Gyllgvase Beach, The Seafront, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 4NB, United Kingdom

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about St Michael's Hotel & Spa

Style over substance

by TripAdvisor Member PoopyCornwall

Received a one night stay as a gift. On arrival were shown to our sea view room situated in the eaves (no 85). On entering the room both me and my wife noticed a damp smell which had the distinct fragrance of 'Oust' odour neutralizer. Discovered carpet was wet due to leaky radiator also meaning no heating.Duty Manager called and we were told no other sea view rooms available, indeed the only alternative room was situated in the Captains Lodge annexe. We viewed the room which was situated in what looked suspiciously like staff accommodation, tiny room obviously usually let as a single and with inferior furnishings. On rejecting this to another room was found on the lower level of the Hotel (no 33) which by no means large was pleasant enough. Dinnner in Restaurant faultless, good food and excellent service. Breakfast another matter, poor selection and lengthy wait for hot buffet replenishment. Sausage not cooked and when I complained to Waitress all she did was remove sausage to my side plate, at this point I walked out. At £178 for the night appalling value, albeit they allowed a £40 discount for the problems also offered a free nights future stay
but I'm afraid we declined this - once bitten twice shy.

Not As Good As Its Made Out to Be

by TripAdvisor Member bigwaverider9

Stayed here for a one night getaway.
Chose this hotel because of all the fancy adverts saying how good the food was.( The Flying Fish) resturant
on arrival found the small carpark full so parked on the road. reception staff excellent room very clean and well presented.
before dinner went for a drink in the bar sat in the non smoking part. the hotel is fitness orintated and has two enterances to the gym. one is a bit out of the way and the other is through the non smoking side of the bar. so having a quiet drink was interupted with beefcakes strutting around trying to work out how to open the door. really really bad layout.
O.K. now the dinner as this is what we came for. very very small portions very limited choice. fish fish fish and veggie and a rude front of house manager. after our starters were eaten we noticed that everyone else was being served bread before starters, we wern't. so on leaving mentioned it to the manager who said 'you should have asked do you want a piece now' no apology. i should have said 'yes a loaf will do as i'm still hungry'
the bill on departure was all over the place, things we had bought were not listed and items we didn't were. there was a que on check out and others had the same problem. so check the bill.
will not visit again!!!!

can't wait to go again!

by TripAdvisor Member happybunnyPenzance

my husband & i enjoyed a 2 night break last month at this hotel as a treat from my parents. beautiful gardens, pleasant clean room with very comfortable bed, altho no shelf in bathroom for toiletries (minor issue), friendly staff - nothing was too much trouble, lovely spa and leisure facilities. we dined in the flying fish restaurant one evening & the food was great & reasonably priced. we'll definately return (when we can persuade someone to have the children overnight!)

Don't waste your money go elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member traveller2608

The reason this hotel requested full (non refundable) payment up front was clear within hours of checking in. Do not belive the web site or the brochures the hotel is nothing like this!! Really disappointing. In fact we checked out early despite not getting a refund on one night's accommodation.

Our room was a good size but was directly over looked by at least 3 other rooms and had a grubby carpet and tired,grease marked furniture, bobbly yellowing sheets, lights that did not work, a flat battery in the air conditioning remote control -rendering this facility useless - and zipped together beds with no padding making an uncomfortable central ridge in the bed.

The Oyster restaurant may have AA rostte recognition but has anyone recently checked on the breakfast service? We found a luke warm cooked breakfast buffet which ran out and was not replaced within the last 1/2 hour of service. Cleary some items eg eggs had been there for in excess of one hour and were rendered inedible. 'Freshly baked pastries' were obviously microwaved and positively wet. Add this to sitting amongst uncleared tables listening to waiting staff chatting about their social lives - not great value at more than £11 each per breakfast.

'SPA' does not mean 'SPA' - instead read 'creche'. Children of the screaming variety outweighed parents of the 'aim-to-stop-my-child-from-screaming' variety during the day and evening and despite signs asking them not to children were in the jacuzzi and sauna meaning adults wanting to use these facilities in peace could not do so either. This ruined what would otherwise have been good facilities. Having said this this would be great for young noisy families!! Just don't call it a SPA.

This all sounds fairly harsh as I normally give a balanced review but one thing on top of another takes its toll ... So heres the good things - friendly, helpful reception staff, good location, free parking, good range of spa treatments on offer. Would we go again? - definitely not. Would we recommend it to anyone? - perhaps those with young families looking for an alternative to Centre Parcs otherwise no.

