20-24 City Road, Chester, CH1 3AE, United Kingdom

The Town HallThe Town Hall

Chester RacecourseChester Racecourse

Good pub guide

by prisoner

Greetings fellow travellers. There are 12 adults all planing to meet for a weekend in Chester. We are a varied bunch, so specific places are out. (I'm a rock fan, but if we went to a rock pub, 11 of our group would be unhappy). We are there Friday & Saturday in late April. Where should we drink? and where should we avoid? Accomodation is sorted in the CH2 area and we'll be walking.(or staggering if you catch me driff)

RE: Good pub guide

by Deus_ultima

I like the Slug and Lettuce.

The Watergates (Old roman thing, cool atmosphere) and the Bar Lounge are just next to each other and both are really cool.

But at both places you should dress fairly smart and make sure your able to get out standing rather than crawling..

by Ritchie_Lionheart

Hello Ioan,

What exactly do you mean in Britain when refering to "dressing fairly smart". Brits in general are not known to be very elegantly dressed, unlike Italians, French or Spanish to name some examples.I also found this request for formal dress - no jeans please - on Newcastle parties and night clubs. But whenever I found pictures of these places, most of the (male) guests seemed to be in jeans and T-shirts, certianly not in suit and tie. Thanks for your help.
Richard

by prisoner

Thanx Deus, This thing washes off when I'm not at a festival, and my hair has grown to a full 4mm now. Yeah, we'll behave ourselves. Two ladies are flying over from Norway and Alex & I are from Manchester. Best behavior all round :o)

by prisoner

Hi Ritchie, Not wearing jeans like mine I bet!! I know what you mean tho. Most of my jeans go all the way down to the top of my 17 hole cherry red Doc Martin boots. I'll dress smart on this weekend. You probably wouldn't even recognise me.

RE: Good pub guide

by Rachael71

Try The Old Boot on Eastgate Street - it's on the upper row on the right hand side as you walk from the clock on the bridge towards the market crosses. It's a more traditional pub (no slot machines, no karaoke etc.), the beer is reasonably priced and the food isn't bad either. It's quite interesting inside too, with one of the walls stripped back to reveal part of the original wattle and daub.

I'd avoid Brannigans myself (beyond the clock in the opposite direction), which is a music bar - very loud and packed and not a place you'd go if you're wanting to catch up with people for a chat (because you won't be able to hear them!)

Have a good time!

Travel Tips for Chester

Town Hall

by sandysmith

Chester's Town Hall, in Northgate St, is a good place to start and the Tourist Information centre is right next door if you need maps and guides etc..

in fact you can pick up a free City Centre Attractions Guide for money-saving vouchers on museum visits and places to eat in the tourist office.

ruins of St. Johns

by Jonathan_C

For a quiet moment in a beautiful spot you should stop at the ruins of old St. John's, between the Roman Garden and Grosvenor Park. This site has been sacred since at least the seventh century and the soothingly warm arches and walls, open to the sky, continue to provide an inviting space for contemplation.

Walk the walls of history

by jhorsfield30

A pleasure and a good walk for a group.

Personally, I came here with a group of about 8 people and we all split up and brought a lunch to munch when we were tired later. Some great sights and not too cramped.

Chester Cathedral

by Rachael71

The 11th century Cathedral is just off the main shopping street and is one of the main attractions of Chester. If you're looking for a little peace, then just take ten minutes to sit in one of the gardens and watch the world go by, before heading inside to take in the architecture. The huge cost of maintaining the building means that it is no longer free of charge to enter, and the Diocese asks that you make a contribution if you visit (I believe the recommended sum is around £4).

Look out for a fabulous quilt inside the cathedral that depicts the Chester Mystery Plays. It was made in the early 1990s by an American artist and is a true work of art and craftsmanship. It was stolen from the Cathedral a couple of years ago but fortunately was found and returned safely, and is now on view in a much more secure position for us all to enjoy.

Visitors are welcome to join the services at the Cathedral. If you are able to spend Christmas in Chester then I can recommend the 12 lessons and carols on Christmas Eve - but get there early, because the building is packed to the rafters and you might not get in!

Roman headstones

by Jonathan_C

Headstones are always fascinating but the old ones are often too badly weathered to make out very much. What a treat to have these well preserved tombstones from 2000 years ago in such an attractive display in the Grosvenor museum.

Be still for a moment before the altar to Nemesis, goddess of fate. Of all the thousands of legionaries that were stationed at Deva we know the names and brief stories of only a handful. Can it really be blind chance that has selected these few for immortality? And what will be the fate of our own stories? Will they all ultimately be lost like sunken treasure in a flood of information? Or will another dark age winnow our billions down to a handful of web pages that live on in some virtual museum of the future? Commune for a while with these stones and you may find that they have much to say.

Comments