Moorside Grange

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

Location, Location, Location.

This BEST WESTERN Hotel is located on the edge of the High Peak District.
    We approached from Macclesfield, Kettleshulme, Whaley Bridge and then the A6 towards Disley. It was a beautiful afternoon, countryside I had not seen for a long time was at its best - new born lambs gambolled in the fields.
    We spotted the hotel from some distance away beacause of its commanding position.
    The entrance and reception area quite grand but with the homely feel of an old grange farm.

We had reserved a twin room with a view but our key opened the door to a room with a small double bed that looked like a 4ft. and only half a view.
    Not a good start.

We were transferred to a twin room on the floor above that looked out over the flat roof of the working part of the hotel.
    We had got a Last Minute Deal but the room was not as good as we might have had in a Premier Inn, Innkeepers Lodge or Travelodge . But it was clean and we were only there for one night......
    But thank goodness we were not paying the advertised, exorbitant rack rate !

The restaurant was fairly basic in layout and design, a posh canteen sums it up. Rather noisy with lots of large groups and family parties.. It quietened down as people left for the bar, bed or the pool and spa.
    My lamb shank was OK, but I'd love to know how to make a red wine "jus" achieve that black colour. Looked like a slip of the hand with the browning bottle to me.
    John's steak was only just passable. Wine prices were horrific. £19.95 for an undistinguished Cabernet Sauvignon that was one of the cheapest on the list .
    Service from the waitress lacked both finesse and a smile, though a male manager did his best to keep people happy.

I guess conferences and wedding receptions may be what keeps this hotel running in straightened times, with special offers to attract families to the pool, spa, and 9 hole Pitch n' Putt Course and glorious walks in the countryside.

A great pity because the location is stunning, and the old part of the building is very interesting - originally an old farm, then a B&B, a Golf Course and finally a pub - before becoming an Hotel and Spa.

I really hope it survives.....

Unique Quality: Location and old building.

More about Best Western Moorside Grange

Superb value, friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member SatisfiedEngland

We have just returned from our 3rd stay at Moorside Grange and once again were impressed with the staff, food and general ambiance of the hotel. It is set in a superb location and many attractions are in easy driving distance of the hotel. There are some beautiful walks from the hotel or catch the little diesel train from Disley Station to Manchester or Buxton. We can recommend Helen (serves breakfast) as a great source of tourist information !! she is extremely friendly and always makes time for a chat.

If you want an excellent value break in a superb setting go to Moorside Grange.

Terrible experience

by TripAdvisor Member Traveller086

If you are thinking of visiting the Moorside Grange, make sure there isn't a wedding there during your stay.

We stayed there for 2 nights. On the first night there was a wedding at the hotel. Even though we had nothing to do with the wedding, we were put in a first floor room directly above the main hall where the wedding reception was being held. There was continuous loud music
coming up through the floor. When we contacted reception about the noise, we were told that the reception would carry on until half past
midnight. They said they didn't think we'd mind the noise. When we finally persuaded them to move us to another room, this had to be an upgrade as it was the only free room in the hotel. When we came to pay on checking out, rather that apologising or offering a discount for the inconvenience, they actually tried to charge us for the upgrade.

We also made the mistake of dining in the hotel restaurant on the evening of the wedding. The service was appalling - the staff kept disappearing and didn't even understand the menu. The kitchen staff were clearly no better - the food had clearly come out of a tin (my starter appeared to be Heinz minestrone) and a microwave, for £30 a head.

Breakfast the next morning was no better - the queues were huge, hardly any staff were there and the buffet breakfast was not being replenished - there was no cutlery at all left at one point.

A terrible experience and we'll certainly never go back.

Great location, friendly staff, but.......

I stayed at the Moorside Grange on two seperate nights in May. Its is perfectly located for walking in beautiful countryside, and is near the start of the excellent Gritstone Trail.
I stayed in rooms 129 and then 118; I would not stay in these rooms again. They back on to, I believe, the filitration plant for the swimming pool area. Though the rooms were pleasant enough, they were rather hot. With the window open the machinery noise was shocking. Even when closed there was a constant drone, like an especially noisy air conditioning unit.
I had dinner once. The roast beef seemed to have been roasted for several hours, while the cauliflower was hot, but so raw I couldn't easily get my fork into it.
For anyone on business be aware that mobile phone reception is patchy at best. I managed an occasion signal on Vodafone. My friend had no signal at all (not sure of network).
Having made those negative comments, the hotel has some redeeming features. Breakfast was very decent, especially the hot section.The pool & spa area was also pleasant, with an adults only section which was very relaxing.
The biggest positive would be the staff. I found every single one of them to have a great, friendly and helpful attitude. This actually made a big difference to my stay.
I would be happy staying again; I got a decent rate through Expedia. However, I would not accept a room near the pool, especially on the first floor. I would also dine elsewhere (Disley itself is a four pound cab fare).

