Ramada Hotel Chester

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Not bad

Myself and my partner stayed here for two nights. The hotel was lovely and the staff were very pleasant. The only downfalls I had were that 1. I'm a smoker, we booked a smoking room and upon check in were not informed that there wasn't a smoking room available. I asked my partner to double check with reception that our room was smoking as I hadn't come across an ashtray in the room. He returned to me to tell me that their smoking rooms were fully booked. It's a good job he checked otherwise I'd have been charged £75 on our room bill for smoking in a non smoking room. This then led to me having to traipse halfway around the hotel to go down for a smoke.....very eerie at 2am on your own. Also the heat was a little uncomfortable in the room and when we plugged in the desk fan we were provided with the amount of dust that came off it played havoc with my sinuses most of the first day. Other than this it was a lovely stay there and we will definately be booking there again soon on the basis that we can have a smoking room.

• Sightseeing in Chester

This hotel was easy to find and a pleasant walk into a truly beautiful City. There were lots of parking places. The check in/out staff were efficient and friendly.
    The room was a huge disappointment. It was the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in with very limited storage. Virtually all of the desk was taken up by the tv, keyboard, kettle, hairdrier and fan, so there was nowhere to put anything. Bags and suitcases could not be easily stored either. The bathroom was tiny and had a weird smell, though the towels were large and soft.
    There was no air conditioning and the room was incredibly hot, making sleep difficult. There was a fan, but it was very noisy. The windows did not open very far, though I could see others that did.
    We dropped something on the floor and when we looked under the bed there was a piece of chewing gum and a very dusty beer glass under it. The bed itself was a standard size, but comfortable with nice pillows.
    The bar area was cool and pleasant. Food in the Arts restaurant was excellent and the garden at the rear attractive.
    We will not be staying in this hotel again, though I would recommend the restaurant.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

A night in Chester

The visit to the hotel was necessary due to our meeting with Chester based Digital Video specialists first thing in the morning.

The hotel was apparently the best in Chester. I am not so sure about this, but as ever I should leave it to any other VTer who stays there to comment upon it from their experiences.

It was comfortable enough, but the room I had was small, and sadly the shower had mould growing in the tiles.

Unique Quality: The hotel has 126 rooms and some fitness and swimming facilities. The Arts Grill (Restaurant) has a reasonable menu, but with many UK hotel restaurants you seem to have to have ordered your food by about 22.30. We just managed it.

The food was reasonable, but a little expensive - staff were friendly. Breakfast was in the same place and it was busier, but was nothing special, the coffee was not so good.

Directions: 1.5 miles from Chester City Centre

More about Ramada Hotel Chester

Good Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MezandJonks

My wife and I stayed at the Ramada, Chester August Bank Holiday. The hotel was busy as there was racing at Chester. We upgraded to a studio room having read reports on this site. The room was clean and modern but be warned there is little room to hang you clothes. The studio rooms have adjoing rooms that were sepreated by two doors. The problem with this is that you can here your next door neighbours, particularily when they are loud Americans, who at 5am were getting ready to go out for the day and for next two hours we heard everyword they said!!
Breakfast at the hotel was very enjoybale and fresh. The hotel is situated about 1.5miles from the town centre and cost on avegae £4-5 each way in a cab. However about 150yards from the Hotel is a park and ride that costs £1.50 per person for a retun, the bus runs every ten minutes so in the daytime I would recommend using this service. Chester has aloads of shops and there are some good bars off the side streets if you want to avoid wetherspoons type pubs. I would stay at this Hotel agaian and would recommned Chester for a very good break and weekend

Be Warned For Weddings!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Lightsnack

It has just been my wedding anniversary and reminded me of my dreadful stay at this hotel in July 2005. I felt compelled to warn people who are thinking of using this venue for their wedding.

I booked their best suite (room at the top) for 2 nights for my wedding a year in advance. As I was getting married in church and using a different reception venue, I checked that if they took a wedding booking on the same date actually at the hotel, that I could still have the best suite. They said it was definitely mine as it was on a first come first served basis and the manager double checked that there were no other weddings booked at present on that day.

Three weeks before my wedding I started ringing round all my bookings to double check everything was okay. From my first phone call to the Ramada there seemed to be some confusion as to which suite I had booked. I had actually viewed all suites and this was the only one suitable (having two seperate rooms) as the night before my wedding my two bridesmaids were staying with me.

We were finally told that we couldn't have the suite we had booked on the first night, but only on the second! We were swopped to a suite right next to the bar with only one room.

After a meeting with the manager (in the middle of the bar!) she offered us one night free and an ajoining room to the changed suite for my bridesmaids. These 2 nights orinally came to £300! and thats all she offered. They didn't even call us to warn us that this had happened and if I hadn't have called I would have only found out the night before my wedding!

We basically told her that for ruining our wedding the least she could do was waver the total fee and she agreed (after much persuasion). When it is for your wedding - money is not the issue, it is the principle of it ,but we were not going to pay for something we did not book - A YEAR AGO!

