Washaway, Bodmin, PL30 3AD, United Kingdom
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Bodmin

cold and darkcold and dark

Bodmin Shire HallBodmin Shire Hall

Roscrea gardensRoscrea gardens

Stone CirclesStone Circles

Travel Tips for Bodmin

Look up, look up!

by Geoff_Wright

Of course, the town of Bodmin is by-passed now by the A30 dual carriageway. But the town has a host of interesting places to see, besides the pleasant shopping areas. But don't just look in the shop windows, look AT the buildings. This is a picture of the Bodmin Town Library building, constructed of local stone and granite. Imposing isn't it?

Cornish tin mines

by Bwana_Brown

The owners of the Lanhydrock estate made their mark in the world primarily though the profits arising from their tin-mining interests. This is a very old industry in Cornwall, dating from at least 330 BC, although it really hit its peak between the period 1840-1865. The numerous veins of tin and copper occuring in Cornwall led to many mines being developed along the coast, often requiring a great deal of digging to follow the veins of ore down to sea level and even out beneath the seabed. This view of the Wheal Coates tin mine near St Agnes (closer to Truro than it is to Bodmin) shows its restored Engine House and the stack associated with the steam boiler required to drive the engine. The job of the engine was to help drill shafts, pump water out of the mine and run the lifts to deliver the miners and retrieve the ore.

The third photo is of the Botallack mine complex on the north coast at St Just, and only a few miles from Land's End - a spot we visited on our first trip to Cornwall in July, 1979! Although mining is known to have taken place at Botallack as far back as 1721, this mine operated from 1815 to 1914 before the ore ran out.

Ancient Lanes too

by Geoff_Wright

This is Chapel Lane, although I don't think there is any chapel now. There are several of these tiny alleyways, leading from the High Street to the area which was formerly served by the Town Railway Station, and also the cattle Market. Some of them have tiny shops in them, others are merely the ends of the terraced houses.

Bodmin...a typical Cornish town.

by lou31

"Bodmin?....where's that?"

Well I actually ended up in Bodmin quite by accident. On my last UK trip my number one destination was nearby Port Isaac. I didn't have a car and as it turned out the only way I could get there was by public bus from Wadebridge. The nearest train station however was at Bodmin. So to Bodmin I went!

I was filled with apprehension about going there as I knew nothing about the place and it had never been on my itinery. I remember arriving at the train station which is quite a ways out of town and not knowing where the hell I was going to end up. Anyway it all turned out well.
My B&B which I had only booked the day before was very nice and the people there very friendly and helpful.

I remember thinking Bodmin?...what the heck am I going to do there for 2 days?

Anyway after I got there I noticed signs to Padstow and more interestingly it was on the local bus timetable. Now Padstow was one place I had originally wanted to see but had crossed it off the list as I had thought it too difficult to reach. I was having enough trouble getting to Port Isaac.

Anyway I solved the problem of what to do by spending a day at this delightful little harbour town which is just a short bus ride away.

When I left this Bodmin I took with me some nice memories. It was a pretty place and surrounded by some georgeos countryside. The town itself seems to be built on a series of gently rolling hills. The town centre had some nice shops and the whole place had a pleasant quirky feel to it.

Comments