good time again

by TripAdvisor Member bobthestag

we stayed on a dinner bed and breakfast package for 2 nights in jan. we have stayed here about 6 times in the past and it is never the same expierience. one big warning for everyone is be extra careful when going down the steps to the sauna area as they are like ice when wet. they used to have matting on them when it was a hilton hotel but alas, now its gone. my partner went head over heels down about 8 steps and did some nasty damage to her ribs and bum (ouch). she is a fit girl so how older people negotiate the steps is a concern. anyway, moan over. we always have a good time here, the setting is great and we have often played tennis with snow on the moors and sheep as your only spectators. they have closed one bar upstairs now so people use the main bar which is good cos its now open all day. the piano player is a laugh and he is very good.(when he is concentrating he looks like robin williams).. we always charge everything to our room cos nearly everytime they miss something off the bill. which given the over priced drinks etc is always a bonus. the restaurant menu is now very limited with only 4 choices but it is beautiful food none the less. the staff are very good as a whole which is nice. we did have to move rooms because the electric blew but we were moved after a couple of hours. like i said, its never the same up here. once we had a fire alarm about 11pm and had to go outside for about 30 mins. it was comical to see grown men and women asking for those foil sheets what wrap around your shoulders. tut tut.. overall a good hotel with top class leisure facilities and no doubt we will be back again soon enough.

Loved this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DidsburyFamily

After recieving a "Pamper Hamper" from my husband for christmas. I was very excited about indulging in a spot of "time out" for me and my best friend, being a full time working mum of 2 young boys.

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greated with hills and mountins covered in snow making the senery around the hotel just beautiful. The check in staff were wonderful, very friendly and helpful. Our room was very big, clean and looked like it has been recently decorated. it had everything in it that we needed (tea making facilities, lots of clean towel, spare pillows etc).

The "spa" facilities were also well described with lots of modern equipment and the pool and sauna areas were spacious and clean.

Dinning within the hotel was wonderful. Once again the service was excellent and the food was delicious, it arrived promtly & on time.

The Manager (Brenda Green) was just outstanding, she oversaw everystep of our package and went out of her way to make sure our every need was catered for. She was polite and so caring to the point that she went above and beyond her job role.

Relaxing in the hotel bar after dinner was another experiance... their was a pianist playing a varied arrangement of music, which was most enjoyable - to the point of one resident singing along side him (granted she had a wonderful voice).

I would reccommend anyone to stay here for any time of occasion. I can't wait to return - especially if the hotel are still lucky enough to have Brenda!

Beautiful Location, totally spoilt by terrible service

by TripAdvisor Member aimee2525

My Husband booked a two-night stay here for our first anniversary. We had read all the great reviews and were looking forward to a lovely few days away. I am writing this review as our experiences were nothing like what has been written by others!

Two weeks before our stay, I telephoned to book some spa treatments. I was put through to the 'triangle' spa centre. The member of staff on the other end of the phone was very rude and unhelpful, and announced that there were no treatments of any kind available at any time during our stay. He then hung up. I phoned the hotel back to complain. They said there was nothing they could do. Anyway, we booked a day spa in Manchester called 'inner sanctuary' (which was absolutely lovely!) and decided to put it behind us.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted with absolutely fantastic views of the countryside and a very friendly and helpful member of check-in staff called Paul. That is where the praise of this hotel ends...

The room was shabby and dated. We were told it was one of the nicest ones, so I dread to think what the others were like. We were woken at 6.30am by a string of catering deliveries literally throwing boxes of food into the kitchens. Incidentally, they use the same caterers as the comprehensive school where I teach...i'll say no more on that one!

We went to play pitch and put on their 'nine hole' course which turned out to be five holes on a muddy field! The hotel has BT openworld wireless internet and we were given instructions and a login when we checked in. However, my laptop (which I regularly use wirelessly) could detect nothing in the way of any kind of wireless network at all!

We went for a swim in the pool and spa, which was okay, though in major need of refurbishment. The sauna was nice and hot and there was an ice cold plunge pool, which was nice. However, as I waited in the reception area for my husband, I witnessed a large number of the pool staff loudly making fun of various customers in the pool and gym. One of them actually went up to a customer in the gym area and asked him if he "wanted a bigger seat for his fat arse?" The other staff all laughed along. I could not believe it!

It was then on to dinner. We had reserved a table for 8pm and we arrived at 8pm and were left standing at the entrance waiting to be seated for over five minutes, during which time at least four members of the dining room staff walked past us, looked at us, but said nothing. Eventually, someone came over and showed us to our table. We then waited for a further fifteen minutes for someone to take even a drinks order! We then waited for our drinks to arrive and to place our food order. After about ten minutes, we started to try to catch the eye of various members of staff walking past, and then progressed to waving and saying 'excuse me'. We were ignored for half an hour and were on the verge of getting up and leaving if it weren't for the fact that we had already paid for the meal. After HALF AN HOUR more, our drinks finally arrived, with no apology for the delay. We still had no bread rolls (even though staff had walked past us about ten times with the bread basket and we had tried to flag them down). Incidentally, the couple on the table next to us were having the same problem and a family had actually ordered and finished their starters without being served any drinks. When we eventually managed to order our food, there were no white rolls left, and again, there was no aplogy for this. The food itself (which arrived at 9.15pm!) was very poor quality. My husbands starter of 'mushrooms smothered in creamy stilton sauce' turned out to be some tinned mushroom soup with a few mushrooms floating in it and no sign of any stilton. The main course meat was fatty and the vegetables were overdone. The desserts were actually quite nice, although the seperate dessert menu was totally different from the original menu.

