28 Fore St, Fowey, United Kingdom, PL23 1AQ, Unite
The Old Quay House Hotel
eDreams Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Fowey

View from a town parkView from a town park

Fowey main streetFowey main street

By the harbour in FoweyBy the harbour in Fowey

Fowey harbourFowey harbour

Travel Tips for Fowey

Explore the hidden paths

by MikeAtSea

As you discover Fowey there are plenty of hidden lanes, narrow paths that lead up or down the hill or passed several medieval houses. One of those leads up passed the Church and the Place and one can only imagine how residents and visitors wandered up and down here in medieval times.

The Safe Harbour Hotel

by MikeAtSea

Dating back to the early 1800's this building was known as the Commercial Inn being a stopping place for coach and horses. In those days it was well known for hiring horses and carriages and the original stables were where the bar is now.

Literary Cornwall

by Sjalen

Fowey, pronounced "Foy", is a bit of a hub on the south coast thanks to its literary connections and marvellous setting where the river Fowey meets the sea. It is a great base for touring around the area and should definitely not be missed if you have any interest whatsoever in writing. Cornish born Arthur Quiller-Couch settled here, and so too did authors like Kenneth Grahame and Daphne du Maurier, and there are traces of them everywhere.

Having just seen Polperro the day before, we were not that impressed with the look of Fowey, which is more sprawling and not as "embraced" by the river as Looe and Polperro. Still, it is a very scenic place, and especially if you, like we did, arrive with the passenger ferry from Polruan and can appreciate all the water. We had a look at Fowey's very nice town centre, but the frequent showers meant that we never went for a stroll to the "blockhouse" or the lagoon further out, so what I write here is not entirely fair on Fowey since the coastline really is marvellous (you can see it on my Polruan page where I captured the coast on the Fowey side in my photos).

One can tell that Fowey is a place popular with intellectuals, since there are quite a few famous upmarket restaurants, and some interesting-looking and innovative cafés. This makes it a rather pricey place by Cornish standards but you can stick to the excellent pubs too for sustenance.

The town is a place which did not impress me that much when I first came, but which grew on me and where I think there is a lot that I will have to go back to see in the area. River trips here are for instance not your average river trips but rather more of Wind in the Willow trips...

Fowey

by lucyt

I've decided that I mean to live here just as soon as I win the lottery. It is very lovely although we were hard pressed to find somewhere to eat that cost less than £20 a head - more than I want to fork out for lunch.
Also a shocking lack of fish and chip shops.
We went in January and most of the amenities (ie the aquarium) were closed.

Most of the shops were of the nouveau rural variety that plague most Cornish coastal towns although to be fair most of the shops in Fowey are independent which makes it nicer.

Fowey

by Lozza_9

"Fowey"

We spent about a week in Fowey. Fowey is a lovely village but it is also very hilly.

A friend at work owns a cottage in Fowey and Steve was helping him build a web site so Steve needed to take some pictures.

Comments