fuss.

You heard it here - if you can see St Johns Street or M&S delivery bays out of your bedroom window - get a move or some ear plugs and a discount.

Subject to room qualification (which cannot apply to more than ten rooms to varying degrees), this hotel has to warrant a far higher ranking than 40th, which is where it stands at time of writing.

Brilliant weekend base to tour Chester

by TripAdvisor Member hallicks

We arrived at the Blossoms on one of the most glorious sunny days. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly and within minutes of arriving in the room we were presented with a bottle of champage on ice. Rooms are beautifully furnished with comfy beds and flat screen tv., bathroom was spacious and luxurious. After spending the afternoon touring some of the city centre sights (and bistro's) we decided to take a boat ride and it was the icing on the cake! Living not far from Chester it is amazing how we take these areas for granted and don't take the time to enjoy them. Dinner at the hotel was perfect and the breakfast on Sunday morning provided everything that anyone could ask for. Lots of different fresh fruits and different breads along with traditional breakfasts. The central position of the hotel makes it an ideal base for tourists and I would like to say a very big Thank you to all the staff at the hotel for making our weekend very enjoyable. The weather was an added bonus!!

Well worth a visit

by TripAdvisor Member craigx

After reading reviews prior to the refurbishment we were concerned that it was asking a little to much to get it up to the standard they claimed.
We need not have worried, the hotel has been upgraded to a very high standard, although you do need to remember that it is a very old building.
I have to agree with other reviews that finding the hotel by car is a nightmare but the receptionist was very helpful with directions.
All the staff were very friendly on what was obviously a very busy weekend for them.
The rooms are very tastefully decorated, and well equiped.
The food was traditional English which without being exciting was very nice, and the table service excellent.
In general the hotel had a very relaxed feel about it and a great location for seeing the City.
This was my first time in Chester and it is lovely, well worth a visit.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member nattersw

We have just returned from an overnight stay at the Blossoms hotel. The location of the hotel is perfect, right in the centre; the staff were friendly; the room was very clean (newly decorated) with everything you need. Our rate included breakfast and there was a great choice. We would definately stay at this hotel again.

Be aware of extra expense

by TripAdvisor Member claras64

I booked this hotel for my parent's 40th Wedding Anniversary, as they had spent their honeymoon at the same hotel. I asked the hotel if there was anything they could do for my parents as it was a special occasion - I was told that the hotel could put a bottle of champagne in their room.

When I was debited for the room I was also debited for the champagne - the room £145, the champagne £35 - so £180 in total. When I contacted the hotel I was told I should have been offered chocolates or fruit as a complimentary gift as they do not provide champagne as a gift. I was not told about either of these free items - only the item for which I was later charged although I had been led to believe it would be as a gift from the hotel. I have not been refunded the money.

To anyone else booking for a special occasion -beware of asking for complimentary items which you may be charged for at a later date.

I have stayed with Macdonald hotels on a number of occasions but unfortunately this incident, and the way I have been treated my staff at the hotel since have ensured that I shall not be using them again.

Great re-furb, hard to find, good breakfast, let down by the reception staf

by TripAdvisor Member Mini-breaker

We stayed in the Macdonald Blossom Hotel in July 2007. We spent two nights and overall enjoyed our stay and would reccomend it to anyone.

The refurbishment is excellent, the hotel has lots of old features including a beautiful staircase but has been modernised with Harlequin fabrics and wallpaper and a modern / traditional blend.

First point as has been made by many others is that this hotel is EXTREMELY difficult to find, you have to negotiate one way systems, city walls and pedestrianised streets to get there. I would reccomend parking in the NCP car park around the corner which is easily accessible and walking the 100yds to the hotel. I called twice whilst being lost in the city centre and the receptionist seemed surprised that I couldn't get there which is ridiculous!

The check in procedure was fine but the receptionist was bordering on rude and reeled off a speach about breakfast etc that sounded as if she was reading from a script, there was little personal contact and she was stifling laughter throughout the conversation whilst talking to her colleague who was stood behind me which I found unprofessional to say the least!

The service through the rest of the hotel was good to excellent. Our barman was friendly and helpful and the breakfast waiting staff were efficient and polite.

The room itself did not have a great aspect as it overlooked an internal courtyard but friends stayed in rooms overlooking the street and had a lot of noise whereas my sleep was undisturbed. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. There were tea and coffee facilities though no mini-bar. Toiletries were provided which were unremarkable. The bathroom was clean and overall cleanliness was good.

We used the hotel bar a few times but found it almost unbearable as they seemed to play Katie Melua on a loop, we did ask them to change the CD but this was not done.

Breakfast was excellent with a very wide selection of cheeses and ham, fresh breads. Fruit selection, yoghurts and pastries. Cooked breakfast was made to order and included traditional english and kippers. Everyone seemed pleased with their breakfast.

The location is excellent being just near to the city walls, in the middle of the shopping and bar area. Chester itself is excellent for shopping.

As a final point, whilst I was waiting in reception (because my key was decativated after one day - annoying given the long walk to the room) a gentleman came down to say that he had paid extra for chocolates, flowers, champagne and luxury toiletries as a surprise for his wife. None of this was in his room. It kind of spoils the moment when you have to go down and ask for things you expect on arrival but when he had gone back up to his room after 100 questions the rude receptionist was speaking to her colleague saying 'we don't even have chocolates and luxury toiletries what does he expect me to do go to the shop?'. Not a very good comment to make in front of guests.

I would stay here again but would never pay for extras and would like to see a better standard of service on reception as it marred an otherwise excellent stay.

Exterior (1)Exterior (1)