Mollington Banastre Hotel and Spa

Rated 21% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Mollington Banastre Hotel and Spa

A refreshing change

by TripAdvisor Member Hols99

We recently stayed at the Mollington Banastre Hotel based on the outskirts of Chester - it was fabulous!
The hotel has recently been taken over by a company called Brook Hotels and also has a new General Manager and I have to say that our experience over the weekend was one to positively remember.
We were welcomed at Reception with a glass of pimms, every member of staff that we came into contact with were pleasant with lots of smiles and very helpful service.
Our room, which overlooked the grounds, was nicely decorated and quite spacious.
The Leisure facilities, especially the spa was fantastic, offering a wide range of treatments.
Although the hotel was very busy it was a really relaxing and enjoyable break away and we really didn't want to come home. We will definitely return and also recommend.

Over-priced

I was expecting very high standards given that this hotel has a four-star AA rating. However, I found the service very slow and not particularly friendly. Evening meal on the first night of a 48-hour stay was extremely poor. I won't be going back.

Bit of a dump really

by TripAdvisor Member Matthotelreview

I don't have anything particularly adverse to say about this place, its just simply a bit of a dump. I stayed here with my girlfriend and 2 mates in June for 2 nights for a bit of a break.
The hotel looks shocking from the outside, you arrive and think you have driven into a council estate. However the inside is much nicer and lifts your spirits slightly.
The hotel has a small pool and Jacuzzi which is a welcome addition. It also has 2 squash courts which are also very impressive. However the staff are lazy and don't show much interest in being there, you have to go and find a somebody at reception if you want a drink from the bar, even then it seems like your putting them out.
The breakfast was quite tasteless, a full English with burnt sausages (both days) was the highlight.
Over all this is the type of hotel you might stay in for a conference, it has no personality, little warmth and is just generally quite bland.

Changed hands - but still poor

by TripAdvisor Member Mstoast

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel, and overall I would rate it negatively.
The room I was in was like a sauna; I could not log on to my work's remote network (due to a low cost 0845 number that appeared to be barred by the hotel); the food in the leisure club was ok if you are prepared to wait 45 minutes for a burger! (Thankfully I didn't order a starter - those who did got their main course first!)
The table was also dirty and staff were not up to the standard I expect of a 4 star hotel.
The ladies shower area in the leisure facilities was grubby and smelly.
On the plus side, room was nicely refurbed and breakfast was good.
The hotel is now a member of Brooks Hotels rather than Best Western.

unbelievably noisy

by TripAdvisor Member royster44

Booked a room at a "special wedding guest" rate so we could stay there after a wedding reception. The special rate means you are put in a room which is directly over the reception disco. The walls of this place are paper thin so we were disturbed all evening by the disco and whispering, tip-toeing neighbours. Although courteous, the staff were unable to offer any viable alternative or discount for our overpriced room, despite us having a very upset 5 month old baby. We left at 11pm to go home for a good night's sleep. 4 stars? You cannot be serious!

very nice

by TripAdvisor Member garneyb

We have just returned from the hotel 6 girls from our local toddler group on a pamper weekend. We have had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. The hotel was lovely from start to finish. We booked two family rooms which were on the top floor but they were clean , reasonably large and nice bathrooms. The spa area was lovely we all had nice treatments and enjoyed our swim sauna jacuzzi etc . The pool was lovely and warm! . We had dinner in the hotel and this was excellent a nice choice and the staff really couldnt do enough for us. Breakfast too was excellent and plenty of choice hot or cold. After reading the reviews we were slightly worried but we think that as this hotel has recntly changed hands they have maybe got their act together. We would all certainly stop there again next yearfor another weekend of pampering and relaxation.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Pristina

My Mum and I stayed at the hotel (we picked it for it proximity to Chester and the leisure facilities on offer) and we were not disappointed. We requested a twin room, but actually were given a suite at no extra charge! There were robes in the room to use free of charge.The staff were friendly and helpful, the facilities great, the food wonderful (we ate in the Lounge in the evening). In all, I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Would make a good 3* hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member LittleOl

This hotel would make a good 3* hotel but for some strange reason it has 4*s.