We were also promised champagne and chocolates and the roomed dressed for a wedding on both nights and that they would move our things to the other suite on the changeover. My concern was with the room before my wedding night being next to the bar (Christleton suite) being noisy but I was assured it was sound proof.

The room in fact was very noisy all night as the bed was right next to a corridor and stairwell where people gathered, chatted and stomped up and down the stairs all night!

I ended up sleeping in the ajoining room with my bridesmaids. We also then had the hassle as I was trying to get ready for my 3pm wedding of having to pack everything up to be moved to the originally booked suite.

The whole thing was a joke and we would have cancelled the whole thing if we hadn't have arranged a horse & carriage to pick me and my dad up there and it was just too short notice to arrange anything else.

In the end myself and my husband managed to get booked into a country hotel an Tattenhall (The Pheasant) for our wedding night (which was wonderful) and my chief bridemaid and her partner stayed in the Room at the Top suite. She told me the next day that I made the right decision as the suite was not dressed for a wedding and there were no chocolates and champagne!

It didn't wreck my wonderful wedding day, but this dreadful hotel caused me stress beyond belief.

BE WARNED! I have learned my lesson and will never stay in a Ramada hotel again. I am a Chester resident and there are many other lovely hotels and top quality B&Bs in Chester so steer clear of here!

4****?

by TripAdvisor Member Sam_Jones68

We booked via internet for my husband and i to stay at this hotel for my birthday. The hotel did not look anything like the photos on the internet. the receptionist was wearing an untidy suit which was much too big for him. After walking down the extremely narrow corridor, which was strewn with dirty sheets, to our room we were not entirely surprised at what we found. the room was very small, basic and dusty. the decor was orange and green with big garish patterns on everything. We went back to reception and asked for our money back. the cost was £149 for one night in double room with champagne recpeption. I refused to stay it was just awful. hopefully i will get my money back eventually.

Poor poor poor

by TripAdvisor Member Droggs

Just back from another terrible stay in this hotel. My company gets a discount from the chain and so I have no option but to use it.

If you are on your own you get a dull dingy room. The reception service is invariably poor perticularly if you arrive lateish.

Breakfast. Well unless you are down first thing everything tends to be dry and crispy.

My 4th stay and I am only 50/50 regarding a request to arrange a taxi. Twice reception said "sorry we have been busy but will do it now". Once was an hour after I asked originally.

I dread having to go back but there is good news my company has allowed me to chose my own hotel in Chester in future. Thank you.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Happytraveller72

Fantastic Hotel....despite it being very busy with a wedding, they still treated everyone the same....you can tell just from the staff how much they enjoy working here, they were all happy and smiling

It is always best to contact the hotel directly, instead of booking via internet, as they will always match the internet rates, and in my case they bettered it. I would recommend that you book a studio room, well worth the extra £20.00

Abosultely Awful !!!!

by TripAdvisor Member AmyConcannonChester

The hotel bar, restaurant and reception area are all lovely, very modern and clean but the rooms (the bit which counts) are easily the worst i have EVER stayed in!! The room which i paid £100 for per night was revolting! I have stayed in B & B's which are nicer!

The coridoors leading to the bathroom are like something off a ship, long, narrow and out of date!!

The bedroom was so small i couldnt belive they are allowed to call it a room, the walls were dirty, one of the lamp shades was torn, there was a large hole in the ceiling where i assume electrical work had been carried out, the decor was old fashioned and seriously needed updating, the bed was a 3/4 and not even a full oduble and was very uncomfroatble and the room in general was small, pokey, dark and needed a good clean!

The bathroom was ever worse!! It was so small u had to stand behind the door to close it, the grouting was black, the bathroom suite was an awful 1970's pinky colour and only 1 light bulb workled so we had to bathe in the dark, we did ask reception to come and change the blown bulbs but nobody came.

I would seriously advise people to not waste their money staying here, im sure the delux rooms may be like the pictures which keep coming up on all websites but the rooms you actually get are no better than hostel!!

We complained to reception upon checkout and they reluctantly gave us £10 back!

Disguting hotel and disgusting staff!! never EVER again!!!!!

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Mr&MrsC.I.A

The location of the hotel is just outside Chester (2 miles or so), but still ideal if visiting the city. There is a park and ride 2 minute walk away, a bus into the city is £1.50 return. In the evening we got a taxi (booked via reception) which cost us £5 each way. There is a Harvester Pub across the road, which is idea to eat in if you arrive late and don't want to travel into the town.
We stayed in a studio room, which was modern, but smallish in size. (the hotel used to be a great western/travel lodge, you can tell by the room size). Our room had an iron, trouser press and Tigi hairdryer, which is handy! The health club facilitys were OK. The pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room were fine, but the changing facilities were a bit minging. The showers had anti-clorine shower gel/shampoo dispensers, cleanser and moisturiser despensers. There were hairdryers on the wall -but only one worked.
Bar was expensive (as in all Ramada hotels), breakfast was good, large selection.
Overall, a good hotel, enjoied our stay.

Comments