Atlantic Hotel

Dane Road, Newquay TR7 1EN, England
The Atlantic Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

More about Atlantic Hotel

Scary Reviews, have just checked and am sending this from my laptop in my room

I have just checked in and was browsing the internet from my laptop via my bluetooth connection through my phone cos the hotel does not have an internet connection, I was horrified to read the bad reviews cos I've just paid in full for a family for one night, but I did check out several other hotels in the area and this had the best staff and cleanest rooms, anyway so far the staff have been very atteentive and given us an excellent service, am just going down to have dinner now its a five course meal, my family are strict vegetarians and the cook has specially prepared dishes of their choice for them, anyway will let you know how we get on, but so far so good

exceeded our expectations

On reading the adverse reviews from trip avisor my family and i were seriously thinking of cancelling our short break holiday. It was too late in the day and i can only say that we enjoyed every aspect of our holiday and the Atlantic exceded our expectations proving to be extremely good value for money

An upto date report on a wedding reception at the hotel

Firstly i will be honest and say if I had - anything to do with the booking of the venue for my daughters reception I would have listened to the messages posted on this site and other media reports and would not have considered this hotel as a venue.
Fortunately for me it was my daughters wedding and she got what she wanted.

I am so pleased that we picked this hotel because the reception and evening function was absolutly fantastic - I am not saying there were no glitches but with a wedding the size we had that was to be expected = but any glitches were corrected immediately by saff who really were keen to be of assistance. Further more I must say that eveyone from the senior mangement to the night porter were absolutly fantastic. Nothing was to much trouble and although plans change regularly during the build up to a wedding - Never was the word NO heared from any of the management staff and business was conducted in a very informal and pleasant environment. The food was superb, hot and served in a very timely manner by staff who had a constant smile on their faces and the general manager who led by example was to the at the helm when it come to rolling his sleeves up and making sure that all the guests were happy.

I must say a big thank you to the Hotel for making my daughters special day a magical one. I can honestly say in my eyes the hotel was really brilliant and would recommend that if you want a hotel reception far a wedding then try this hotel.

Bryn D

Rude receptionist and substandard room for the price

I am an american living in london now and my partner and I wanted a peaceful break away from the city. I found the Atlantic on the web and the pictures/views looked just the ticket and they were indeed beautiful but the room we stayed in 'poolside room' which cost £480.00 for a three night stay was sub-standard, dated/dirty carpet, tile on bathroom floor dirty looking (needing a good bleach job) and the radiator in the bedroom area with a half cut open 2 litre bottle underneath sitting on a towel to catch water. The bathtub/spa's cold water faucet did not work and you had to be a mathemetician to work out how much hot water and then put the shower attachment on cold to get your cold water in the bath....as a nurse this is VERY DANGEROUS. Unsuspecting guests could think they are getting the right amount of cold/hot water and put their body in and get horrfic burns. The receptionist had to be the rudest person I have met....she talked down to me like I was some kind of idiot as opposed to a CUSTOMER who was shelling out £480.00 for three nights stay in her hotel which is keeping her job open for her. The food was okay but paying for water still gets me. As an American... come on now how much does water cost? We EXPECT a glass of water on our table immediately in America or you do not get a tip....FULL STOP!!!! After paying that much for a room, I believe we have already paid for a glass of water with our meals don't you?

Overall, the views are fantastic but this has nothing to do with the owner/management/staff of the hotel but with mother nature....the hotel rooms are dingy and dated and the food is mediocre (I got better pasties in the town centre).

My suggestion to the owner.... 1) get some customer service training for your receptionist who was working at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday 17 July (the large one with the ponytail and glasses), she is terribly rude and condescending to customers....2) Get yourself some training in customer service if you insist on staying as the owner/manager or sell up to someone who does want to give good service....you DO NOT CHARGE FOR WATER FOR GODSAKE!!!!! 3) Get some money put into your rooms i.e. cleaning the carpets, getting new blankets instead of the grungy looking ones you have now, get your water faucets fixed, etc. and get the urine smell out of Poolside 1 room!!!!

I love Newquay and the views are spectacular but I would NOT return to this hotel....A NOTE TO THE OWNER......WE CUSTOMER.......YOU ARE HERE TO SERVE US NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!!!! This from an American who EXPECTS value for her hard earned money.

Absolutely Charming

After booking this hotel, I stumbled across this web page and read the reviews with much dismay. However following my stay there last week i felt i had to write a review. This is an old victorian bulding situated on headland with great views across the ocean and Newquay. The rooms were clean and spacious and, although a little dated, the decor is in keeping with the rest of the hotel, the bathroom was a little on the small side but very clean and functional. Contrary to some of the reviews, i found that all the staff were pleasant, friendly and not too formal which I liked. The food in the restuarant was very nice with a good varied menu. My husband and I stayed for 1 week -half board and I think it was excellent value for money.

Absolutely excellent

Luxurious hotel, fantastic setting, good food, very friendly staff. We intend staying there again.

The tariff paid compared with rate for B&B and Dinner in a hotel we use in an industrial town in the north of England. However, at the Atlantic, for our money we had an extremely comfortable, well-decorated hotel with a massive bedroom, sea views, heated outdoor pool, indoor pool + other leisure activities.