After eventually finding the hotel (which was our problem and not theirs) we arrived at the hotel which looked nothing like the picture on the website. I thought that it had huge grounds but it is actually on a main road and looks pretty shabby. The entrance, reception and bar look very modern and are very nice. We were greeted by helpful and friendly members of staff and all started well. We were allocated room 3 and sent upstairs.

As we got to the first small landing we discovered that the barrier at the top was not actually fixed to the wall and if anyone, especially elderly people, leant against it, they'd fall down the stairs! We climbed the creaky staircase and found our room. At first glance it looked a bit shabby (old furniture) but was average. After failing to close the curtains properly I investigated to discover that the rail had not been fitted properly and the curtains were catching on sticking out screws. The bed was ok but a bit small. The advert said that there was satalite TV but this was sky news and two sports channels. Channel 5 didn't exist and the news channel had disappeared by the following morning. The walls had damp at the top. The bathroom was huge and clean.

We'd booked a seat at the restaurant so that we didn't have to travel into town. I'd read the comments on this site about the service being slow but didn't really think they could be that slow - THEY WERE! We arrived at 7.45 but they had no spare menus even though there were very few people seated. We eventually ordered our food and drinks. The drinks eventually arrived and were long finished by the time the starter arrived after 8.30 - over 45 minutes!!! I had the soup but had to ask for a bread bun as we were not given any. The main course was very chewey and when I told the waitress she didn't seem to care less. Dessert was average but not fantastic. The bill was nearly £60!!!!

We retired to our room but could hear the noise from the restaurant for quite some time. During the night the light from the corridors shone through the huge gap at the bottom of the door. At breakfast we went down and they were running out of food. Despite having a large queue for the cooked breakfast they didn't bring enough food at first but luckily we were near the front of the queue.

Overall I have stayed in other 4* hotels that outshine this one completely. It needs to be re-thought and modernised and the staff need to speed up considerably. Although the general stay was average the actual value for money did not exist. The hotel was well overpriced and I am about to write to the manageress to complain which is something I would not really do. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

lets hope the take over makes a difference!

by TripAdvisor Member jenki

My boyfriend and I had booked into the hotel for his birthday as we had trip planned to the races. I had booked a deluxe room and were to stay for 2 nights.

We arrived on the Thursday evening - met by what I can only describe as a teenage adolescent boy with 'bumfluff' greasy hair and a cocky attitude. We were told where our room was. The room itself was supposed to be a deluxe - fabulous big window but that was about it. The bed was so close to the floor I feared it was fall through plus it did not look very well made - more of a throw together, cobweb on the uplight and a very strange smell. We did not unpack but headed straight to the bar.

At the bar - whilst looking for someone to serve us, was a customer from the resturant complaining that he had sent his chicken back to the kitchen some 40 mins back as the chicken was not cooked and nobody had come back to him. The resturant only had two table occupied from what we could see (9pm). Obviously we were not going to eat there!

We decided that we could not stay and after 30 mins in the hotel we checked out. On a positive side they did offer to move us but we just could not face it. It was like faulty towers without the comedy of Basil and Sybill!!

On the final checking out, adolescent was making the paper order and promptly then slammed down the phone and told the 'phone' to promptly [--]. Professional then.

The problem appeared to be that the staff appeared to be all kids with a playground attitude.

Iv meant to write a review for a time but never had the chance Iv noticed that the hotel has been taken over - lets hope they make drastic changes. Although I cannot see that we would ever go back.

excellent hotel

by TripAdvisor Member flower85

excellent friendly staff.
lovey rooms, very modern and clean.
buffet breakfast allowed for excellent choice in food. not walking distance to chester but taxis are about 5 pound each way.

Interior (3)Interior (3)