Barcelo Shrigley Hall Hotel

Pott Shrigley, (formerly Paramount), Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK10 5SB, United Kingdom
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Barcelo Shrigley Hall Hotel

I always stay at Shrigley Hall

Good news for business travelers...Shrigley's now got Broadband! They also now have room service. It is a lovely hotel with gorgeous grounds and an interesting history. Please note that it is still an English hotel, so don't expect 700 identical rooms with identical furniture. The hotel is a converted manor house/seminary (with the old church now serving as the gym, and a pool where the pews used to be.) Although I have seen an improvement since Oct 2004, the rooms are stilla bit shabby (the ceiling was peeling in the cornor of mine) but this is still the place I *always* stay when visiting the area for business. Just be aware that you will need to take a taxi to anyplace, including into the nearest village/town.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member l4ur4lou

Just spent a romantic weekend at Shrigley Hall Hotel. It was amazing we were a bit concerned after reading other reports on this site however i would recommend anybody to go. It is an old hotel but the staff are warm, pleasant and cannot do enough for you. We only mentioned on checkin that we were here for our anniversary and half an hour later champagne and strawberries arrived to our room. When we arrived in the restaurant they also congratulated us, everybody wanted to make our stay special.
I have made my husband promise to take me there next year!!

mutton dressed as lamb

Over priced and over rated.

I stayed for a weekend to attend a wedding.

The view of the hotel from a distance is great and the reception area is beautiful....HOWEVER.....

Outside the hotel they are flying a union jack flag that is all ripped and tatty. What an insult!

The buttons in the lift were broken. You had to stick your finger into a hole where the light bulb used to be!

I arrived on the Friday night and was given a pokey little room. You would bang your head on the sloping ceiling when you stood up to get out of bed.

The room was not very nice. The wall paper was stained and marked. There was a stain on the chair in the room.

The bathroom was really small. There was a heated towel rail situated directly next to the toilet. If you went to the loo in the night you could end up putting your knee against it and burning yourself.

On the friday night, we went down for dinner. The table next to us kept complaining that they had asked for a jug of water 3 times.

We had the same problem - we had to keep asking for wine.

It was ages between first course and main course. The starter was very small. The main course was horrible. The rice had not been properly cooked and was very hard.

Dinner for 2 cost 100 pounds.

The people on the next table to us asked the waitress if there was anything vegan on the menu. The waitress replied "what's that!"

Room service was also dire. They delivered the wrong items to our room. A friend who is veggie ordered breakfast room service and they gave him bacon, despite the fact that he only ticked the veggie options on the menu card.

We attended at a wedding reception on the Saturday. The main course meat tasted cheap and the pudding tasted foul.

The bar is very expensive - upto 15 pounds for 3 basic drinks.

The buffet for the evening guests did not turn up until after 11pm.

The hotel is trying to sell itself as a top of the range luxury hotel. However, it does not live upto this reputation.

Lived up to its appearance

by TripAdvisor Member greenhey

This hotel has had mixed reviews but our experience was good.
the room was big, well-furnished and clean; the leisure centre better than many , the restaurant good tho wine prices greedy

Four Star, NO WAY! Much better value elsewhere!

Very disappointed, l expected a lot from this hotel and it just didn't deliver. The entrance to the hotel was grand and the welcome was excellent. But then we were whisked off to the new wing of the hotel where we were put in a pokey little room. There was a hole in the wall next to the light switch and the heated handrail in the bathroom didn't work. The worst of all was that the bathroom had obviously been given a very quick clean. There were still peoples hairs on the bathroom floor and the toilet was not properly cleaned.
Then night-time came, l thought l was back in university halls, BANG BANG, slamming of doors all night!!! I was meant to be going away for a relaxing couple of days and came back sleep deprived. I'd expect this from a cheap budget hotel but not a four star that we had payed decent money for.
The hotel's only saving grace was its's food, which was excellent.
Don't judge a hotel by it's star rating l've stayed in much nicer 3 stars for less money. Avoid if you like clean bathrooms, decent sleep and value for money!

Distinctly average

by TripAdvisor Member alanacohen

The good points of this hotel were the restaurant and the leisure facilities. When driving up to this hotel and entering the lobby it all feels very grand and I was eagerly anticipating seeing our room.

