Newport Road, Middlesbrough, TS1 1EL, United Kingdom
Orbitz.com Travelocity

More about Middlesbrough

View onto the industrial area near St. Hilda'sView onto the industrial area near St. Hilda's

The Old Town Hall in St. Hilda'sThe Old Town Hall in St. Hilda's

Dorman MuseumDorman Museum

The fairThe fair

Travel Tips for Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough Tip

by sambarnett

When I found out my best buddy Murph (the fella on the right in the above picture) was being transfered out to England I promised him (and myself) that if he would be there for more than a year I would visit. Fortunately he was, and I began a great journey. For most people at trip to England is not much more than a visit to London, and I feel very fortunate to have spent a good deal of time in Yorkshire, getting to meet lots of friendly and down to Earth locals, drinking in pubs and admiring the rugged yet oh so green countryside.
Pictured: High Street, Redcar

Redcar: A nice town on the North Sea. Nothing much of interest for tourist, but lots of friendly people! The locals told me that 'Iron Lady' and 'Woman In Disguise'* Maggie Thatcher has a summer home here.
* If you get that reference please email me, you are cool.
Scarborough: Will always have a place in my heart as it was the first castle I'd ever seen. The locals were lulling the fine spring day at the beach and the town was dead.
Whitby: Stunning, evocative and certainly worth a visit (or at least a seperate listing here on VT!)
Middlesbrough: I only spent five minutes here, three of which were spent in the loo. I really had to go!

Bruised Knees and a Sore Bum

by keeweechic

There is not a great deal I remember about the Middlesbrough/Billingham area. My fondest memories were spending time with family. Having my first shakey experience at ice skating and being taught (or rather being raced around the rink!) by an ex Billingham Bomber :-), being introduced to Baby Shams, 50/50's, White Russians and Mushy Peas. Being taken along to various local pubs and hardly understanding anyone. Exploring the wonderful Lake District, York, the Dales, the Moors and Whitby. Those certainly are my fondest memories.

Weather

by keeweechic

Winters tend to be long and tough while Spring comes late and only lasts a short while. Summer temperatures are generally cool to mild. On the plus side, the annual rainfall is amongst the lowest in the country which is thanks largely to the county sitting in the lee ('rain shadow') of the Pennine uplands.

Chris Rea of Middlesbrough

by sabsi

British singer Chris Rea is from Middlesbrough and I can't stand his music. His parents used to have an ice cream shop in the centre of Middlesbrough. You can see the building the shop was in on this picture.

Steve and Susan threatened they's torture me with his music in the car which fortunately never happened!

Hartlepool

by keeweechic

Hartlepool's origins can be traced back to the 640 AD. The Norman church of St Hilda dates from 1185 and stands on a prominent place on the headland. Hartlepool was formed by the amalgamation of two towns, Hartlepool and West Hartlepool.

The towns grew up around a huge dock complex and the docks are used for importing timber from all over the world. There are also large areas for the storage of cars which have been built in Europe.

Comments