Yes, "extras" were expensive but we find that to be the case at every hotel in which we stay - hotels charge a reasonable rate for accommodation then try to make more of a profit from drinks, etc. It's called "business"!

Fantastic Venue for a Wedding

by TripAdvisor Member Corinneann

We came to Cornwall last March to look for a venue for our wedding – we wanted to find somewhere with the wow factor, and we certainly found it at the Atlantic Hotel. We had our civil ceremony and reception at the hotel and were delighted with everything from start to finish. The location and décor throughout is absolutely superb and the views over the Atlantic Ocean are quite spectacular. We were so proud to hold our wedding there.

All the staff involved were really helpful, friendly and very efficient. The attention to service and detail was second to none.

The food at the reception was excellent and our guests made comments such as “best soup (brocolli and stilton) we have ever tasted” “quiche was really delicious”, “the Cornish pasties were wicked” and “the hot rib of beef was really tasty”.

The hotel offers excellent value for money and we would recommend the Atlantic Hotel as a fantastic venue for whatever event you wish to book.

So bad it was funny

I recently stayed at the Atlantic for one (unforgettable) night on a business trip. Upon arrival I noticed that a smoking room had been reserved for me. Since I do not smoke I asked the receptionist if there were any non-smoking rooms available, expecting her to check on a computer and let me know there and then. Her response was frankly odd, she kept side-stepping the issue and eventually told me to go and 'test' the room and, if I had a problem with it, she would then see if there were any non-smoking rooms available for me. I was astounded, but far too tired after a long day to argue with such a difficult person.

Dinner was poor. I ate with a large group of colleagues and one of the ladies on my table asked at dessert if she may have some fruit instead of the dessert they were serving. The waitress looked at her and said bluntly 'you can have an apple'. A minute or so later she was presented with a sad looking apple with a huge bruise on one side. Much to the annoyance of the waitress she then said that she would prefer the original dessert after all.

People in our group (including invited guests) were shocked to be told that they were not allowed extra water/coffee. Apparently it's the hotel's policy. Did I mention that we had booked almost 20 rooms including breakfast at the hotel and a 3-course meal for approximately 40?

The rooms were shabby and in desperate need of redecoration. The hotel was unbearably hot. That may sound like a trivial complaint but it felt awful - stuffy, sweaty and uncomfortable. Every time any kind of request was made for absolutely anything we were made to feel like a nuisance, an inconvenience. It really was shocking. The staff were rude, indolent and po-faced.

I heard other stories from people I met that night, particularly about the Hotel’s bizarre drinking water policy, but since they are not my personal experience I am reluctant to comment.

I think it would be quite fun to stay at the Atlantic and spend the whole time in role as the world's most awkward visitor - you could really get a rise out of the staff!! Otherwise don't put yourself through it.

Fear Not !!!

by TripAdvisor Member Shackman99

I recently stayed at the Atlantic hotel with my girlfriend but nearly never did, having read some of the shocking reviews listed. I'm so thankful that i never changed my mind on the basis of those reviews!!!

Firstly, the hotel was beautifully situated overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and offered superb early morning sunrises. Secondly the hotel staff where extremely well mannered and happy to offer any service requested, not once was I left to feel an inconveinience to them.

The rooms where spacious if slightly basic, but cleaned each day and the bathrobes where a nice touch. The receptionist was always on hand to take your call and provide useful information, and the breakfast was of a very high standard!

The only qualm I had during my stay was that the sauna was not working, and the seagulls on the window ledge woke me at an early hour (though hardly the fault of the management).

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel and have recommended it to everyone I have met since. On my next return to Newuay I will definitely stay here again, even if that walk up the hill is tiring, particularly when well oiled!!

60th Birthday treat!

by TripAdvisor Member Shep62

My wife and I have just returned from a short stay at The Atlantic (three nights) and, having stayed there previously, my wife thought it would be the ideal venue to take me for my 60th birthday.
Whether it's because we are getting older or whatever, but on this occasion we were disappointed with the accomodation made available to us.
It was supposed to be a Superior Room, given that description I now assume because we could see the sea! The room itself was small, poorly decorated, and generally quite depressing to qualify for the 'Superior' status.

The hotel in general had a somewhat 'damp' smell even though it was generally warm. It felt like the hotel was hardly lived in as the Dining Room didn't appear to be functioning, other than for a wedding on the saturday evening. On the night of our arrival the bar wasn't even open!

There was a Bistro type restaurant available, although this couldn't be charged to our room. Apparently it was a franchise run independant of the hotel itself. We chose not to use it as prices seemed quite high. Feedback from others who had used it though, suggested it was very good.

We felt that the better value for money was at 'Ye Olde Dolphin' restaurant in town for a three course meal, or The Fort, also in Town for a one course snack.

For what it was, the hotel price of £85 per night for B & B was quite pricey, and I doubt very much we would actually use it again. There has GOT to be better in Newquay.

Some area's are unfenced.Some area's are unfenced.

TurtleTurtle

THE ST MAWES HOTEL ENTRANCETHE ST MAWES HOTEL ENTRANCE

i can see you legendi can see you legend

Comments