When we got to our room however it was nowhere near as grand. For starters when I booked the room I thought we would be staying in a lovely old country style hotel, only to find ourselves in a new extension built on the back. In the room there was a hole in the wall by the light switch, shabby furniture however it was mostly clean and tidy. The food in the restaurant was excellent and the pool was nice, but was shocked to be charged £1 to hire a towel.

If you want to stay in a grand hotel in the country, don't stay here. The views are lovely but the hotel is not. Very average rooms with nothing to get excited about.

Don't be fooled by the grand appearance

by TripAdvisor Member Zinful54

We recently attended a wedding reception at this supposedly grand manor house.
The venue was really less than average, the place is rather scruffy and in poor repair, corridors smell of damp and other foul smells.
The staff not very helpful, my wife had a headache and asked for a couple of pills, we were directed to reception who tried to charge 8 pounds for a first aid kit, we declined and amanged to obtain some from another guest.
The wedding meal was late , and very poor, the meat 9lamb) was like rubber and the few vegetables were bland and overcooked.
The bars have very poor ventilation so non smokers had to suffer .
I would not recommend this Hall to anyone at any cost, we just feel sorry for the families who must have been embarrased over the choice of this venue.

Overpriced and badly managed

by TripAdvisor Member Tim-Helen

I stayed here as I was attending a wedding. Although the hotel is grand in appearance and the room prices are higher than average, it seemed to make sense to pay the extra money to stay here rather than having to worry about taxis in the small hours of the morning. Before I launch into my complaints, I must say that the breakfast was excellent. Although there are only about 60 covers in the restaurant, I got there early and did not have to queue.

The room was ok, with a large bathroom, although the view was of a refuse storage area and a brick wall. It was situated right over the wedding reception, and when the music got into full swing in the evening, everything could be heard from the room - I could even pick out individual people's voices. Not a problem for me, as I was attending the wedding, and I only went back to the room to change clothes, but this would have been very difficult for other guests or people with babies and young children needing to get to sleep early.

Although the wine list is quite extensive, the bar only had a small selection (3) of these available. Prices start at about £16.00 per bottle, and there was a bottle on the menu for £23, which I have seen in a supermarket for £5 - a mark up of 460%. I didn't want one of the three bottles available, and so I asked for a wine which wasn't stored behind the bar, and the member of staff made it clear that he did not like being inconvenienced at having to make the short journey to the restaurant to get the wine I wanted. There were also no credit card facilities at the bar in the wedding reception area, which was a problem for some friends who were not staying at the hotel and who had quite quickly run out of cash. Cashback was available at reception, but only to a maximum of £50, which wouldn't go very far during the course of a wedding reception. I ended up putting their drinks on my room account to help them out.

The organisation of the food was badly managed, and it was very late in coming. The transition from the wedding breakfast to the evening reception was also shambolic. Apart from the staff at reception, the rest ranged from very ordinary to poor. I have stayed in both less grand and grander hotels that this, and in both types I have paid less money and received far better service than I encountered here. I will not stay here again.

Splendid hotel

My wife and I recently visited the hotel as part of a friend's wedding and enjoyed our stay thoroughly. Despite the hotel being very busy at the time there was never a member of staff far off who couldn't help us out and the people at reception were most welcoming and informative. The dinner was lovely and the DJ wasn't too annoying, which makes a change! The room was very pleasant however i would have had a hard time getting to my room if it weren't for a member of staff who took me most of the way. Well recommended.

Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member BabsUk

Am puzzled about the negative reviews on your site.
We travel extensively all over the world and were delighted with our beautiful room, staff, food and cleanliness at Shrigley.
We were going to a wedding nearby and the whole experience is a wonderful memory.
On the day of the wedding we breakfasted (delish and large variety) visited the spotlessly clean health club where staff were v. helpful and cheerful. We went on to the wedding, returned to a tray and beverages left out for us (complimentary) a comfortable bed and loads of hot water, fluffy towels and samples for our ablutions.
Staff offered to carry our luggage and were especially charming on reception (Niall, a super bloke).
Magnificient building with sparkling chandeliers, as seasoned travellers, we were impressed.
Barbara and David Steward