After dinner, we went to the bar. We waited for fifteen minutes to be served and for most of this time there was no member of staff on the bar at all. We thought about getting our own drinks! While we were waiting, two guys arrived who had obviously been in the gym. They walked up and commented "oh look, no-one on the bar, as usual!" We eventually got our drinks, which were ridiculously overpriced (I think £3.50 for a beer and £4.00 for a small glass of house wine). There had clearly been nobody clearing tables in the bar and we had to clear one ourselves and they all had empty cups and glasses on them.

On the morning of our anniversary, we asked for two champagne flutes and an ice bucket to be brought to our room at 9pm. As we walked away, we joked about the chances of it actually happening. It didn't.

We then went to breakfast and again waited to be seated, this time for around ten minutes. We joked about not expecting to get seated anytime soon in this place, and another couple who were waiting laughed. No-one took our tea and coffee order so we found someone and asked, getting tutted at in the process. We then had to ask for more plates for the buffet as there were none there. Again, the staff were rude and sullen. Many items had run out (at 9am, breaksfast was until 10am) and the staff did not ask the chef for more until an item had totally gone. We also witnessed a member of staff coming out of the 'in' door to the kitchen. The door swung and hit a lady, who dropped her breakfast plate on the floor! Surprise, just a mumbled apology.

While waiting to check out (yes, you guessed it, for about fifteen minutes!), we heard a lady asking to speak to a manager. She was told "there are no managers here at the moment". Hardly a surprise!

Maybe if there was actually somebody running this hotel, then it could be a lovely place...but we would never, ever go back!

Go if you get a good rate and like the outdoors and fitness

by TripAdvisor Member pintpot

I stay here occasionally when on business in Manchester, because of the location more than anything else. You can literally walk out of the door and on to the open moors which are beautiful. For a walking addict like me, that's brilliant and the quite well-appointed fitness centre and pool are an added bonus.

On the demerit side, the hotel could do with a bit of refurbishment work although it's kept clean. It has quite an old-fashioned feel to it but so long as you can live with that it's fine - rooms and beds are spacious enough and comfortable enough (standard 3* hotel issue, to be honest). Service is a bit patchy, as is the food; don't expect haute cuisine, although the breakfast is pretty good.

What really makes this place is the location, so if you like the outdoors it's a good place to stay. You can also get good rates online (£100 for a 2 night stay is quite achievable), which bump it up from a 3 rating to a 4 in my estimation - if you pay rack rate it would be descending towards a 2.

And i thought it was me!

by TripAdvisor Member BoltonOmar

I am trying to be really objective went to a wedding and that was great but only up to a point.
1. Check in ok but no information about the hotels lay out ie "WHERE IS THE RESTAURANT" WHAT TIME IS BREAKFAST SERVED" WHERE IS THE SPA EXACTLY"and so on.
I rated it offically as ok but some problems and that is being generous.
2. And this is the big one the restaurant waste of space: Walked in on eve of wedding really going to push the boat out Champagne (not rip of prices) etc sat down given Menus 25 minutes later still sat there no staff 26 minutes walked out.
Spoke to maitre de very sorry etc but evening ruined.
Spoke te reception very sorry etc offered to throw in a abottle of wine with room service which was rather a limited menu but have that or go hungry so i ended up with a burger! guess what not even salt and pepper never mind the wine plus three pound for the priveledge of it all, not a happy camper.
Breakfast again a joke no problem day one up as it opened however day two a little later and a queue at the wait here to be seated sign. One could see empty tables but no staff so after another wait enough was enough and in we walked much to the distress of one of the staff but at least we got food to be honest i have had worse.
3. It was obvious that the staff were not to keen on cleaning up
ie tables outside full of bottles dirty glasses for our entire stay plus other incidences of the same.

Don't eat dinner here

by TripAdvisor Member MamaToto

Very attractive property in a lovely location with views. Said to be a onetime Hilton and now BW. The rooms were small and we were unable to control the temperature of the rooms, too hot. Reception staff with "couldn't care less" attitude. "Disabled" access to hotel and restaurant was by means of a chair lift - pretty embarrassing. Don't eat dinner here if you can help it. The worst meal of our whole UK trip and one of the most expensive. VERY confusing menu and appalling service. On the other hand the breakfast buffet in the same dining room was great and was included in our room price. Actually, without the bad dinner experience, the rate was reasonable value for money (54 pounds) compared to other UK accommodation.

Comments