Fantastic friendly hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Roseblade

Myself, my partner and our ten month old baby stayed for five nights at this hotel at the end of August and we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. We requested a large room and we were allocated a large, obviously recently refurbished, very clean room which exeeded our expectations. It did not have a sea view but we did not request one (this option was offered)
The staff were without exeption friendly, helpful and enthusiastic and could not do enough to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. There seemed to be a real mix of holidayers, families, couples of all ages and a few larger groups and from what we saw everyone seemed to be a having a great time. Children were made to feel really welcome and were well catered for but I would not say the place was 'over run' by noisy kids (and despite being a parent I don't particularly enjoy this either!!). On each of the five mornings of our stay the breakfast buffet was plentiful, hot and well cooked and i noticed that the staff were checking to see what was needed quite often.
The ambience of the hotel was modern and comfortable, overall very pleasing. The views over the gardens and sea from the restuarant were absolutely fantastic and we did not realise until a few days into our stay that the hotel is surrounded by lovely gardens (someone obviously puts in a lot of tlcto keep them this nice) and the beach is literally 1 minutes walk from the door of the hotel.
I used the spa on the last day, the facilites were again great (I am quite fussy about pools etc!) and the aromatherapy massage was probably the best i have had, not the cheapest but well worth the cost.
We will definately be recommending this Hotel to our friends and family and plan to return next year!

Great Hotel for the price we paid!

by TripAdvisor Member vicky_taylor58

We booked a 2 night stay at the St Michaels hotel via their website on a late deal so only paid £49 per person per night in a Suite for Dinner, Bed and Breakfast, which I thought was a real bargain! The room was a bit dissapointing as it was in a seperate building called Captains Quarters which was ok but the room was supposed to have a sea view. It did, if you looked over the other buildings in front! As a suite I would have also expected robes which we did not have but the bed was comfy and the shower was great! The realy drawback was that the water supply/bolier was above our room and made some really bad noises when people were using the water - it kept my partner awake so try to avoid room 6.

The pool was nice and we did have some spa treatments which I could not fault but the best bit was the food! The evening meals in the resturant were amazing and the staff were so friendly and helpful. You get a £20 allowance for the evening meal and you spend this on food in whatever way you like. You could have 3 course meal if you chose all the cheapest options but we preffered to have a main course and a pudding. I can highly reccomend the food - the breakfast was good too.

I think I would have been dissapointed had I paid full price for this but keep an eye on their website for great deals.

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Fifi36

We stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights in Sept. It was nice - nothing amazing but still good. The staff were very friendly and the room was a nice standard. The only slight grumble was that our room (60 I think) backed onto the car park so we could hear people outside at night and the delivery vans woke us up early in the morning.
We didn't eat in the restaurant but the breakfast is lovely especially if you can get a table near the window.
The location is good - right on the sea front and the nice beach. It's a little trek into town (10 mins) but no problem at all.
I would recommend this hotel especially if you can get a good deal.

Try another hotel

by TripAdvisor Member CuratorExeter

Stayed here recently on business and was inpressed with website. Stayed in room 71
and could hear every word from couple next door -
up until 2am when they fell asleep.
At breakfast I asked if they did decaf cappucino
and was informed that they did but I would have to
pay extra!
The owners need to be present - standards are
slipping.

Great hotel with friendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member bondchick

A group of us stayed here as organisers for a charity walk for one night and wished we could have stayed longer. The hotel is really lovely and a great sea theme going on with decking and pebbles everywhere. We got there late into the evening and so didn't see the stunning views until the next morning! Our rooms were a bit on the noisy side and I could even here the person next door snoring which was a bit amusing! Great rooms and everything you could wish for. We had to leave early the next morning and the kind reception staff made us bacon rolls and gave us coffee to set us on our way which was fantastic. Would like to come back again for a more leisurely staff next time and sample some of the spa treatments.

Perfect for a short break

by TripAdvisor Member Roger43

My wife and I booked a 3 night break on DBB terms. The hotel was very well equipped with friendly helpful staff. I am partly disabled and asked for a room with easy access. The room (56), was in the main hotel building, and was on the same level as the bar, restaurant and sun deck,with french windows leading onto a private part of the deck with its own bench.

The restaurant was superb, the speciality sea food was delicious with different dishes each night. The breakfast buffet was well presented and hot and the speciality dishes came quickly. ( I had freshly caught hogs pudding - it was great!).

Whilst we did not use the spa or gymnasium, the swimming pool and jaccuzi were more than satisfactory and the changing rooms were a delight.

The only cloud could be on a longer stay if you were not a fan of sea food, when you might find the menu limiting, but, hey, the restaurant is called the "Flying Fish", what do you expect.

Comments