Stretton Road, Stretton, Warrington, Cheshire, WA4 4NS, United Kingdom
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Rated 23% higher but also costs 40% more than other 4 star hotels

More about Park Royal Hotel

Excellent Weekend !!!!

After reading the Gentlemans review proir to my Wife and I Anniversary treat, I was a little hesitant to say the least.
But how wrong we was to even consider cancelling !! It was an excellent weekend, we had a three course meal on our first night, which was as good as we have ever eaten, and the resturant even though down sized due to refurbishment was as good if not better than any other Hotel we had dined at.
There was slight signs of construction work going on, but only noticed by partition walls to prevent guest being inconvienenced by seeing incomplete refurbishment.
The rooms were very well sized & had all the usual refinements,Colour Satalite TV, Iron & Ironing board,Drinks Fridge, etc.
The lighting in the rooms were well set out and allowed many variations of light settings to enjoy the very comfortable rooms.The en-suite facilities were very modern and again well lit.
The Leisure facilities were again excellent, and the inconvienence of refurbishment again was to a minimum.
Any Guest knowing about the very slight inconvienence of the refurbishment,should not be dissapointed what so ever, unless they are of Regal Standards and feel they have to complain for the sake of it!!!
If you have the Breakfast included, again a very large selection of excellently prepared food & beverages to be enjoyed.
The only small downside of this hotel was that it didn't have Air Conditioning, & due to the searing tempratures the weekend we stayed, it was slightly discomforting, but being on the second floor having the windows open it was well enough aired.
But overall, My wife and I found all the Staff very curtious and helpful at all times, which in turn added to our lovely weekend, we hope to have the oppertunity to take advantage of this very fine establishment again in the near future..

Hot!!!!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member stjones

We were at the Park Royal for my daughters wedding. The wedding was absolutely superb, well organised, good food, excellent room. However we had the most horrendous stay in the rooms. I had booked two rooms (one for aunt and uncle, and despite requesting that the hotel did not ask them for any money it was all to be charged to my bill, guess what they did embarrass the poor couple), to add insult to injury when my wife tried to obtain the key to the room during a break in the proceeding she was not allowed it until they had taken an imprint of a credit card, despite already having my details from our original booking and deposit. My sister who was passing reception had to oblige.
When we approached the room via a myriad of passageways it became hotter and hotter, eventually we entered our room which was absolutely stifling. I went down to reception and asked for a fan (I was duly added to a list of about 20 other rooms needing a fan, the gent on reception stated that they might have some fans he would see, I said well B & Q's still open if you hurry also I said I can overlook the fact that we are just above the waste yard with 3 open skips and a constant hum from a generator oor fan but i cannot stay in that room without some form of fan) After about an hour in the room we decided that despite taking cold showers it was better to get out and rejoin the resumption of the festivities (no fan had turned up). We left the windows open (all 6 inches of openable space) and the lights off so we did not attract any nightlife). Afetr a brilliant night in the evening reception we retired to the room at about 2 am only to find that it was still unbelievably hot (my guess was in excess of 30 degrees celsius) somebody had entered the room and put a 6 ins diameter fan in and kindly left all the lights on and the net curtains were covered in moths literally.
We then tried to sleep but too no avail, I even ran a cold bath at 3.30 am and sat in it to try and cool down. I was even trying to calculate whether or not i was sober enough to drive home . I didn't. Finally I achieved about two hours sleep and at the first opportunity we rushed down for breakfast (which was excellent) and left at the first chance after thanking our guests etc. I did not complain to the hotel because I thought what was the point so many others had suffered and it is hardly likely that this was the first time they had had this problem so they were unlikely to offer a rebate. I do think that knowing of the problem they could have taken more precautions and having spent so much on a refurb why oh why did they not at least install some kind of comfort cooling. Still us British have such low expectations of hotels that they are allowed to get away with this sort of treatment. The whole point of a hotel is to provide visitors a good nights sleep and this hotel certainly failed to provide this for me and all of the 60+ people who stayed for my daughters wedding.
By all means have your wedding reception here it was very very good but do not risk staying here in summer.

Tooooo hot!

by TripAdvisor Member PenLondon

I stayed one night at the Park Royal attending my niece's wedding on 22 July 2006.

Whilst the organisation of the wedding itself was excellent, the hotel did not match up to expectations.

There is NO air con/comfort cooling in the bedrooms or hallways. Admittedly, the weekend in question was one of the hottest weekends on record but, nevertheless, the temperature was simply unacceptable. The hotel could not provide fans for everyone and those that were provided were too small to be of much use. The high temperature was exacerbated by an instruction not to open windows as there was scaffolding outside the rooms - security hazard.

Our bedroom was in a relatively poor state of repair with loose plaster/paper/paint at ceiling level.

Despite having ordered a Zbed well in advance and having reminded the hotel of this on our arrival, we still had to chase the staff to have the bed delivered at midnight!

The breakfast - one of the highlights of my family's stays in hotels was poor. Barely cooked sausages, questionable scrambled egg (could have been powdered!), grumpy staff, etc.

Overall - disappointing

Only complaint - its still very hot

by TripAdvisor Member Seaford,EastSussex

Having stayed at the hotel on a business trip earlier this year, during the renovation, I needed to find a hotel for a family visit to Manchester for the weekend. Having been suitably impressed even during the renovation we decided on the very competitive summer package available, we stayed for two nights.

