Newquay Breaks

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Newquay

Basking Shark NewquayBasking Shark Newquay

Operates in Penzance town centre. Tel. 01736 35179Operates in Penzance town centre. Tel. 01736 35179

Kitchen of a "Trenance" holiday homeKitchen of a "Trenance" holiday home

"bloody hell !!""bloody hell !!"

Travel Tips for Newquay

Surfing at Sunset

by sunshinejo

This is my favourite time of day to surf. Partly because there are a lot less people in the water than there are during the day, but also because it's just SOOOOOO beautiful! I regularly find myself wishing that I had a camera with me, but of course that's not very practical!

Even before I started surfing, I found it really relaxing just to come down to the beach, or find a spot on the headland where I can watch the surfers, and enjoy the fading sun lighting up the sea and the sky.

Although Fistral is the most popular spot, I usually prefer to go to Great Western, especially at low tide, from where you can see the headland silhouetted against the sunset, plus it's a lot quieter than Fistral so it's more peaceful and relaxing. If you're not going to be getting in the water, then my fave spot to watch the surfers is the headland just beyond Tolcarne Beach. There's a small grassy area with benches where the disabled access path leads down to the beach. From here you get great views over Tolcarne, Great Western and Towan Beaches all the way to the Headland. Surfboard or camera, depending on whether you're going to be in or out of the water

The surfers beach - Fistral, Newquay

by Kevin-UK

We took a 3 day break in Newquay to celeblate our wedding anniversary.
Newquay is totally geared up for the surfer, young or old, there is plenty of accomodation for all prices ranges. We stayed in the Quire Hotel, about £50 per double room per night, with breakfast.
The main town has the same shops as any other small UK town, however there are plenty of surf shops scattered around. There are T-shirt/Hoodie shops that print on site, shops with all the top names of clothing and plenty of board sales and hire shops.
There are 3 or maybe 4 beaches, Fistral though is the one to visit for good, safe surfing. While we were on the beach there were two 4x4 pick-ups, run by the Lifeguard service, right down by the surf, there is also a control post at the back of the beach. Flags are placed by the lifeguards to show where it is safe to surf and the full size boards are separated from the body-borders for safety.
Yes, I did have a go. I hired a "foamie" and a wetsuit for £16 for the day, til 5.30pm. This was my first ever attempt at using a full size board and after about 45 mins I actually managed to stand to complete my "run" and I dismounted gracefully. In my opinion Fistral Beach is well set up for anyone that wants to give surfing a go whether for the first time or as an expert.

"Food and Hotel"

We ate well this trip. The Breakfast at the hotel, included in the price, was a full English, now I'm a bit critical with other people's cooking, and although it was all there the breakfast was based on "easy to serve a lot of people" type food. Sausage, egg, bacon, mushrooms and fried bread, yes, but beans, tinned tomatoes and hash browns just spoil it for me.
You did have other choices but all reflected the same sort of "that'll do for them" attitude. Room was "ok", shower "ok", a nice little touch was a DVD player in each room, and selected Sky channels, with a massive library of DVD's to borrow for free. Another nice touch was the free Internet (wireless) throughout the hotel, or if you didn't have your own laptop you could use the one in the lobby.
We had a cream tea, very nice too, lunch was at the Fistral Blu, right on the beach, and lunch was so good we booked a table for the evening. The food was very good there, maybe a little expensive but then you get what you pay for. We ate at Senor Dicks one night, that was Mexican, very good food, good service and a nice atmosphere.

Comments