From the levels of service from the staff to the quality of food and cleanliness of the hotel, it is worthy of its four star rating. The weekend package at this level offers relatively very good value compared to other local hotels.

The only minus, which has been commented on by others, is the the temperature of the rooms. There was no heating on in the rooms and the outside temperature during the nights was relatively cool, but it was still uncomfortably hot and made it difficult to sleep. I have no idea why it should be so hot and it is a shame to be a blot on what otherwise is a great hotel.

A good experience

by TripAdvisor Member Grechophile

We got a two night deal at this hotel with dinner provided on the first night. We arrived and were given a room that ,whilst it was pleasant enough ,had two tiny windows that made the room look quite gloomy. We asked to be moved and they sent a porter along to show us another room and carry our bags if necessary. The second room, on the ground floor, was light airy and well equipped. Dinner was really very good. The only downside was paying so much for a house wine that really was not worth it. One realises that there must be a mark up on wine but it was ludicrous. The food was wonderful - tasty and well presented. The service also was excellent; friendly and unobtrusive. The dining room however is not the most atmospheric place I have come across.
The next afternoon we spent in a Stockton Heath about a ten minute drive away - nice place to while away the time . In the evening we had an evening meal in the Cat and Lion about a five minute walk away from the hotel. The pub was absolutely fine They did a deal with two meals for ten pounds and it was excellent. Once again the staff int he pub were really very welcoming.

So near and yet.....

by TripAdvisor Member BeckyH

The Park Royal should be a wonderful hotel. On arrival we were delighted to find a wonderful reception/bar area , all newly refurbished. The check in staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was down in the bowels of the basement but it was lovely - very clean, very quiet (despite the builders!) and a very comfortable bed. The hotel is in a great location. If you are travelling with children the 'Amazing maize maze' is literally two minutes away and it's great fun. Also Chester and Gulliver's World were brilliant days out.
Unfortunately there were a number of problems. On our first night the service at dinner was diabolically slow. We waited 25 minutes for drinks and in all dinner took two hours - a nightmare with two children under three! This was despite the restaurant being nearly empty when we arrived. My liver was like shoe leather and the spinach with my husbands fish was so gritty he was literally retching.A shame as the starters were lovely. At breakfast it was all very undercooked with pale sausages and unset fried eggs. We had no paper delivered on both mornings. The shower kept flicking between hot and cold. The kettle had a frayed flex which had to be replaced. we were woken at 7am by an unordered alarm call. All just small but irritating things!
Overall we enjoyed our time at the Park Royal but we would never go back. It's too much of a business hotel and the food wasn't good enough. We trotted off down the road to the 'Cat & Lion' by the travellodge and it was excellent!

a wonderful weekend away

by TripAdvisor Member ladydec

i am very dissapointed to read such negative reviews about this hotel as we found it one of the most cleanest,comfortable,modern hotels we have stayed in in england for quite sometime. the leisure facilities were excellent, pool very clean and warm and nice soft towels. the bedroom was very spacious, thoughtfully done out in furnishings and a nice comfy bed. the restaurant was very clean and plenty of choice for breakfast and all very warm.we will definately be staying again for the weekend in the near future.

Expensive

by TripAdvisor Member coupd'etat

Stayed for 3 nights in late January, on business.
Nice setting for a hotel, visually impressive from front entrance, and looks nice as you check in. Check in was ok, room was nice and clean, bed was very comfortable. Hotel had excellent leisure facilities, a good sized pool, and a sizeable gym with lots of different weight machines.
Bar area was always freezing! when asked to turn up the heating, the staff said there was nothing they could do. The restaurant looked promising from the menu, and while the food was nice, it took 2 hours from ordering to getting our main courses. The dishes were also very expensive.
It wasn't a bad hotel, although i didn't think it did anything that made it stand out from any other hotels, and with it being twice the price of alot of other hotels, i wouldn't go back again.

Loved it

by TripAdvisor Member elmo72

My gran and I stayed at this hotel in 2006. We were very impressed by the size and cleanliness of the rooms. The beds are extremely comfortable and for the first time in ages my nan had a couple of really good nights sleep which we were sure was down to the bed! We can't comment on the leisure facilities because we didn't have chance to use them. We got a special deal which included tickets to the zoo and a three course meal in the evening. The food in the restaurant could not be faulted. The only down-side was that the bottle of rose wise was quite expensive at £17.00 and we had to ask for our desserts as we had been forgotten about. Breakfast was ample and again no problems. All in all we would not hesitate going back. We are in fact staying again next month!

by TripAdvisor Member Julian & Sue

The Park Royal is part of the Q Hotels group and we have stayed at several other hotels in the group. However this one has been the best by far on service with such helpful and obliging staff. The Spa area is much larger than the average hotel pool, with steam room and sauna. All very relaxing at the end of a busy day. Breakfast time in the restaurant was very busy due to a wedding party staying in the hotel. Once again calm and helpful staff and without doubt the best hotel breakfast ever and we are well travelled due to business and pleasure.
Unfortunately we were unable to book a table in the restaurant for the evening as it was full with the wedding party, so we asked the young lady on the restaurant desk wher we could go locally. She suggesetd Piccalino in the next village of Stockton Heath and as we love italian food that is where we booked and once again excellent. Having enjoyed our break there so much, which was a business trip, we will definately be going back for pleasure next time. Hopefully very soon.

Comments